Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Sewing with velvet

Chanie

Post Wed, Nov 29 2006, 11:05 am
I'm thinking of sewing a vest for my boys in velvet.
I've never sewen with this fabric and know there is a problem with ironing it. How do you make the seems flat?
I dont want to buy a pin board for one time.
Or perhaps there is a sewer here who would like to sew me a couple of vests at a really really good price.

chen

Post Thu, Nov 30 2006, 1:46 pm
1. after sewing, have it professionally dry cleaned before the first wearing--even if the fabric is washable. They have the right equipment, and the seams will be much flatter than you could ever press them, even with a needle board.

2. In a pinch, press on the wrong side over a piece of self fabric, so the nap of the garment sinks into the nap of the remnant. Put strips of paper between the seam allowance and the garment to prevent the seam allowance from marking the other side. If no self fabric, use a terrycloth towel, but self fabric is better.

3. use velveteen rather than velvet. it still looks luxurious but is much less persnickety than velvet, less slippery, and way easier to work with.

oh--and you never iron it--you press it on the wrong side using a pressing cloth.

shanie5

Post Fri, Dec 01 2006, 12:35 am
dont dry clean it unless its dirty,but definitely send it in for a proffessional pressing. I just iron on the wrong side-carefully- while sewing. and final pressing is usually a proffessional one.

greenfire

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 1:41 pm
iron from the inside with a damp cotton cloth

Mommy3.5

Post Mon, Dec 04 2006, 9:28 pm
you need a speacial sewing foot to do it right!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics