Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
"little orphan Annie " hair

Kumphort

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:03 pm
My 2.5 year old daughter has very curly hair, which she didn't get from me, so I don't have any experience with curly hair. Right after a bath, her hair looks really cute and curly. But after a night if sleeping on it. It's one big mushroom. Does anyone have any good advice on how to easily care for curly hair. Without too much products if possible.

Also is there any way of encouraging the hair to get length as opposed to just getting bigger?

observer

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:13 pm
After a bath, can you gather the top hair into a little half-pony? this way the top will be straight-ish and the bottom will me curls?

newlymarried

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:25 pm
I have the exact same "problem"-my daughter also got really curly hair, from my husband. What I do is put in a generous amount of conditioner, and then comb it, but do not rinse. In the morning you can just wet it a little bit to "freshen" it. Now it's long enough to put the whole thing in apony, but I used to put a clip in the front, to hold it down, or make a small half pony on the side

michal817

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:30 pm
Never brush her hair when it's dry - only when it's wet! Observer's idea is also a good one, and in general the longer curly hair is, the more weighed down it is (and therefore less "Annie" like).

SZH

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:32 pm
Use a good conditioner after washing her hair. In the morning use a spray bottle with water to make her hair damp . If needed you can add a little bit of conditioner to the water top make it in to a de-tangler

Simple1

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:38 pm
michal817 wrote:
Never brush her hair when it's dry - only when it's wet! Observer's idea is also a good one, and in general the longer curly hair is, the more weighed down it is (and therefore less "Annie" like).

And if you have to brush, use a wet brush. I also came across recently Pantene for curly hair - they have shampoo and conditioner.

OldYoung

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:54 pm
I use a spray bottle with water in it in the morning, that way it looks like it does when she comes out of the bath.

Kumphort

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:55 pm
Thanks. I do try and clip up the top in the morning. It's just the winter dryness makes all the curls undone and gives so it just sticks straight up. What do you mean by leaving in the conditioner. Do you use special leave in conditioner? I can't wait for the summer humidity to come back. If I do want to use a gel or something to hold the curls(upcoming family simcha). What's a good product for that

schneiderface

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 9:56 pm
My daughter also has very very curly hair. It is best after you shampoo it lather the hair in conditioner. It should be adult conditioner not the baby stuff it doesn't work as well. I agree with another poster pantene makes a good one for curly hair. Once you lather it use a wide tooth comb and comb it out in the bath it does wonders. Like other say don't brush while dry also ponytails are a life saver. You should also only go to a professional who knows how to cut curly hair. If you cut it wrong it can be a disaster lamp shade like or worse bozo the clown look. I also found something through the hair dresser they were kiddy ones that cut hair for children this brush is called the GENIE BRUSH its amazing works great and it doesn't hurt.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 11:19 pm
I use Johnson and Johnson No More Tangles spray in the morning. Brush out the tangles. Then crimp the hair back to the way it looks naturally after the bath.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 05 2012, 11:46 pm
I think using conditioner on a 2 1/2 year old is a bit "brutal". Both of my DD's have such hair & they always look gorgeous thanks to a hairdresser that taught me the basic trick. Spray their hair in the morning with plain water in a spray bottle and brush it out with the flat brush with plastic wide bristles. Then you put your palm of your hand on the bottom of the hair & pump it up around & around (kind of like "messing her hair up" then let it dry. In the winter days I do their hair 1st thing so it dries before they leave to school.

I add a drop of THIS MOUSSE on a day that I want it to be really really perfect & not even a drop frizzy.

I keep their hair shoulder length & stick in a huge bow or headband in the front to keep their hair outta their eyes.

Good luck. Enjoy the beauty!

cbsmommy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 12:34 am
We've been using conditioner since DD turned two. We tend to use Burts bees and California Baby conditioner and hair detangler. DD knows that she has to sit still while her hair is wet to get the knots out - and use a wide tooth comb, not a brush! in the morning, we re-spritz and ponytail if mommy is home. Otherwise, we re-spritz and stick in a headband (if Abba is home).

For longer lasting staying power, just comb some regular leave-in-conditioner (pantene works) or some loreal hair creme. Don't mess with mouse or gel b/c both can cause helmet hair.

Marriedinisrael

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 8:30 am
Just adding in another vote for what everyone else said: conditioner! Although, my daughter's is STILL not long enough yet to have to battle it every day- it's too close to her head, but I appreciate the tips for when I'll have to!

thatgirl

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 3:08 pm
I had extremely curly hair ( afro hair ) growing up. Dont cut her hair let it grow long. You can brush her curls before the shower and while she is in the water brush her hair welll. I had a friend who used bean oil and I had another friend who would leave a little bit of conditioner in her hair after she showered and it hardened the curls. I always used regular mouse as I found it easier to deal with then jell but jell might work better for her hair. Also her hair shouldnt need shampoo too often since its probabbly naturally dry.
To make it cute mouse each curl individually. it will dry looking really cute.

LibraMommy

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 3:13 pm
My 4 yr old daughter has this hair too.

jross214

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 3:33 pm
I agree with the posters about conditioner.

I have extremely curly/kinky hair as does my daughter. We wash our hair in the morning, leave a bit of the conditioner in (pantene curly or herbal essences twisted), wide comb through and let dry.

It looks fantatstic!

bluebird

Post Mon, Feb 06 2012, 11:20 pm
michal817 wrote:

I wouldn't brush at all, ever. Just comb it out when wet. Brushing just makes it frizzy.

Don't shampoo every time if she has dry hair. It will just dry it out more and make it frizzier. Unless it's dirty, every other time is fine. You can gently massage the scalp with conditioner to break up and loosen extra oil and it will rinse right out.

Try reading a bit on this site: http://www.naturallycurly.com/...../kids . Tons of good advice!

persephonefalls

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 10:32 am
My daughter is a year and a half, also with super curly hair. We never brush her hair, we just comb it out when it's wet with conditioner in it. I clip her hair back out of her eyes, and when it gets really crazy, I put it up in pigtails, and then it looks adorable instead of insane.

tikva18

Post Tue, Feb 07 2012, 3:15 pm
www.tightlycurly.com I never, ever use a brush on my dd - and only condition her hair. I condition it once and wash it out, then condition a second time and leave it in. I use regular conditioner - not a leave in one. However, I only use conditioner from the healthfood store.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics