Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Kew Garden Hills

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 9:09 pm
DH and I are from very OOT communities and currently living in an OOT community. He got a job offer (was too good to turn down and is starting soon) in KGH and accepted - the problem is that I have never been there, have no family anywhere near there and don't know ANYTHING about it!
We would be looking for a 3 BR apartment (to rent). How is the community? Are people warm like in OOT communities? New York scares me a little (the stereotype, anyways although there are always exceptions).
Anything you could tell me (schools, shuls, grocery shopping, babysitting) would be great, I'm very nervous about moving to a place I know nothing about!

be good

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 9:27 pm
Hug
dont worry! it will be familiar in no time! I have siblings and friends there, and even lived there myself for a bit, pm me if you'd like!

supermarkets:
Wasserman's- open till late, all night thurs night, not the cheapest. narrow isles. small supermarket.
Brach's: cheaper. also a small supermarket, but not such narrow.
Aron's Kissena farms: Used to be the big kosher supermarket till seasons came along. they have a deli counter, fish counter, bakery. good sales.
Seasons: fanciest. I dont know if its more expensive. amazing customer service, sometimes freebies for the kids (balloons, frizbees) they are very nice and helpful, and have free coffee.

I dont know much about 3br apts. I think after 2 br' most people rent houses. join the yahoo group called KGH Shuls, and post what you are looking for. I think thats your best bet.

in general, people arent as warm as OOT, but there are man native OOTers, so that helps. if you have kids it will be easier. people arent rude/mean, its just a busy/rushing mindset. and I think people think everyone has all of their friends already, and feels foolish making small talk...

in terms of shuls/schools- where would you slign yourself hashkafically? KGH has 31 shuls/yeshivas, acc. to minyanmaps.com, and I cant describe them all. what are you looking for in a shul/school? what ages are your kids? what are your babysitting questions?

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 9:27 pm
I have to say it's the best non-OOT community in the world (except for Eretz Yisroel, maybe). It's very heterogeneous; you have Ashkenaz and Sefard, kollel and working people, and people are not materialistic. Not much shtick, you can definitely wear denim and a snood/tichel if you want to. Houses are pretty small and go for between 450k and 600k for a house that is attached on at least one side. Property taxes are very low (around 5k a year). There are few three bedroom apartments and they basically go for around 1800 month without utilities included. You also might want to look into renting someone else's coop. There are many coops for sale and the coops aren't moving, so maybe someone would rent out theirs just to get an income in the meantime. Another thing is to rent a house for around 2100 (you might find one for this price without the basement) and you will feel more peace of mind. Many great schooling options although there seems to be a lack of local options for chareidi type boys with learning disabilities. Great delicious food all over the place, and lots of spirituality and shiurim if you have time to attend. Also a reasonable amount of exercise classes. The neighborhood is close to everything. There are many shuls for young families.

amother

Post Thu, Feb 16 2012, 10:02 pm
Thank you both for answering!
I guess I will join the yahoo group (how exactly do I do that?) and try to gather more information.
My kids are under 2 b"h so I guess I will need to find out about babysitters or playgroups.

It's so scary moving to an unknown place without family and friends!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating