Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Finally figured out our theme-Scottish!
1  2  3  Next

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:40 pm
We are a very proud Purim Theme Family. One of my main criteria though, is it cannot be expensive. So, recently s/o gave me a bolt of plaid fabric. I will be making plaid pants for the boys (though one is willing to wear a kilt), and plaid skirts for the girls. If there is enough fabric, there will be a scarf/shawl and/or tam.

I found a recipe for "scotch cake" -no, there is no scotch in it, but thats the name.

So I am looking for other ideas for MM. No, I will not use little bottles of scotch as they are expensive and we give out A LOT of MM.

The MM go in paper lunch bags and I will be closing them with "scotch tape".

Now for the food-any ideas here?

Thanx

Barbara

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:46 pm
shanie5 wrote:
We are a very proud Purim Theme Family. One of my main criteria though, is it cannot be expensive. So, recently s/o gave me a bolt of plaid fabric. I will be making plaid pants for the boys (though one is willing to wear a kilt), and plaid skirts for the girls. If there is enough fabric, there will be a scarf/shawl and/or tam.

I found a recipe for "scotch cake" -no, there is no scotch in it, but thats the name.

So I am looking for other ideas for MM. No, I will not use little bottles of scotch as they are expensive and we give out A LOT of MM.

The MM go in paper lunch bags and I will be closing them with "scotch tape".

Now for the food-any ideas here?

Thanx

Haggis?

bigsis144

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:50 pm
Haggis!!! Very Happy (The Scottish version of kishke -- oatmeal-stuffed sheep intestines)
Deep-fried Twinkies, deep-fried Mars bars and deep-fried pizza are also popular, I hear.

A more realistic (but still authentic) idea would probably be shortbread cookies or scones.

Kind of related, but here's a few jokes about food from that corner of the globe:

What's a seven-course Irish meal?
Hidden: 

A six-pack of beer and a potato.

What's a recipe for Scottish stew?
Hidden: 

Mutton, potatoes and peas, cooked until they're all the same color.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 12:51 pm
"scotch" cake and some kind of "rock" candy- then you have scotch on the rocks

middy

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 1:24 pm
Bugles!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 2:05 pm
Oats (as in oatmeal)--darn chep!
Smoked salmon
Dundee cake is another one you can bake.
you can probably find Walker's shortcake, some comes in individual small packs.

Shame about whisky. Not sure how easy it is but maybe Irn Bru (local energy drink)

don't think anyone makes kosher haggis, mercifully

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 2:11 pm
Butterscotch candies?

I have a kilt pin from about 30 years ago when kilt skirts were in. Would you like it? Very Happy

sunny90

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 3:36 pm
My friend and I did this a few years ago. We found plaid napkins and I made scones. I used a picture I found online of a small Chivas Regal label and wrote happy purim from us etc., glued them onto small bottles and filled with white grape juice to look like whiskey.
That's all I remember although I'm sure we must have put more in...but everyone loved them!

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 4:54 pm
bigsis144 wrote:
Haggis!!! Very Happy (The Scottish version of kishke -- oatmeal-stuffed sheep intestines)
Deep-fried Twinkies, deep-fried Mars bars and deep-fried pizza are also popular, I hear.

A more realistic (but still authentic) idea would probably be shortbread cookies or scones.

Kind of related, but here's a few jokes about food from that corner of the globe:

What's a seven-course Irish meal?
Hidden: 

A six-pack of beer and a potato.

What's a recipe for Scottish stew?
Hidden: 

Mutton, potatoes and peas, cooked until they're all the same color.

Better than Irish stew.
And a paper bag...hm, not PC as the Scottish have this rep for being able to pinch a penny till it screams ;-)

Pandabeer

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 5:04 pm
I made this last and 3 years ago although I didn't really match the MM
One year I found a checked gift bag and made stickers with happy written in Gaelish (scottish) Purim and their flag
My boys were all willing to go with kilts - I just loved the checked look!! (maybe I'll do it again this year, I only go to teachers basicly)

londoner

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 5:05 pm
Shortbread for mishloach manot and sachets of porridge.

Desert of deep fried mars bars? A glaswegian delicacy LOL

Scotch broth - meaty stew like soup

sequoia

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 5:06 pm
londoner wrote:

That's funny. I heard Craig Ferguson talking about it on his show but I always assumed he was joking.

abmom

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 5:16 pm
How about print a scotch label and stick it onto any kind of a drink bottle?

chocolate chips

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 6:23 pm
Walkers Shortbread.
Haggis
Whisky
IRN BRU (national scottish drink) - a disgusting orange colored drink...not readily available outside uk though. (search online for a picture and pour orange juice into bottles and make the label?)

and of course the scottish flag of blue background with large white x on top.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 7:36 pm
sequoia wrote:
londoner wrote:

That's funny. I heard Craig Ferguson talking about it on his show but I always assumed he was joking.

Ah yes, the old Scotland - state fair nexus. You mean you haven't learned about it in poli sci?

CK2

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 7:50 pm
There is actually a Scottish theme misloach manos posted here: http://www.cookkosher.com/inde.....mid=8

shanie5

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 10:04 pm
I googled recipes for haggis-I dont think sheep hearts are kosher-or are they? Anyway they wold be too expensive. Deep fried anything gives me the shudders. I know some people will throw out home baked goods, but I am not sending s/t that just about everybody would toss! LOL

Oats is good and cheap-but unless I deliver for breakfast.......

Sarahd-yeah, I'll take the pin. I can't believe we were teenagers 30 years ago! And butterscotch candies is a great idea!

Pinkfridge-thanx for the penny-pinching idea-I think I'll incorporate that in my poem.

If I get ambitious I'll make whiskey labels and put them on water bottles.

I had no idea that scones and shortbread are scottish.

So I think I will go for butterscotch candies and scones. And maybe the water bottle.

I am still open to more ideas though.

And a recipe for scones. I made them once years ago, but have no idea where I put the recipe.

boysrus

Post Tue, Feb 21 2012, 11:52 pm
AFAIK scones are not specifically scottish, I am english and was always told that they were an old fashioned english delicacy. I can try to searchout an old recipe for you, if I find it I;ll be back!

sunny90

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 1:09 am
Scones (scottish)

londoner

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 2:41 am
Drop scones are Scottish. They're little pancakes. Not ideal for mm
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics