Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Computers, Phones and Devices
Anyone can have an internet filter?

wereafamily

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 6:31 pm
I was told on shabbos "anyone can have an internet filter"

As a graphic designer, always searching for images (not always the nicest...) how can I have a internet filter, don't all filters remove bad images?

be good

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 6:54 pm
ditto!!

looking forward to the responses.
google images is a main research resource over here!

TranquilityAndPeace

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:00 pm
What about a filter that you override every time you need to search for images? And nobody else knows that password?

wereafamily

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:05 pm
TranquilityAndPeace wrote:
What about a filter that you override every time you need to search for images? And nobody else knows that password?

Well if I get filter, I am only getting it because all the Rabbonim are saying that we need to have a filter if we have internet in the house. Now its just DH and me, whats the point in having a filter if I can just punch in a password whenever I work (which is most of the day), and it's not like I am going to hide the password from DH - I trust him!

Last edited by wereafamily on Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

GetReal

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:05 pm
I use k9 bluecoat. It's free and you can change the setting to accommodate you or else override it with a password when you need to do a search.

gp2.0

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:12 pm
IMO filters are only necessary once you have kids using the internet.

wereafamily

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:49 pm
GetReal wrote:
I use k9 bluecoat. It's free and you can change the setting to accommodate you or else override it with a password when you need to do a search.

How does the setting work?

wereafamily

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:51 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

I also think so! But that's not what the Rabbonim are saying...or is it?

GetReal

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 7:56 pm
wereafamily wrote:
GetReal wrote:

How does the setting work?

Once you download it there are categories. You choose which ones to block.

Also each time it blocks something there is the option to type in a password and override it, either permanently or just for a few minutes.

bamamama

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 10:47 pm
wereafamily wrote:
gp2.0 wrote:

I also think so! But that's not what the Rabbonim are saying...or is it?

Well, it doesn't really make sense to have a filter for only you and DH. You are consenting adults and if you honor your own belief system, you won't be viewing images that violate your beliefs...so I would imagine you wouldn't need a filter...ITA with have a filter for kids using the internet, though.

sequoia

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 10:53 pm
The whole point of a filter is that someone else installs it. If you can override it, there's no reason to have it.

imamiri

Post Sun, Apr 01 2012, 10:55 pm
I do not have one and never will.

ETA: When DD gets older, we'll get one for whatever computer she uses, but our laptops, no.

However, I'm not going to be like the mother who recently asked how to install one remotely on her DD's computer so she can monitor her from a distance at COLLEGE.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 6:32 am
A filter is VERY useful even if you'll override it often. There are many things that pop up that you don't necessarily need to be exposed to, and there would be no reason to override that.

I've also had sites blocked that I didn't realize could be a problem (even linked from imamother!) so I'm glad something else was looking out for me.

Also, bad images being filtered out is no where near the same as ALL images being filtered out. Do you seriously need bad images for your graphic design work? You're putting in pictures of bathing suit models or whatever?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 6:54 am
I am also in the graphics business (page layout) and cannot use a standard filter for the same reason.

Instead I use WebChaver (Covenant Eyes) which is an accountability program highly recommended by Rabbonim. I have a "Chaver" who receives a weekly email detailing any "problematic" sites I've been to. My chaver is someone who understands the different websites and can easily see if I've been someplace I shouldn't have.

bnm

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 7:09 am
When I worked in a graphic design office we had to get Koshernet to unblock a french baby furniture web site since our client asked us to get the pictures from there. I guess there was something in the metadata in french that Koshernet considered highly offensive....

gp2.0

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 7:19 am
At work a few years ago there was a very basic filter that blocked only inappropriate graphic ads on web pages and pop up ads. I really enjoyed that because I find ads very annoying altogether. Especially flashing ones. Ugh. However when I searched for photos on google images or other photo sites nothing was blocked at all.

sky

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 9:58 am
I use firefox instead of microsoft explorer. You can use an addin to block ads. This way when I go to general websites - like yahoo mail I"m not inundated with pictures of women in their underwear jumping around. You can choose to add allow specific pages if needed.

I was planning on using iboss home- http://www.iboss.com/residential.html
but its been out of stock for a while.
It blocks based on topics.
I'm hoping it will work for me as I can't install a filter on my machine for various reasons and my son's school requires a filter.

I spoke to someone very familiar with with internet filters and he was good at getting an idea of what I needed.

I also don't think overriding a filter with a password is bad. It still blocks the images and popups when You don't need them for work.

chocolate chips

Post Mon, Apr 02 2012, 1:15 pm
I personally think that a filter is a great thing..but with just me and dh, what is the point?
We trust each other and we both don't go on any 'bad' sites.
Once there are kids around it's a whole different ball game.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics