Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Yapchik in the crockpot instructions
Previous  1  2  3

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 02 2020, 9:40 am
TCR wrote:
Don't the potatoes turn brown if there is no oil or water on top of the potatoes?

They turn rich and brown and very creamy. That's the point of yapsuk.

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 5:58 pm
Bump. Can I use a plastic cholent bag?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 6:03 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Bump. Can I use a plastic cholent bag?

Yes

bsy

Post Mon, Apr 04 2022, 6:15 pm
I use a bag but put some water under the bag so it doesn't burn

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 4:37 pm
Thank you. Also, can I use only boneless flanken or must I also use meat with a bone?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 05 2022, 6:01 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
Thank you. Also, can I use only boneless flanken or must I also use meat with a bone?
I use boneless meat. But I place beef neck bones underneath that.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 5:43 am
Hi-- I saw someone wrote to cook 18+ hours. So if I make erev Yom tov, I should keep on low over shabbos, rather than cooking it all today and putting on keep warm?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Apr 15 2022, 5:50 am
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
Hi-- I saw someone wrote to cook 18+ hours. So if I make erev Yom tov, I should keep on low over shabbos, rather than cooking it all today and putting on keep warm?

Yes

IMO

Post Mon, Apr 18 2022, 9:13 am
I’d like to prep this and set to go on 2nd day yom tov Friday.
Thing is, I only have a huge crockpot for pesach, and we are only a small family (I bought it with guests in mind).
The amount of yapchik I’ll be making will result in a very shallow, wide mixture going only up to halfway/a third of the way up the crockpot.

Will taste or texture be effected?
Should I be cooking it for less time than the 15-17 hours mentioned above?

dazzle

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:24 pm
If I want to make this for Shabbos of the second days, what's the best way to do it? Cook for an hour erev Yom tov and then put in the fridge until Friday afternoon or prep and freeze or leave everything in cold water and put all together on Friday? Or any other good ideas??

nicole81

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:07 pm
dazzle wrote:
If I want to make this for Shabbos of the second days, what's the best way to do it? Cook for an hour erev Yom tov and then put in the fridge until Friday afternoon or prep and freeze or leave everything in cold water and put all together on Friday? Or any other good ideas??

Disclaimer- I haven't tried it this way before but I'm a good cook and I also refuse to make it without my food processor.

My plan is to shred all the potatoes in the processor tomorrow and leave them in a large bowl of water in the fridge. I'll fill my crockpot with water and leave it on low from before yt. Friday afternoon around 5, I'll dump the crockpot water, drain the potatoes, and prepare as usual. And hope for the best. I don't see why it shouldn't work. I might leave some of the starchy liquid in instead of draining it all.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:18 pm
dazzle wrote:

Hand grate potatoes for this on Friday.

Otherwise make potato kugel cholent. Prep the kugel batter and sauté the onions in advance. Put kugel batter in a mason jar or large container, with a paper towel on top before sealing. Refrigerate. Only the paper towel will turn brown but not the kugel batter (If some of the batter on top browns, just scoop it off.) Then put up the dish fresh in the crockpot before shabbos.

nicole81

Post Sat, Apr 23 2022, 8:42 pm
nicole81 wrote:
Disclaimer- I haven't tried it this way before but I'm a good cook and I also refuse to make it without my food processor.

My plan is to shred all the potatoes in the processor tomorrow and leave them in a large bowl of water in the fridge. I'll fill my crockpot with water and leave it on low from before yt. Friday afternoon around 5, I'll dump the crockpot water, drain the potatoes, and prepare as usual. And hope for the best. I don't see why it shouldn't work. I might leave some of the starchy liquid in instead of draining it all.

Just to update in case a similar question comes up again, this worked wonderfully. I shredded the potatoes in the processor prior to Yom tov and stuck them into a soup sock on a big bowl of cold water in the fridge. Totally recommend in the future.

About an hour before shabbat, we dumped the water from the crockpot and cooked down the pot. I chopped and onion and mixed with the potatoes and everything I normally do. The potatoes looked great, not brown at all. I threw some extra water on top to compensate for any lost liquid, but it totally wasn't necessary. It was delicious.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics