Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Immunizations

stem

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 9:28 pm
My son just got his 12-month immunizations yesterday and he is a total wreck. He was up crying for half the night, refused to take a single nap today, beyond irritable, crying uncontrollably, extremely clingy, feverish, and probably in pain. I am dreading tonight because I have a feeling that we will have another insane sleepless night. The only way I finally got him to fall sleep last night at 3:30 in the morning was by laying him down on his crib and keeping my hands on his back, patting him until he finally fell asleep from utter exhaustion. I tried to sneak out of the room a few times before I managed to do so without him starting to scream again.
Note that before this he was the most easy-going kid, and never had a problem sleeping through the night since he was 10 weeks old.

Was it worth it??? I am starting to doubt it.

Tefila

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 9:29 pm
It shouldn't be that bad the reaction. Maybe check it out!

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 9:41 pm
Give him tylenol.
If he's still so cranky for another day, call the dr.
good luck!

gryp

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 9:54 pm
do you know which shots he had?

Last edited by gryp on Mon, Nov 24 2008, 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total

rydys

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 10:03 pm
From the CDC website:

Quote:
Measles itself is unpleasant, but the complications are dangerous. Six to 20 percent of the people who get the disease will get an ear infection, diarrhea, or even pneumonia. One out of 1000 people with measles will develop inflammation of the brain, and about one out of 1000 will die.

Before the measles vaccine became available, there were approximately 450,000 measles cases and an average of 450 measles-associated deaths were reported each year. Widespread use of measles vaccine has led to a greater than 99% reduction in measles cases in the U.S. compared with the pre-vaccine era.

However, measles is common in other countries where it spreads rapidly and can be easily brought into the U.S. If vaccinations were stopped, measles would return to pre-vaccine levels in the U.S. and hundreds of people would die from measles-related illnesses.

From Kidshealth.com:

Quote:
Mumps was common until the mumps vaccine was licensed in 1967. Before the vaccine, more than 200,000 cases occurred each year in the United States. Since then the number of cases has dropped to fewer than 1,000 a year, and epidemics have become fairly rare.

Because mumps can also involve the brain and its membranes, call the doctor immediately if your child has any of the following: stiff neck, convulsions (seizures), extreme drowsiness, severe headache, or changes of consciousness. Watch for abdominal pain that can mean involvement of the pancreas in either relations or involvement of the ovaries in girls. In boys, watch for high fever with pain and swelling of the testicles.

Quote:
the primary medical danger of rubella is the infection of pregnant women, which may cause congenital rubella syndrome in developing babies.

Before a vaccine against rubella became available in 1969, rubella epidemics occurred every 6 to 9 years

from the national immunization program:

Quote:
. Before the introduction of the varicella vaccine in 1995, approximately 4 million cases of the disease were reported annually, including 4,000 to 9,000 hospitalizations and 100 deaths.

Studies have shown that the varicella vaccine is 85 percent effective in pre- venting disease. If a vaccinated person gets varicella, it is usually a very mild disease

I sympathize with the pain your son is having. Some children do have severe reactions to vaccination and if your son is not better tonight you should take him to see your doctor. Fortunately, reactions like the one you are experiencing are short lived and the long term reactions to vaccination are rare.

I still feel, however, that with the above statistics so clearly showing the dangers of the diseases and the efficacy of the vaccines that vaccines are worth giving even when the child feels miserable for a few days.

deedee

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:08 pm
Quote:
Vaccines are against natural processes and thwart our body’s natural abilities to fight off disease. By suppressing our immunity vaccines actually make more diseases available to our body. Normal diseases enter the body by first contacting our nasal or oral mucosa. White blood cells are then activated to move and respond to those invading pathogens. The white blood cells increase movement in response to chemotaxis and will leave the blood vessels to enter the area where they are needed.

Fortunately, for our sake, the pathogen is inactivated before it ever enters our body. Blocking our immune system in no way makes sense considering the vast numbers of pathogens available today. Vaccinated children suffer more infection, colds ear infections, and rhinitis than unvaccinated children as a likely consequence of vaccinations. Unvaccinated children stand a much better chance at avoiding disease, because their immune system has not been tampered with.

deedee

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:09 pm
Quote:
Our fear of disease is heightened in the doctor’s office, when skewed statistics are quoted and diseases are seen as our enemies. The reality of life is omitted when nutrition [the only way our body has to boost immunity] is debased and belittled. Herbs are seen as dangerous and any method of health [curing] other than allopathy is attacked. People receive dangerous concoctions our of a fear produced for the sole purpose of selling vaccines. Vaccines go against every ounce of common sense that God gave us. Injection of toxic agents to produce health is not sensible at all. There are many references of vaccines to immune damage, brain damage, cancer, and loss of health, even life. Vaccines are the greatest farce ever placed upon a civilized community. But let’s not forget they are very profitable and their profit is in keeping people sick.

Quote:
The very important decision is our own, therefore, we have the duty to learn about vaccinations and the right to just say no - if we so desire. Getting one-sided information in the doctors office and then agreeing to toxic shots -vaccinations- is not being informed properly. Mis-information is worse than no information! It is our body and our choice; therefore, choose wisely, choose health!

http://www.mercola.com/article.....s.htm

rydys

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:23 pm
Quote:
Normal diseases enter the body by first contacting our nasal or oral mucosa. White blood cells are then activated to move and respond to those invading pathogens

This is exactly how vaccines work! Instead of being introduced through the mucosa, the purified protein (except in a few cases where it is inactivated or dead virus) that the white blood cells respond to is introduced through the muscle or subcutaneous tissue. This generates a mild inflammatory response which causes the white blood cells to come to the area and interact with the protein and develop memory cells to fight the virus if it should enter the body.

Quote:
Blocking our immune system in no way makes sense

Of course not, who would want to do that?

Quote:
Vaccinated children suffer more infection, colds ear infections, and rhinitis than unvaccinated children

According to who? where are the studies on that?

Quote:
Getting one-sided information in the doctors office and then agreeing to toxic shots -vaccinations- is not being informed properly

Actually, whenever a doctor gives a vaccine they are required by law to give the parents information on the benefits and risks of the vaccine.

I have never heard anyone from the "anti vaccine camp" talk about the benefits of vaccination, only go on and on about the potential risks.

Who is giving one sided information?

Quote:
But let’s not forget they are very profitable and their profit is in keeping people sick.

I don't see a penny for it, so I guess I'm more objective.

rydys

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:27 pm
BTW--in looking at the website you gave, some of what he wrote is wrong. For example, we do not have a limited number of white blood cells. The bone marrow contains certain cells that are constantly dividing and can become several types of cells depending on what is needed. These cells have been shown not to grow old and can divide indefinitely. That is what stem cell research is all about.

deedee

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:32 pm
Quote:
A 1992 study published in The American Journal of Epidemiology shows that children die at a rate 8 times greater than normal within three days after getting a DPT vaccination.

A preliminary study by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) found children who received the HiB vaccine ... were found to be 5 times more likely to contract the disease than children who had not received the vaccine.

In the New England Journal of Medicine July 1994 issue a study found that over 80% of children under 5 years of age who had contracted whooping cough had been fully vaccinated.

In 1977 Dr Jonas Salk (inventor of the Salk polio vaccine) testified with other scientists that 87% of the polio cases which occurred in the US since 1970 were the by-product of the polio vaccine.

The Sabin oral polio vaccine (OPV) is the only known cause of polio in the us today.

The February 1981 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association found that 90% of obstetricians and 66% of pediatricians refused to take the rubella vaccine.

Quote:
May 26, 2003: A peer reviewed paper was published this week providing further support for a causal relationship between several different common pediatric vaccines and the development of type 1, insulin dependent diabetes. The results are published in the Journal of Pediatric Endocrinology and Metabolism 16 (4):495-507; 2003, (Classen, J.B., and Classen, D.C.:Clustering of cases of IDDM occurring 2-4 years after vaccination is consistent with clustering after infections and progression to IDDM in autoantibody positive individuals

Last edited by deedee on Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sunshine

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:36 pm
What kind of shot did he get? My niece also had a bad reaction to one of her shots and when they had to give her another of the same kind months later they gave her a 1/2 a dose and then she came back another time to get the other half. This worked well for her. I am not sure if this can only be done to certain shots. Ask your doc.

deedee

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:47 pm
Quote:
I have never heard anyone from the "anti vaccine camp" talk about the benefits of vaccination, only go on and on about the potential risks.

Who is giving one sided information?

I havent heard drs go on and on about the potential risks - in fact ur first post only quoted the benefits.

Quote:
doctor gives a vaccine they are required by law to give the parents information on the benefits and risks of the vaccine

I'd like to know what the drs are told the risks are (not just temp side effects) is there some place I can find out?

rydys

Post Wed, Apr 13 2005, 11:54 pm
Quote:
A 1992 study published in The American Journal of Epidemiology shows that children die at a rate 8 times greater than normal within three days after getting a DPT vaccination.

I'm not sure about the numbers, but there was a higher than acceptable risk of serious complications from the DPT vaccine due to the whole cell pertussis. Therefore, it was pulled from the market and for the last 10 years we have been giving DTaP vaccine which does not contain whole cell pertussis.

Quote:
A preliminary study by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) found children who received the HiB vaccine ... were found to be 5 times more likely to contract the disease than children who had not received the vaccine.

I can't explain this, but would love to see it, especially since the rates of illness dropped over 90% within one year of starting the vaccine!

Quote:
In the New England Journal of Medicine July 1994 issue a study found that over 80% of children under 5 years of age who had contracted whooping cough had been fully vaccinated.

In 1994, the majority of children in the US under the age of 5 were vaccinated. the vaccine does not work 100%, so a percentage of those would have gotten the disease.

Lets look at statistics with made up numbers. If 100,000 children are vaccinated and of them, 100 get the disease, that is 0.1%. If out of 5,000 children who are not vaccinated 50 get the disease, that is 1%. The incidence of disease in the unvaccinated children is 10 times higher than that of the vaccinated children, but there are twice as many vaccinated children with disease.

Quote:
In 1977 Dr Jonas Salk (inventor of the Salk polio vaccine) testified with other scientists that 87% of the polio cases which occurred in the US since 1970 were the by-product of the polio vaccine.

The Sabin oral polio vaccine (OPV) is the only known cause of polio in the us today.

In 1970 there was still plenty of natural polio around and the oral vaccine offers more rapid immunity so it was used although there was potential for it to cause disease. Once there was no longer natural polio in the US, we stopped using the oral vaccine and switched to the injectable which does not cause disease.

Incidentally, when we stopped using the oral vaccine, the rate of vaccine induced polio was eight cases per year in the entire US! Not a very high rate, but too high to risk if there is no natural polio.

Quote:
The February 1981 issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association found that 90% of obstetricians and 66% of pediatricians refused to take the rubella vaccine

I was in 2nd grade in 1981, so I don't know much about the vaccine given then. I'd love to see a poll done more recently than 24 years ago.

deedee

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 12:03 am
Quote:
Science has glossed over the most valuable point of health, ... nutrition. What is it that boosts our immune system and gives one a vibrant healthy life? ... nutrition. What is it that allows one to over -come the most devastating diseases known to mankind? ... Nutrition. What is the key factor for the recovery of disease? ... Nutrition. What is needed for the body to heal itself? ... Nutrition. What key factor prevents disease? ... Nutrition. What is missing from allopathic medicine today? ... Nutrition! It is nutrition and only nutrition which boosts our immune system and helps the body defend itself from foreign pathogens. Herbs, foods, nutrients and vitamin supplements are the tour-de-force of our immunity and it is virtually ignored by medical science in favor of drugs (chemicals).

rydys

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 7:28 am
We agree there--allopathic medicine has not paid enough attention to proper nutrition in the past, although we are starting to make some headway now. Convincing the public, however, is much more difficult.

When I tell a parent that it is not necessary to give their child juice, for example, I am usually met with a blank stare and asked "what will he drink?" Ummm--water? milk?

Quote:
Herbs, foods, nutrients and vitamin supplements

I fo find this a little contradictory to what he says. If all we need is good nutrition, then why does he need extra herbs and vitamin supplements? If by herbs he means just pick them from the ground and eat them, OK maybe that is just adding them to your diet. However if he means herbal supplements those are processed chemicals just like medications.

Quote:
It is nutrition and only nutrition which boosts our immune system

Only nutrition? True, nutrition is probably the most important thing, but Hashem has given us the ability today to use other means to boost the immune system as well.

deedee

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 10:25 am
Hashem has also given us sechel (wisdom) to do the research and make the best decisions for our children, not to just blindly follow society and get shots cause you "have to".

stem

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 11:57 am
Just an update: my son slept fine last night, and seems to be feeling better today. He is still a little clingy, but that's fine.
I'm not sure about the whole immunizations debate, there seem to be valid points on both sides, though yesterday I was feeling like the whole thing was a bit rediculous... probably just the sleep-deprivation Confused

rydys

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 1:41 pm
I'm so glad to hear he is feeling better!

IndyMom

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 8:21 pm
Interesting debate. I wish there were some obvious definitive answers. I have been putting off my kids shots for a while now. 3 year old needs his MMR and 2 year old needs the third and fourth doses of a lot of vaccines. So far they are both healthy and now that our preschool doesn't have a 2 year old program anymore I can worry about the 2 year olds shots at the end of next year. I do have to get that MMR.

Rydys, is there a risk of having fresh MMR shots in toddlers with a newborn baby around?

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, May 10 2005, 9:13 pm
try pm-ing her
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics