Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
1 lb. block of yeast

Hannah!

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 9:41 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

ruthanne

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 9:50 pm
I used to buy it like that in England. I would just weigh out what I needed and it keeps in the fridge for about 3 weeks and then I'd throw it out.

Then a friend told me to weigh it all out and freeze it in sandwich bags and then you just have to remember to defrost it before you need it.

It doesn't take too long, but don't microwave it like I did once Confused

ruthanne

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 9:54 pm
Just realized you prob. wanted to know how to use it Smile

Crumble requested amount of yeast into a bowl, sprinkle with a bit of sugar and then add one cup of very warm water to it and let it bubble for about 10-20 mins. The way to gauge the temperature is that it should be like a nice warm bath, not too hot or it kills the yeast.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 10:05 pm
my mom just cuts it into 16 pieces and freezes it. no need to defrost it, just dump into warm water with sugar

bandcm

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 10:07 pm
Does anyone know if I can just buy active yeast from the local bakery? There are no kosher stores where I live and I really wonder if active yeast needs a hechsher.

ruthanne

Post Sun, Dec 10 2006, 10:16 pm
bandcm wrote:
Does anyone know if I can just buy active yeast from the local bakery? There are no kosher stores where I live and I really wonder if active yeast needs a hechsher.

When in England we would just buy fresh yeast from the non-kosher bakery counter in the supermarket. We always asked for a whole block or we would ask them to break a chunk off and not cut it.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 9:59 am
Can you crumble it totally and then just teaspoon out what you need? I do this for bulk yeast.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 10:12 am
bandcm wrote:
The mashgiach of CHK told me it does need a hechsher. He told me to only buy it if I can see the box they came in, on which the hechsher would be printed (not the individual wrappers, which are just paper). I haven't been able to see the box, sometimes I ask the manager which company, and find out who the hechsher is for that company. The manager doesn't always know Confused

I started buying the compressed bag with dry yeast, lasts a very long time, and bargain price. The mashgiach told me that one of the companies of the dry yeast with a certain hechsher did have a big shailoh with problematic or not kashering of the equipment and he doesn't know if it was ever rectified, and I don't use that one. I make sure to use the one which is okayed by the Badatz. If you want you can PM for the info.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 1:17 pm
You DEF need to buy yeast with a hechsher. It can be made with wine! (If I remember correctly)

bandcm

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 1:29 pm
TzenaRena wrote:
bandcm wrote:
The mashgiach of CHK told me it does need a hechsher. He told me to only buy it if I can see the box they came in, on which the hechsher would be printed (not the individual wrappers, which are just paper). I haven't been able to see the box, sometimes I ask the manager which company, and find out who the hechsher is for that company. The manager doesn't always know Confused

I started buying the compressed bag with dry yeast, lasts a very long time, and bargain price. The mashgiach told me that one of the companies of the dry yeast with a certain hechsher did have a big shailoh with problematic or not kashering of the equipment and he doesn't know if it was ever rectified, and I don't use that one. I make sure to use the one which is okayed by the Badatz. If you want you can PM for the info.

Tzena Urena, your ideas are very practical for someone living in Crown Heights, who has about five groceries around the corner, but my reality is quite different: The closest store that carries food with hechsherim is a two hour plane ride away.

ruthanne

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 1:53 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
You DEF need to buy yeast with a hechsher. It can be made with wine! (If I remember correctly)

Are you referring to dry yeast or fresh?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Dec 11 2006, 2:41 pm
It was sold in a vacuum sealed bag.

BandCM - I used to buy it via mail order it once a year from King Arthur. Where there's a will.......

willow

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 3:12 am
How long does it last not in the fridge:(

Raisin

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 6:39 am
Quote:
Tzena Urena, your ideas are very practical for someone living in Crown Heights, who has about five groceries around the corner, but my reality is quite different: The closest store that carries food with hechsherim is a two hour plane ride away.

Well, there are not 5 kosher stores round the corner where I live. I don't buy fresh yeast either, because I think we asked and found out it is not necessarily ok. (I prefer the dried yeast anyway, it is much more convenient) For a while I couldn't find any kosher yeast here so I used to stock up on dried yeast in other countries. Fortunately it is very light and the dried variety keeps well out of the fridge. Now b'h I am able to find a brand listed as kosher in health food shops. I get the sachets because I need that type for a bread machine but for regular baking you can use the type in the tin.

you could probably get your nearest kosher shop to mail you some since it is not very heavy. Or ask a Rav about the fresh yeast.

bandcm

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 1:22 pm
I know all about dry yeast. I can buy it here, it´s on the kosher list.
BUT I don´t want dry yeast!
Challos do not come out so good and fluffy with dry yeast, and I have tried many companies and different recipes.

ruthanne

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 1:44 pm
bandcm wrote:
Challos do not come out so good and fluffy with dry yeast, and I have tried many companies and different recipes.

I dont have that problem! I can give you 2 recipes that come out great, even with whole wheat flour.
PM me if you want the recipes!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 2:38 pm
Perhaps it's more in the kneading than in the actual ingredients themselves.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Dec 12 2006, 2:57 pm
bandcm wrote:

I used to use the fresh yeast, and now use the dry. there's no difference.
My challos come out soft and fluffy, if I bake it at the right temp, let them rise long enough the 2nd time. What I use high gluten flour. That makes a big dif and also, as choc. moose says, the kneading does, and so does getting the proportion of flour and liquids right.

There's also a tip to let your dough relax for five minutes in middle of kneading. after that knead for another 7 minutes or so, when the dough turns very elastic and springs up when pressed with a finger - then it's ready.

Not letting it get overbaked, finetuning the temperature so that it doesn't get done on the inside but stays doughy on the inside....all part of the science of challah baking!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads