Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Fish tank on Pesach

roza

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 10:01 pm
what to do ? Help

proudmom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 10:03 pm
I dont have a fish tank but my in laws do and they cover it up with a cloth and they put (I think) a cube of food that last for the entire pesach.

Yael

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 10:15 pm
I have fish, and we will put a shell that is supposed to last for 14 days but really only 10 that gives off food to the fish. if you have a lot of fish use 2 shells. anyway we wont be home so I hope no fish will die while we're gone. that would be gross to see a fish thats been dead a while. Sad

IndyMom

Post Thu, Apr 14 2005, 11:29 pm
As I type this my husband is bringing our fish tank over to a [gentile] from my class who lives 2 blocks from us. We are selling them to him. We are going to Israel for pesach so I don't want to just leave them with a cube since we will be gone much longer then just the 8 days of pesach.

elisecohen

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 9:33 am
How big and what type--freshwater, goldfish, marine? For our freshwater tanks, we were told to do a regular water change/vacuuming, and then sell the chometzdike food or throw it away and feed them with the non-chometzdike foods available (various worms etc, available at fish stores--they are true treif of course so if you don't let treif pet foods in your house at all it won't work). We usually get about 3 different kinds of alternate foods, mix them, and figure there'll be something for each fish to survive on for the 10 days or so.

Motek

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 9:41 am
when we had a fish tank, matzo crumbs worked fine - we didn't have anything exotic so definitely don't try this idea unless you verify that it's okay for your fish!

technic

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 10:39 am
we only keep gefilte fish in ours so no problem there Wink

rydys

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 11:06 am
we just do a thorough cleaning and feed them blood worms.

I know you can't feed your fish basar b'chalav, but what is the issue with other non-kosher fish foods? Do some come with a hechsher?

elisecohen

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 12:04 pm
There are those who do not allow any treif into their homes even for animal food so they would not want the fish foods with shrimp, bloodworms, etc.

rydys

Post Fri, Apr 15 2005, 12:09 pm
I'm not being beligerent here, just honestly confused. Every fish food I've seen has these ingredients. Even the flakes have treif products in them.

roza

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 1:40 am
thanks for the answers. so we decided to put in vocation food and cover it with cloth and sell it with chometz. we have some gold fish, cleaning fish and some other fish with scales,nothing really exotic.

roza

Post Sun, Apr 17 2005, 2:26 pm
Pinteleh Yid

queenie

Post Fri, Apr 29 2005, 4:56 pm
I was looking at the vacation food - those cubes or shell shapes for fish. Anyone ever read the ingredients? I did, for about 20 or so different kind. They all contain WHEAT. Didn't know that did ya! I also couldn't find any fish foods for pesach or other times that didn't contain treif. They all contain treif.

So, if you are so concerned, don't get a fish.

I use bloodworms. The guy at the store just gave me a bunch in a bag free of charge.

roza

Post Wed, May 04 2005, 12:38 am
that's why we sell the tank with fish food and fish with chometz

Yael

Post Thu, May 05 2005, 2:55 pm
I like that picture, roza, very cute!
it cant be real can it?

roza

Post Sun, May 08 2005, 10:57 pm
I think the picture is photoshoped.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics