Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
2005 honda odyssey please advise?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 2:08 pm
our finances are very tight right now but we need a new van. We have an offer of a great deal for a 2005 honda odyssey 8 seater (which is what we need) trust me I'd love something newer but money is very tight. It's a single owner 65,000+ miles. Are we crazy for considering it or is this something worth considering?

We were told the hondas last a long time.

Any opinions?

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 6:58 pm
Is there anything in particular about the van that concerns you? The Honda Odyssey is generally a good choice. We have a 2006 that we've had for the past 3 years. The millage on the van you are considering sounds relatively low. That's good. We haven't had any major issues with ours in the years we've owned it. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't continue to serve us well over the next few years or so, IY"H.

What's a great deal? Where would you be buying it? A reputable car dealer with some kind of guarantee? A private individual? Make sure you know the laws and how they apply to your situation, in case there is a problem discovered after the sale. Sometimes a great deal means there is an undisclosed issue with the vehicle.

amother

Post Mon, Apr 16 2012, 11:06 pm
it is being sold through a dealer but its more like a private dealer. Thanks for bringing up the point about a warranty I will check with them tomorrow.

Asking under 12,000. Seems to be a fair price for what I've seen elsewhere but just a bit nervous to buy so old but I'll ask about the warranty and maybe that will calm me a bit.

alpidarkomama

Post Wed, Apr 18 2012, 2:14 am
We always buy Honda/Toyota minivans in the $5K range and have always done *very* well with that. We usually buy cars that are 8-9 years old. With the last one (2001 Odyssey), we knew (based on our research) that it would likely need a new transmission before too long, so we just figured that into the cost of buying the car. 65K miles? Sounds great to me!! Smile We always get them with 120K+. Smile Overall, I'm sure our car costs are a fraction of what others spend.

Tova

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 12:21 pm
alpidarkomama = and how long (years, or number of miles) do they usually last?

french fries

Post Fri, May 11 2012, 12:45 pm
I have a 2005 odyssey. I love it. It has over 80,000 miles and runs beautifully. I think its worth buying it over buying a newer not as good car.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics