Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Please share your favorite soup

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:15 am
I am going to be starting to make more soups for supper, to try to have lighter meals at the end of the day.
I am looking for any types of soup, but not chicken soups.
Dairy or pareve.

bamamama

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:38 am
Sweet Potato (Yam) soup with garam masala and coconut milk

1 tsp garam masala (you can find a recipe for this mix online) - heat in a hot pan - stirring until it changes colour
2ish onions chopped and sauteed in olive oil in same pan as garam masala
When onions are soft, add chunks of cubed sweet potato. Peeling the sweet potato makes a prettier soup but I often leave the peel on...Cover sweet potato chunks with water and bring to a boil cooking till chunks are soft. Puree using an immersion blender. Stir in one can (about 2 cups) coconut milk (you can make this yourself, too, from grated coconut...) add salt to taste. Add more water if soup is too thick. I give this to my kids in mugs at supper with almond meal biscuits and raw cut veggies.

lst

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:40 am
We have soup almost every night for dinner. We love it!
A favorite of mine (although a lot of people disagree with me) is tomato rice. I saute an onion in olive oil. Add a can of tomato paste, a tbsp of flour, water to the top of the pot (I use a nice sized pot, I can check the exact size if you want), some brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. After it comes to a boil, I add a generous half cup of rice, turn it down to a simmer and in about 20-25 minutes, its ready. (When the rice looks cooked).

I also make minestrone soup, vegetable soup, pureed veggie soup, zuchinni soup, orange soup, cabbage, mushroom barley, and a lentil soup.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:42 am
lst wrote:
A favorite of mine (although a lot of people disagree with me) is tomato rice. I saute an onion in olive oil. Add a can of tomato paste, a tbsp of flour, water to the top of the pot (I use a nice sized pot, I can check the exact size if you want), some brown sugar, and salt and pepper to taste. After it comes to a boil, I add a generous half cup of rice, turn it down to a simmer and in about 20-25 minutes, its ready. (When the rice looks cooked).

I also make minestrone soup, vegetable soup, pureed veggie soup, zuchinni soup, orange soup, cabbage, mushroom barley, and a lentil soup.
What is orange soup?

gomom!

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 1:11 am
I make the best onion and zucchini soup-really easy!

Onion soup:
3-4 onions sliced in rings
saute in oil or marg
add:
4 T flour
1 T sugar
1 tsp salt
2 T onion soup mix
6-7 cups of water
mix
boil for 1/2 hr

Zucchini soup:
1 large onion
1/4 C marg (I use oil)
Saute onion

Add:
2 carrots, sliced
6 zucchini, unpeeled and washed and sliced
salt and pepper to taste
3 T flour
6 C boiling water (I use reg)
2 T chicken soup mix

Cook for 45 min
Blend.
Enjoy!!

mizle10

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 1:14 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
lst wrote:

What is orange soup?

Pured soup made with carrots, butternut squash, sweet potatoes etc.

lst

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 1:17 am
orange soup is a pureed vegetable soup made with orange vegetables.
I usually saute onion in olive oil-I start a lot of soups that way, and I find that the olive oil makes a huge difference as opposed to canola oil.
Then I add cut up sweet potatoes, carrots, butternut squash, and pumpkin. Sometimes I'll throw in a potato or two. Fill up with water, cook till veggies are soft and then blend with an immersion blender. I usually put in a drop of garlic powder (or I'll saute a frozen garlic cube with the onion in the beginning) and then salt and pepper.
I know some people spice this soup a bit sweeter with ginger and cinnamon.

I also make potato leek soup-also one of my favorites. That one I'll sometimes make chalavi and saute the leeks in butter, instead of olive oil.

slushiemom

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 1:42 am
I often make the following out of my leftover chicken soup for shabbos- I made it last night it's SO good:

2tbsp soy sauce
2tbsp teriyaki
4 tbsp wine
10 cups consommee 10 tbsp 10 cups
16 oz mushrooms
1cup barley
One onion

Fry onion in marg

Add ingredients cook one hour

slushiemom

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 1:43 am
(instead of the 10 cups of consomme I use 10 cups of fresh chicken soup. If I'm short, I just add the amount of cups that I need from soup mix)

lech lecha08

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 7:30 am
tomato-lentil-chickpea soup

2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
1 onion , chopped
2 celery ribs , chopped
2 carrots , chopped
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup lentils
6 ½ cups water
1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes (diced or crushed)
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas , drained and rinsed
1⁄3; cup fresh cilantro , chopped

Directions:

In a large pot, melt butter over moderately low heat.
Add onion, celery and carrots. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften, about 10 minutes.
Stir in ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper and lentils. Add water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, 25-30 minutes.
Add chickpeas and simmer 5 minutes longer. Stir in cilantro and voila!

note: I left out the cilantro

AlwaysThinking

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 8:16 am
Vegetable Barley Soup:

2 Large Onions
Large Butternut Squash
2-3 Sweet Potatoes
2 Large Zucchini
5 Large Carrots
Few Stalks Celery
Handful Barley
1 Tbspn Tomato Paste
Salt, Pepper
Olive Oil to Fry

Chop and fry onions in olive oil in a large pot. Peel and chop all other vegetables into small cubes (may need to soften butternut first), add to onions. Cover with lid, let simmer in own juices for 20 mins. Then Add a handful of barley, and cover with boiling water. Bring to the boil, let simmer covered for 30 mins or until barley is soft and veg. cooked through. Stir in tomato puree, and add salt and pepper to taste.

Delicious, warm and easy!

Della

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 8:25 am
gomom! wrote:
I make the best onion and zucchini soup-really easy!

Zucchini soup:
1 large onion
1/4 C marg (I use oil)
Saute onion

Add:
2 carrots, sliced
6 zucchini, unpeeled and washed and sliced
salt and pepper to taste
3 T flour
6 C boiling water (I use reg)
2 T chicken soup mix

Cook for 45 min
Blend.
Enjoy!!

We use 4 T soup mix, plus tarragon and parsley. It really is the best soup!

Della

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 8:26 am
To make it parve, use parve chicken soup mix.

Squash Soup

1 T vegetable oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped
1 carrot, quartered
2 medium butternut squash
5 ½ c light chicken stock
¾ piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
¼ t cinnamon
Freshly gated nutmeg
Salt/pepper

In a large saucepan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic, and carrot and sauté over low flame for 2 minutes. Trim thin slices from each squash end. Peel the squash, seed it, and cut into large cubes. Add to saucepan with 5 c of the stock, the ginger, the cinnamon, and a few grindings of nutmeg. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and cook slowly until all the vegetables are tender, approximately 15 minutes. Cool slightly, then puree until smooth in batches, in a blender. Return the soup to the saucepan and heat it through. Thin the soup as desired with the additional remaining stock and season to taste with ginger, nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

Della

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 8:28 am
This soup is great on cold days:

Winter Vegetable Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Turkish or 1/2 California bay leaf
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large carrot, thinly sliced
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 pound sweet potato, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
1/2 pound Yukon Gold or boiling potatoes, peeled and cubed (1/2 inch)
2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

Cook onion with bay leaf and 1/2 teaspoon salt in oil in a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add carrot and celery and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes.
Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring, 1 minute, then add sweet potato, Yukon Golds, broth, water, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Purée 1 cup soup in a blender (use caution when blending hot liquids) and return to pot. Bring to a simmer, then stir in peas and dill and cook until peas are heated through, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

boysrus

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 11:23 am
nothing beats chicken soup! Wink

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 11:44 am
We are big on soups. I will often put up a soup at lunch time, so my kids have something ready when they walk thru the door. Then if the rest of supper isn't ready yet, they can have some satisfying soup to tide them over for a bit.

I can post some recipes but I'm not an exact person when it comes to soups....

Cream of celery soup - I make this in a 6 quart pot.

Saute:
Two large onions, diced
1 head of celery, diced
in some oil

Saute till onion and celery is soft.

Add:

2 large potatoes
1/2 cup wine (any wine. We tend to have red wines in the fridge so I use those)
Salt and pepper to taste (I like to actually taste the liquid to see if it's flavorful)
Water to fill pot about 2/3 of the way

Bring to a boil. Cook for about 1/2 hour. Puree in batches.

Variations: Substitute celery with a bag of frozen asparagus for Cream of Asparagus. Or with a bag of Spinache for Cream of Spinache.

I call these my Green Soups.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 11:49 am
lst wrote:

My kids love what we call Pizza soup. Similar to recipe above - I also put in a bit of sauteed onion and celery. We serve it with a dairy supper, and my kids add, to their own taste, oregano and garlic powder, and they drizzle some shredded cheese on top. It melts and is yum...

Chayalle

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 11:52 am
For split pea soup, I put about 1/2 cup each of green and yellow split peas into my crockpot. I add salt, garlic powder, and lots of water. Turn onto high. When it's boiling I do either one of the following:

For veggie split pea - I add some diced veggies, like potatoes, carrots, squash, and celery.

For knaidle split peas - I make a batch of knaidles (from a mix) and add them to the boiling soup.

shoeboxgirly

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:05 pm
Cream of Courgette soup

6 - 8 medium courgettes (zucchinis)
300ml cream
2 tbsp onion soup powder (or for a non msg alternative, quarter of an onion, fried and some garlic)
salt and pepper

serves 2-6 depending on if a starter or main course, and of course how hungry you are!

Slice the courgettes into <1cm slices, and half or quarter them depending on how impatient you are (smaller cooks quicker).
Boil the courgettes until soft but still with a bit of a bite, then drain almost all of the water (leave about half a cup or a bit less).
Bring down the heat to just above minimum and add the cream. (lowering the heat will prevent the cream splitting).
Add the onion powder, salt and pepper, and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Then just blend with a hand blender until you get the consistency you want (I like to leave it a bit chunky).

Serve with a handful of pasta shells.

And now I'm going to make it. yum.

Also, I make a butternut squash and sweet potato soup in exactly the same way just replacing the courgette...I'm a lazy cook.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 3:07 pm
Here are some great recipes
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....rt=20
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics