Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How do you dress you kids????
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

DrMom

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 12:59 pm
I have relatives bring Carter's, Children's Place, Gap, or Okie-Dokie (JCPenny store brand) clothing from the US.

For wearing to gan, I buy some cheap Israeli stuff. Usually plain tee-shirts in a variety of colors and plain tricot pants frm a super-cheap store.

hw

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 2:02 pm
Frenchfry wrote:
I'd love to shpo online, but shipping to canada is so expensive!

Anyone know of canadian sites with free shipping?

dont know about online- but I love Mexx.ca they dont sell online but have a online site. and only have stores in canada.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:08 pm
amother wrote:
Im wondering how most people out there dress their kids?? For everything, every day, shabbos, etc. I work hard for my money, and b"h we do not struggle, and I enjoy buying my baby nice, expensive clothes. Obviously I know if money is a struggle, this would not be an option, and I would gladly shop in target:) But im just wondering if there are mothers out there who also enjoy buying the good quality, nice stuff. (this is not AT ALL meant to look down on people who buy cheap clothes, kol hakovod to you, and I know that there is absolutely nothing wrong with it).

BTW I have some really wealthy friends, who love Target. They may buy expensive designer clothes, but for lounging around and playwear, they like to go comfy.

I work hard and struggle too, but it's important to me that my kids look put together. It doesn't have to be expensive but I appreciate good quality.

My older girls tend to do best in the frum stores for Shabbos clothes and weekday skirts. They get basics like Junee or babyo, etc...Then they get sweaters in the mall, from GAP, Old Navy, J Crew, The Limited, and elsewhere.

For my little DD, I used to shop at gymboree alot, especially for weekday clothes. Their quality was comparable to more expensive brands....but lately I don't like their designs very much, maybe I'm outgrowing all those cutesy flamingos and penguins. For this summer I got her some cute stuff at Bennetton at their 70% off sale, that is more basic and practical. Gap is another go-to.

Barbara

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:28 pm
For daily wear, I like kids to be in comfortable, washable clothing that I don't care if they stain or tear. Kids are designed to get dirty. Our go-to store was always Old Navy, which for whatever unknown reason had pants that were more durable than Gap, Children's Place, Lands End or most other brands. Target is great for tee shirts, but their dressier kids' clothing is often stiff and unappealing.

I also love discounters. As I've mentioned, I'm still in mourning over Syms, where I could pick up Ralph Lauren, Calvin Klein, Izod and other high end shirts for a song. But now that DS is older, its mostly American Eagle and H&M.

amother

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 3:30 pm
OP here...I happen to like the GAP style also- my baby is a 11 month old girl, and this season they had adorable stuff for her for every day...I dont mind shopping in stores like these, I just really enjoy when shes wearing a stunning outfit from jacadi...I love clothes!

amother

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:08 pm
If you live in Lakewood, there is a Gemach on Birch st. They have the highest quality top-name stuff. If you are very rich, B"H for you. For the rest of us, you might find something there thats will last a lot longer then what you will buy in Walmart..

Barbara

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:15 pm
amother wrote:
OP here...I happen to like the GAP style also- my baby is a 11 month old girl, and this season they had adorable stuff for her for every day...I dont mind shopping in stores like these, I just really enjoy when shes wearing a stunning outfit from jacadi...I love clothes!

Don't you worry about her destroying expensive clothes? At 11 months, I assume that she enjoys feeding herself messy things, playing with goopy things, and running around and making a mess.

Or maybe that's just me.

Raisin

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:19 pm
For my kids, only clothes handmade to order by one of the finest french fashion houses is good enough. I usually get several of each outfit made in case it gets ruined while playing. My laundry maid is fantastic at getting stains off, anyway.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:23 pm
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

Don't you worry about her destroying expensive clothes? At 11 months, I assume that she enjoys feeding herself messy things, playing with goopy things, and running around and making a mess.

Or maybe that's just me.

Personally, I find that you get what you pay for. If you pay for cheap clothes, and it gets dirty, chances are it will get ruined. If you pay a bit more, the clothes tend to wash better. I never buy childrens place because it washed so terribly…

The better quality clothes hold up better the children playing. It's worth it in the long run.

shnitzel

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 4:58 pm
I find the children's place clothing incredibly durable. It almost never stains or gets worn out. Even with gymboree stuff I need to pre-treat every spot. A lot of the higher end stuff is made from nicer fabrics that seems to get ruined more easily. I want clothing that I will not freak out about if it gets splattered with nail polish or my kid decides to climb a mountain or eat a pomegranate.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 6:16 pm
I have bought things in children's place that held up beautifully but not everything. I bought DD the cutest denim skirt last year, and it's held up wash after wash (and goes well with 3 shirts from crazy 8). OTOH I've had tee shirts that wore out really quickly. For the price I've paid there, though, I've generally gotten my money's worth.

sky

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:14 pm
emesornt wrote:
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

Or maybe that's just me.

Personally, I find that you get what you pay for. If you pay for cheap clothes, and it gets dirty, chances are it will get ruined. If you pay a bit more, the clothes tend to wash better. I never buy childrens place because it washed so terribly…

The better quality clothes hold up better the children playing. It's worth it in the long run.

I buy a lot of Children's place stuff and they hold up beautiful. I find the boys vest wash better then the more expensive boys vests from frum stores (which I've stopped buying because they've either pilled or shrunk in the wash).

Last year I got a ton of Gymboree stuff for very cheap and I was so disappointed with it. Most went in the garbage at the end of the season. They had holes and got stained easily. Most of my childrens place clothes I pass down and if isn't worth saving I toss at the end of the season and don't feel bad.

I also love carter's and osh kosh clothing. They are cute and also hold up very nicely and are dirt cheap during sales.

I like buying cheap clothing. This way my kids can be kids and I don't have to worry about them ruining it or being upset if something gets stained or torn.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:22 pm
Strange. I have never had problems with gymboree. In fact, my baby is wearing things his older brother wore 6 years ago. I've lent it to a friend in the interim and besides my two boys, her two boys used it. So it's been used 4 times before getting to my baby! Maybe it has to do with how you wash it? I don't know.

EmesOrNT

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:24 pm
Oh, and I like buying cheap too. I don't pay more than &15 a shirt from gymboree. It's usually about $12 after discounts. I think that's pretty cheap.

PZA

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:25 pm
Well I don't believe in spending money for young children!
Quality is important yet for kid to feel comfortable and play peacefully it has to know that not ruining expensive cloth! I've seen parents making their kids crazy not to move just because wearing exensice and doesn't wants it to ruin!
Let them enjoy life as long as they still can enjoy it worryfree!

sky

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:25 pm
emesornt wrote:
Strange. I have never had problems with gymboree. In fact, my baby is wearing things his older brother wore 6 years ago. I've lent it to a friend in the interim and besides my two boys, her two boys used it. So it's been used 4 times before getting to my baby! Maybe it has to do with how you wash it? I don't know.

My boys are rough on their clothes. The spend a ton of time outside and must think they are in the construction business, even on shabbos. so I can't really complain. Problem is my daughter is following in their footsteps...

sky

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:27 pm
emesornt wrote:
Oh, and I like buying cheap too. I don't pay more than &15 a shirt from gymboree. It's usually about $12 after discounts. I think that's pretty cheap.

It is cheap for Gymboree. I'm watching them for their summer sales.

I've already bought my boys polos from Childrens place for the summer for $5.10 each. At that rate I let them do what they want (within reason). Now I just need to find shorts.

PZA

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 7:31 pm
Cookie's kids online has greet stuff for extremely cheap!

cbsmommy

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 9:21 pm
emesornt wrote:
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

Or maybe that's just me.

And I find that the Children's place washes incredibly well. Many of the Carter's stuff became full of pills after the first wash, but DD's stuff from the children's place looks stunning. Maybe it's HOW you are washing it? Soap brand? Water temp? Amount of metals in the water?

That being said, I gotta agree with the Ebay posters. ALL of DD's ridiculously fancy shabbos dresses are bought on Ebay. I get the new with tags stuff when I want something fancier. I get sweet heart rose, rare editions, and bonnie jean dresses that are brand new for between 10-20 bucks each. The trick is to buy 'out-of-season'. For example, right after xmas, there are a TON of winter dresses that go online. I guesstimate DD's size for the following Rosh Hashana and buy the dress in that size. I then put it away for 10 months. In september, there tends to be a ton of cute sundresses on sale. I buy for Pesach in a bigger size and put away. There have been a couple of times that I've been 'off' size-wise, but most of the time this method works.

For DD's regular play things, I bargain shop. DD is super skinny, she has a long torso, and shorter legs. I mostly buy her dresses because they are guaranteed not to fall down while she is playing at the park (as opposed to skirts). I find that the kohl's and jcp clearance racks are wonderful. I also LOVE the old navy leggings. She typically wears a dress with a pair of leggings or jeggings underneath. I tried buying her jeans a couple of times, and her skinny little tu$hie managed to lose her pants while going up the stairs.

bigprincess

Post Tue, Mar 13 2012, 9:54 pm
cbsmommy wrote:
emesornt wrote:
Barbara wrote:
amother wrote:

Or maybe that's just me.

And I find that the Children's place washes incredibly well. Many of the Carter's stuff became full of pills after the first wash, but DD's stuff from the children's place looks stunning. Maybe it's HOW you are washing it? Soap brand? Water temp? Amount of metals in the water?

That being said, I gotta agree with the Ebay posters. ALL of DD's ridiculously fancy shabbos dresses are bought on Ebay. I get the new with tags stuff when I want something fancier. I get sweet heart rose, rare editions, and bonnie jean dresses that are brand new for between 10-20 bucks each. The trick is to buy 'out-of-season'. For example, right after xmas, there are a TON of winter dresses that go online. I guesstimate DD's size for the following Rosh Hashana and buy the dress in that size. I then put it away for 10 months. In september, there tends to be a ton of cute sundresses on sale. I buy for Pesach in a bigger size and put away. There have been a couple of times that I've been 'off' size-wise, but most of the time this method works.

For DD's regular play things, I bargain shop. DD is super skinny, she has a long torso, and shorter legs. I mostly buy her dresses because they are guaranteed not to fall down while she is playing at the park (as opposed to skirts). I find that the kohl's and jcp clearance racks are wonderful. I also LOVE the old navy leggings. She typically wears a dress with a pair of leggings or jeggings underneath. I tried buying her jeans a couple of times, and her skinny little tu$hie managed to lose her pants while going up the stairs.

I have to disagree. When making pesachdig my baby stuff I noticed some items were stained the expensive stuff washed beautifully, no rubbing or chemicals used. The cheap ones didn't come out completely.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics