Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Getting references from over a decade ago

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 12:27 pm
Hi everyone. I was called for an interview tommorow, and they are asking me to bring two reference numbers from the places I worked at. The problem is that I haven't been working out of the house for over a decade and don't know if my superwisors are still there or even remember me. How should I go about it? TIA

cm

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 12:31 pm
Start by calling your old supervisor's last known number. Call your former workplace and ask. Also find out how to verify your employment - sometimes that's all the potential employer wants, or all the old employer is allowed to do. Ask in the human resources department.

Immediately sign up for LinkedIn (linkedin.com). It is like facebook for professionals - a great way to track down and keep in touch with former employers and colleagues. You might be able to find your previous supervisors that way.

Good luck with the interview!

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 12:42 pm
First of all, call the supervisors to make sure they still remember you. You could start by just saying hi and gauging whether they are like "What? Rivka who?" or "Oh Rivka! How've your last ten years been?" and then mention that you'd like to give their number to a prospective job. Or if there was a different coworker with whom you were friendlier and who would remember you better, use them as your references, or one friend and one supervisor. Then, in addition, I'd offer a reference who's not from your old place of employment, and explain: "I've given you the number of my previous employer, but since I haven't been there in 13 years I am also giving you the number of [our family rabbi, the coordinator of a program I volunteer for, another professional in this field whom I don't work for but knows me anyway...] in case you want to talk to someone more up-to-date."

Cover all bases and make sure your prospective employer won't be calling someone who will say "You're calling about Rivka? Rivka who? I don't know any Rivka..."

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 12:57 pm
Thank you for replying.
Part of the problem is that I'm SURE my supervisor doesn't remember me. I was working as a direct care counselor at client's residence, and only spoke with the supervisor over the phone, besides for the one time when he introduced the case to me. I also worked with him for about 6-8 month only. Another place where I did have a coworker who might remember me is most probably closed down.

seeker

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 1:04 pm
Maybe you can contact the coworker personally even if the place closed down.

Hashemlovesme

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:01 pm
have you worked from your house since then? if so then did you have a boss? I've put down my boss from a work @ home job before...

amother

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:08 pm
I did sort of freelancing jobs, but the intreviewer wants a reference from someone in supervisor position.
Lets say I call the HR and they tell me my supervisor is still working with them, what do I tell him? Hi I used to work on such and such case in 1999? What if he sais he doesn';t remember me? Help

cm

Post Tue, Apr 24 2012, 2:16 pm
OK, in your situation you still need to be able to verify your work history. Make sure you have a current phone number for someone at your former company - the one that is still open - who can vouch for your dates of employment, regardless of whether or not that person knew you personally.

I have also worked for a company which closed - but in this case it was taken over by another company, and old employment records were still available. If there is anyone at all who can verify your dates of employment at the company that closed, this would be helpful. If not - do you have copies of old employee evaluations? Any written communications from your employer indicating (or implying) start and stop dates? Any documentation of work you did during that time?

Have you been in touch over the years with any of your clients?

I agree that more recent references may be helpful, such as if you have been doing any kind of volunteer or at-home work, but the primary reason to "check references" is to confirm your work history. If your old supervisor doesn't remember you - that's to be expected after so many years. It can't hurt to call and ask, even if it feels awkward.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics