Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Games
Thinking puzzle

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 8:50 am
Just cleaning out my inbox, and I came across this.
It took me about 5 seconds - I THINK I I can honestly say "You will know instantly and with complete certainty that you have the solution when you find it. There is no question or debate."
Let me know what you think

Subject: puzzle

(from a chess website)

There are logical puzzles that are very difficult, and some that are trivially easy. But there is one that is both. At least in my experience. I have told the following to a substantial number of people. About half look at me in bafflement and do not know what the problem is. The solution is so obvious to them that they have to see someone ponder over it for an hour to believe that anyone could not see it instantaneously. Well, here's the problem, with apologies to those of you who have heard it before.

Recently a friend told me the following story about the death of his grandfather: "My grandparents used to go to church on Sundays. One day during the sermon, which was long and dry, my grandfather fell asleep. That week he had been reading a novel about the French Revolution and began to dream that he was a rich aristocrat living in a beautiful chateau in France. Suddenly there was a commotion outside. A mob of peasants appeared, stormed the house, grabbed him and tied him up, dragged him to the market square, where there was a platform with a guillotine set up. My grandfather was led up the stairs, a priest muttered a few words to him and then his head was placed in the cradle of the guillotine. A hooded executioner approached and reached up for the lever that releases the blade. At that moment my grandfather was snoring quite loudly, so my grandmother reached out and pinched him on the back of his neck to wake him up. This was such a shock to my grandfather that he suffered a heart attack and died on the spot."
My reaction to the story of my friend: "I don't believe a word of that. You made it up." Why did I react in this way, how did I know the story is not true.

If you belong to the 50% of the population who get it immediately, try it on other members of your family, on friends and acquaintances. You will be amazed how thoroughly stumped some of them can be. Like the world-class chess player, whom out of politeness we will not identify. We gave him this puzzle during a Japanese lunch, and he mulled over it all through the Miso and Sushi. We discussed the history of the French Revolution and the mechanics of the guillotine and in particular the height of the lever. At one stage he made us repeat the puzzle in order to cleverly identify minor deviations from the original version ("That way I know that those details are irrelevant!"). As the meal came to an end he was becoming unpleasant and rude, so we had to tell him the solution. The Elo of our Super-GM friend is well above 2700.

Incidentally we will not be publishing the solution to this problem. You will know instantly and with complete certainty that you have the solution when you find it. There is no question or debate.

brooklyn

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 9:25 am
How would we know what the man was dreaming?

shininglight

Post Mon, Nov 27 2006, 9:32 am
Wow, I'm embarrassed- I really didn't get it and had to read it a couple of times ... and still didn't get it until I saw the answer from Brooklyn!

shanie5

Post Sat, Dec 30 2006, 7:53 pm
me too, I didnt get it either-but will try it on others!!!!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics