Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Riva Pomerantz - Diamond Dust
  Previous  1  2  3  4 19  20  21  Next

Mama Bear

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 4:12 pm
Just the opposite, these parents get kudos for letting Yalli go out with Tzvi in the first place, most parents would stubbornly make their kid marry someone unsuitable as long as they come from a 'suitable' family.

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 4:50 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Just the opposite, these parents get kudos for letting Yalli go out with Tzvi in the first place, most parents would stubbornly make their kid marry someone unsuitable as long as they come from a 'suitable' family.

For sure, I agree with you; I just worded it somewhat backwards!

Sarahd, I don't know - it is a real issue, that parents want their kids to marry the parents' dream chasson or kallah, without truly getting to know their child and figure out what kind of person the child is seeking to marry.

That being said, I don't think this is the main point of the story because Yalli's desire to marry money have been portrayed as less than noble. If a magazine would want to make this point, they'd have the child want to marry someone who is 'more frum' than the parents.

I think the moral will be the standard "money can't buy happiness" somehow or other...

seeker

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 4:49 pm
I don't think the parents get any points for letting them go out if they're not coming to terms with the shidduch itself. Going out is a step towards marriage, generally; if they won't accept a marriage then it's not fair for them to allow the kids to develop a relationship and then back out. Either maintain the opposition from the beginning or accept it fully.

I appreciate the irony that they who claim to be not into money are being so judgmental against the people who have it. It's an interesting twist. Here Yalli seems to have actually found a boy who is both rich AND a mentch, and now they can't see past their stereotypes.

I definitely think parents tuning into their kids' shidduch needs/wants is a big, realistic issue that deserves this attention. I went through it a little and I'm watching some of my friends go through it massively, it's really crazy sometimes how parents won't see past their shticks.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 8:35 am
seeker wrote:
I don't think the parents get any points for letting them go out if they're not coming to terms with the shidduch itself. Going out is a step towards marriage, generally; if they won't accept a marriage then it's not fair for them to allow the kids to develop a relationship and then back out. Either maintain the opposition from the beginning or accept it fully.

I appreciate the irony that they who claim to be not into money are being so judgmental against the people who have it. It's an interesting twist. Here Yalli seems to have actually found a boy who is both rich AND a mentch, and now they can't see past their stereotypes..

There's also the father's need to have a masmid, talmid chochom son-in-law. There's something to do this, there are chazal about not marrying one's daughter to an am ha'aretz. This is something not easy for the father to deal with, OTOH he should have known his daughter better and been grateful that she values important things too. (Remember the brilliant Purim spoof?)

MaBelleVie

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 9:02 am
There's a vast world between am haaretz and talmid chacham. I hate that a supposed talmid chacham himself is pprtrayed as not very bright.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 9:46 am
MaBelleVie wrote:
There's a vast world between am haaretz and talmid chacham. I hate that a supposed talmid chacham himself is pprtrayed as not very bright.

It was a bit of a caricature. But there's a certain image one has. (Look, maybe it's not fair game here to reference another thread with an imamother who likely won't open this thread, but there's someone who very bluntly described the type of person who would fit into her family and lucky for her, it seems her kids woudn't want otherwise. I think, this father just imagined he would have a son in law in the same mold as everyone else, he never figured it could be otherwise, and there's a lot to come to terms wth.)

cbt

Post Sun, May 13 2012, 10:20 am
Has anyone read this past week's issue? At first it seemed like the end game was going to be Yally with Tzvi but now Yalli is skipping school and Tzvi is skipping out on his learning, like they're a bad influence on each other. I wonder if there isn't meant to be a shidduch between them or if they are meant to grow together...
It was definitely not what I was expecting!

Dev80

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 10:47 am
I think it's kind of normal while dating to fall off your regular schedule if your schedule allows it. I definitely skipped classes (not college) b/c my schedule allowed it. And, if Yalli doesn't think she really needs the degree, to her it's not such a big deal. And we see that Tzvi wasn't the biggest masmid in the beis medrash, so for him it's not so crazy to make a call then probably. I don't think it means they're a bad influence on each other, their heads are just in the clouds at this point (I certainly remember that feeling!)

married21

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 11:13 am
I would love to get a sneak preview and see how to the last chapter pans out.

I really enjoy following serials, but the suspense can get unbearable at times…!

The impression I get is that Yalli’s personality comes across as very shallow. It she looking for some compatibility with Tzvi or is the money factor totally blinding her to the real him…?

I feel for the father, even though he should consider what his daughter wants and not necessarily what he wants, he build his whole life (and family’s life) around Torah learning and rejection of extra gashmiyus. To get a son-in-law who doesn’t fit that mold is hurtful nonetheless.

ynmets

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 9:07 pm
I find myself being "too much" into this story. Riva is so good.

This week it seems like Yalli has some real issues, due to her miserable school years.It looks like
she needs therapy way before getting married.
I wonder if this will be a hindrance to her Shidduch and marriage? Time will tell, I guess..

ceo

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:17 am
Ummm, what was this week's episode? Huh? LAME.

Riva, I'm surprised at you.....you couldn't think of anything better than that??

happybeingamom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:32 am
ceo wrote:
Ummm, what was this week's episode? Huh? LAME.

Riva, I'm surprised at you.....you couldn't think of anything better than that??

I know, I was so disappointed and me and my daughters were enjoying this so much.

sarahd

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:43 pm
This week's Mishpacha already came out? Or were you referring to last week's episode?

ceo

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:05 pm
last week's.

disappointing!!!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 8:21 pm
I'm liking Yalli less and less. At the beginning of the story, I thought that she was an independent-minded soul, not a carbon copy of her family, and that was interesting.

At this point I see nothing left to like about her. She's a pretty gold digger, insecure in her own choices.

seeker

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:24 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
I'm liking Yalli less and less. At the beginning of the story, I thought that she was an independent-minded soul, not a carbon copy of her family, and that was interesting.

At this point I see nothing left to like about her. She's a pretty gold digger, insecure in her own choices.

But you seem to be forgetting the (implied) trauma that is probably behind her insecurity et al.

I hope for Tzvi's sake that she gets better! He seems pretty sweet, and whatever his faults are he certainly doesn't deserve to be burned twice with messed-up girls.

MaBelleVie

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:26 pm
I think the last episode was completely unrealistic and out of left field. Not every serial requires this kind of drama.

seeker

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:31 pm
Yknow, I've only once in my life seen anyone faint. Serial characters seem rather fragile in proportion to the rest of the population.

Sherri

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:40 pm
seeker wrote:
Yknow, I've only once in my life seen anyone faint. Serial characters seem rather fragile in proportion to the rest of the population.
LOL

joy613

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 9:41 pm
Yeah, I agree with that. It was quite overdramatized. But I got used to these serial story cliff hangers that fizzle out by the next week. I wouldn't be surprised if next week starts off " 'And make sure to keep taking tylenol for that migraine of yours' said the Hatzalah member to a resting Yalli as he left the Shapiro home."

But I am enjoying the story in any case. First thing I open up to.
Page 3 of 21   Previous  1  2  3  4 19  20  21  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room