Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Finally figured out our theme-Scottish!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

smilethere

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 5:37 am
Shortbread biscuits.
You can bake these or buy them individually wrapped.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 7:43 am
shanie5 wrote:
I googled recipes for haggis-I dont think sheep hearts are kosher-or are they? Anyway they wold be too expensive. Deep fried anything gives me the shudders. I know some people will throw out home baked goods, but I am not sending s/t that just about everybody would toss! LOL

Oats is good and cheap-but unless I deliver for breakfast.......

Sarahd-yeah, I'll take the pin. I can't believe we were teenagers 30 years ago! And butterscotch candies is a great idea!

Pinkfridge-thanx for the penny-pinching idea-I think I'll incorporate that in my poem.

Oooh, I don't know if I want credit for propagating stereotypes...
And I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a recipe for veggie haggis, or kosher haggis.

hot mom

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 10:17 am
how about Biscotties! You can buy small packages of them I don't know prices but there was a thread on here about where to get them for mm.

Raisin

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 11:24 am
you could make scotch flavoured cupcakes. (called fairy cakes in the uk...though not so much anymore, obvously)

google, loads of cake recipes made with scotch.

maapse

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 2:10 pm
I don't know about other people, but a lot of this stuff is not majorly scottish so if I was receiving shlach monos with some of the things mentioned here, I would never ever put 2 and 2 together and connect it to the scottish theme.
Even if it was obviously scottish, not everyone else knows that.
Also, I often get shlach monos when I am out or busy so I only look at it properly that night, and not in a million years would I remember - oh the people who sent me this were dressed up scottish and the food here is related to scotland....
is it just me who is a bit slow!?!?

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 4:12 pm
It's going to come with an explanatory poem, I believe.

sarahd

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 4:14 pm
shanie5 wrote:
I googled recipes for haggis-I dont think sheep hearts are kosher-or are they? Anyway they wold be too expensive. Deep fried anything gives me the shudders. I know some people will throw out home baked goods, but I am not sending s/t that just about everybody would toss! LOL

Sarahd-yeah, I'll take the pin. I can't believe we were teenagers 30 years ago!

Blows my mind every time I realize it.

Give me your address; I'd be happy to send the pin. Wink

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 11:09 pm
maapse wrote:
I don't know about other people, but a lot of this stuff is not majorly scottish so if I was receiving shlach monos with some of the things mentioned here, I would never ever put 2 and 2 together and connect it to the scottish theme.
Even if it was obviously scottish, not everyone else knows that.
Also, I often get shlach monos when I am out or busy so I only look at it properly that night, and not in a million years would I remember - oh the people who sent me this were dressed up scottish and the food here is related to scotland....
is it just me who is a bit slow!?!?

As Sarahd said, it comes with a complete explanatory poem. And as we are well known for our purim shtick, we are usually remembered-and looked forward to by many people. And anyway, I'm sure there are always people who don't get it, but many more will, so its fine by me.

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 11:10 pm
mommy of a.s. wrote:
how about Biscotties! You can buy small packages of them I don't know prices but there was a thread on here about where to get them for mm.

Love it!!

shanie5

Post Wed, Feb 22 2012, 11:14 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
shanie5 wrote:

Sarahd-yeah, I'll take the pin. I can't believe we were teenagers 30 years ago! And butterscotch candies is a great idea!

Pinkfridge-thanx for the penny-pinching idea-I think I'll incorporate that in my poem.

Oooh, I don't know if I want credit for propagating stereotypes...

Okay, I will leave your name out of the poem-I was wondering how to fit 'pinkfridge' in there anyway.

And I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find a recipe for veggie haggis, or kosher haggis.

No offense, but I think I'm gonna pass on that one.

Fontancar

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 9:55 pm
I need a MM idea to match the theme anything to do with MAILING LABELS or either one Mailing or Labels. I know in Mailing I could use fed ex boxes or something similar. Need an answer fast bec. don't have to much time to play around need my MM done by Sunday. Only bought food ill be able to put in. any ideas appreciated.

chocolate chips

Post Sun, Feb 26 2012, 11:13 pm
Fontancar wrote:
I need a MM idea to match the theme anything to do with MAILING LABELS or either one Mailing or Labels. I know in Mailing I could use fed ex boxes or something similar. Need an answer fast bec. don't have to much time to play around need my MM done by Sunday. Only bought food ill be able to put in. any ideas appreciated.
Why don't you start your own thread instead of posting in one which has nothing to do with your MM idea?

You can try go to the post office and get a bunch of priority envelopes from them to use??

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 12:05 am
Update: I made 3 kilts for my girls today. I remembered that one of my neighbors was raised in scotland and asked her for advice. She gave me a kilt which I studied and copied.

Too bad she doesnt have bagpipes too.

8mom

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 3:10 am
Why don't you go all out and join us in Scotland for your Purim Seuda? LOL

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 3:11 am
UKmum wrote:

Where do you live? Glasgow? Edinburgh?

ally

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 3:17 am
sequoia wrote:
londoner wrote:

Desert of deep fried mars bars? A glaswegian delicacy LOL

That's funny. I heard Craig Ferguson talking about it on his show but I always assumed he was joking.

They actually taste really good - Its a perfect mix of salty/sweet and the mars bar gets all melted while the outside is crispy.

Frenchfry

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 9:03 am
If you put a straw sticking out of your bag it can be a "bag pipe"

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 5:56 pm
UKmum wrote:

Would love to. But I would never try to dress as a scotsman there. Guess when we come we will have to do "american tourists" costumes.

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 27 2012, 5:57 pm
Frenchfry wrote:
If you put a straw sticking out of your bag it can be a "bag pipe"

Great idea!

shanie5

Post Thu, Mar 08 2012, 10:24 am
And here is our poem:

Great SCOTT! It’s that time of year,
Its Purim again there’s fun in the air!
So grab up your BAGBIPES and give them a toot,
The Shanie5’s are here and they are a hoot!
Wrapped up in KILTS and covered in PLAID,
The sight of them sure makes you glad!
In their SPORRANS they carry Mishloach Manos for you,
There’s butterSCOTCH candy and biSCOTTi too!
A roll up to wrap up just like a KILT,
And a chocolate LASSIE for your calorie guilt!
All in a BAGPIPE is our Purim plan,
Sealed with SCOTCH tape by the Shanie5 CLAN!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics