Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Computer Course for NY’ers

amother

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:00 pm
I have a dream about teaching women and girls the tools that they need to get better paying jobs, in record time. I want to teach on evenings and Sundays so that they can come back to their boss after 10 learning hours and say, I would like a raise of an additional $5 per hour!

I have been doing this privately for many years (one on one) and I want to move my experience into a classroom environment in the NY area.

The course would teach the students Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office & Excel, Internet browsing and Email understanding and Google searching. Understandably, the software will be explored rather than taught in depth and many students will enjoy this knowledge and sign up for in depth courses for individual programs in the future.

QUESTION FOR YOU:

Would you be interested in a course like this?

Would you consider paying a significant amount of money for 10 lessons during convenient after-office hours? This investment would be close to $1,000.

Do you feel that you can attend 2 classes per week, 2 hours each (I.e. 8-10 PM, Monday and Thursday). Two weeks in a row.

What do you think of this course description and its potential?

I’m looking forward to your responses eagerly, thank you for your time.

faigie

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:13 pm
100 per two hour class? too pricey

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:14 pm
These courses are often offered free from the library or community council, but perhaps those instructors are paid to do that...

amother

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:17 pm
Clarifying: This course does not work if you take only one hour. You need to take the whole (10 hours) course and it’s very private and it’s going to teach you to arrive to our goal, unlike the library or some free course that will teach you these things and most of the time, only during library hours.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 05 2006, 1:27 pm
It sounds very nice. I just don't think it would go.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, Dec 24 2006, 5:59 am
I'd be interested if it were cheaper

IBR

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 7:57 pm
OP you should speak to Touro College and by the way the price is very reasonable. Accredited teachers and people with experience can charge $50/hour or more.
But yes make sure that what you are offering is not being offered through community council or something like that for free or very cheap for woman.

amother

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 11:16 pm
Touro only takes State Certified teachers.

I know all these programs, and I agree with you that there is a need. I have conducted alot of interviews, wehre the candidate does not know the basics of Microsoft Office.

To make it cheaper, you can skip Photoshop. That is graphics, not administrative work. Just do Microsoft Excel, Word, Document merging, Frontpage, Access. - the basics.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Jan 17 2007, 11:38 pm
amother wrote:
I have a dream about teaching women and girls the tools that they need to get better paying jobs, in record time. I want to teach on evenings and Sundays so that they can come back to their boss after 10 learning hours and say, I would like a raise of an additional $5 per hour!

I have been doing this privately for many years (one on one) and I want to move my experience into a classroom environment in the NY area.

The course would teach the students Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Office & Excel, Internet browsing and Email understanding and Google searching. Understandably, the software will be explored rather than taught in depth and many students will enjoy this knowledge and sign up for in depth courses for individual programs in the future.

QUESTION FOR YOU:

Would you be interested in a course like this?

Would you consider paying a significant amount of money for 10 lessons during convenient after-office hours? This investment would be close to $1,000.

Do you feel that you can attend 2 classes per week, 2 hours each (I.e. 8-10 PM, Monday and Thursday). Two weeks in a row.

What do you think of this course description and its potential?

I’m looking forward to your responses eagerly, thank you for your time.
I paid $200 for perhaps six classes of one and a half hours, I learned Microsoft Word, it was my introduction to computers. I took a similar course for free from Yeled V'yaldah, when my son was in headstart, that included Word and Excel. And a repeat course from Yeled V'Yaldah when my next son was in headstart. And another free course from a program for moms from community council.

I couldn't afford the kind of class you describe, and I'd want more knowledge than exploration, something I could put to work. In a classroom setup, when it's not one on one, the price should go down, not up. $15 a lesson. or $30 for 2 hours. You'll have enough students to come out with a decent profit. More students because reasonable price = bigger profit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics