Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Tuition- breakdown of costs
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Sat, Dec 09 2006, 10:16 am
Quote:
OK Motek- here are some answers for you:

Salaries are about 70% of the budget.
The remaining 30% gets divided between utilities, insurance, supplies etc.

My husband says in "his" school salaries are over 4 million dollars a year!!!!! (I think about 800 kids in the school)

That makes sense - where I live (not in the us) the government pays the salaries of the teachers, even in private schools. The local Jewish school charges about $3500 a year, before scholarships. The elementary school is much cheaper - a few hundred a year.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 5:11 pm
westchester N.Y $20.OOO

shul dues $1700

Grape juice $3.98

red sea

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 5:24 pm
amother wrote:
westchester N.Y $20.OOO

shul dues $1700

Grape juice $3.98

LOL, love how u stuck the grape juice in there LOL

amother

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 5:33 pm
LOL

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 1:10 am
queen, based on your figures, tuition should be around $6500 per child. How much is it actually, and what percentage of the children in the school receive reductions?

suomynona

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 12:03 pm
Motek are you sure you got your information right?
I'm pretty sure Lakewood tuition is 3-4000. It's less than Brooklyn.

Motek

Post Sat, Dec 23 2006, 6:11 pm
The question is whether Mishpacha magazine got their information right. I don't know.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 9:53 am
I am sure the schools offer scholerships. Most people don't make enough money to cover all those costs. The thing is they make you pay as much as you can and they make you volunteer if you can't pay. It takes a lot for a school to function and having certified teachers makes everything more expensive. If you send your kdis to a cheder type school they don't have certified teachers and they usually pay the Rebbe's very low almost making it impossible for them to make ends meat.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 10:54 am
When you're offered a scholarship of $500 and the tuition is over $10,000., it's almost a joke.

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 3:22 pm
Sorry but I don't believe that. If the school offers you a discount of $500 it's because they feel you can afford almost full tution. No FRUM ORTHODOX school is going to turn you away because you can't afford to pay. They won't tell you to put your kids in public school. The problem with todays day in age is that schools aren't subsidized by the community and it costs a lot of money to run a proper school. If you send your kids to cheder then you won't have to pay that much. It all depends on what quality of education you want and what you value.

Piper

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 3:29 pm
what is the difference between a cheder and a day school?

lubcoralsprings

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 3:55 pm
A cheder doesn't teach secular subjects therefore it's teachers aren't college graduates. The teachers are most likely Rebbie's or seminary graduates.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 15 2007, 5:04 pm
Sorry to YOU LUbCoralSpring; just b/c a school thinks I can afford full tuition, doesn't mean I can!

mommy24

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 5:39 am
Quote:
No FRUM ORTHODOX school is going to turn you away because you can't afford to pay.

Sorry but this is not true, I know of many cases where ppl with many children were told in no way could they get a scholarship. In one case there was a husband who was out of a job for over a year and having a lot of difficulties finding a new job. One yeshiva told him, he should put the tuition charges on credit card and let them acculmulate there, in other words it wasn't the schools problem. (Their kids ended up in public school for that year, but are now in another yeshiva).

Personally, we were facing financial dificulties, my husband was going to be let go, and although he was looking for a job we weren't sure how long it would take to get a new one. We spoke to 2 of the 3 schools that our kids are in. (we knew the other would not give any scholorship, although they have helped us trmendously in other ways this past year.) when we told the schools about our dilema each financial advisor told us to tell the other school our problem, instead of each school taking off a little bit , they wanted the other school to take the decrease in tuition. B"H it didn't come to that adn we were able to afford the tuition, but we couldn't beleive what the schools were telling us.

brooklyn

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 5:55 am
lubcoralsprings wrote:
No FRUM ORTHODOX school is going to turn you away because you can't afford to pay. They won't tell you to put your kids in public school.

Sorry, but you are wrong on this one. I know schools that have said to go to PS if you can't aford. Years ago when the frum community was dwindeling they would bend over backwards to keep kids in Yeshiva. This day and age where most yeshivas have waiting lists, they can and do pick and chose who they let in and who they give scholarships to. I know several people who have said that they can't afford the tuition and they would have to send their kids to PS. The response from the school was, "go ahead".

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 5:59 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Sorry to YOU LUbCoralSpring; just b/c a school thinks I can afford full tuition, doesn't mean I can!

They go by your finances. If they look at what you have and say you can afford it then obviously you are hiding some savings or something. People can hide their money to friends and family but not to schools. They look over your W-2's, auto loans, mortgage and everything. Unfortunaly all your skeletons come out when it's time to pay Yeshiva tuition.

lubcoralsprings

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 6:00 am
I am not saying I don't believe it it's just that I find it hard to believe an Orthodox NOT MODERN ORTHDOX school will turn you away.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 7:19 am
How about all the home schooled kids? And kids who don't go to camp?

amother

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 10:49 am
in my city, the cheder/bais yakov elementary school require a minimum of $2500 per kid. After that, they are willing to work with you, but you do have to pay at least that amount.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 16 2007, 11:04 am
chocolate moose wrote:
How about all the home schooled kids? And kids who don't go to camp?

Camp is a luxury not a necessity. Sarag, I mean chocolate mousse please refer to the oriniginal post.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics