Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Sheitel Mavens: Have grey sideburns/black sheitel PLS HELP

manyhats

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 12:14 pm
I have an expensive black Frieda wig which I purchased back in the days when I was colorring my hair.

I don't color any more and my grey sideburns show when I wear my wig.

I've tried many solutions which I didn't like for one reason or another. I bought a mascara like wand to color the area. I've had that area dyed by hairdresser. I went down to Frieda to see if they could add to the wig to cover that space. They said there was no guarantee that the added piece would stay exactly where it was supposed to atay.

My new idea: Add some grey/white streaks to wig .

Is this doable?

Please , I need advice

Bracha

lizard8

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 12:19 pm
Why don't you just dye that area by yourself using drugstore dyes?

manyhats

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 12:24 pm
I do't want to dye the hair. Not myself nor the hairdresser. At home I don't cover and I like the grey/white hair.

Thanks for your response.

bigsis144

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 12:37 pm
I've got the opposite issue -- my hair before I got married was an auburny brown, and my sheitel matched it pretty well. Over time, my hair turned plain dark brown without sunlight, and my sheitel oxidized to more of a dark red. Smile

kollel wife

Post Thu, May 03 2012, 1:01 pm
I don't think adding grey to the sheitel will look nice, although it may look nice on real hair.

Some silver or streaked sheitels are very nice. I don't think that'll look good in the sheitel.

I have the same problem, but not a lot of greyish hear.

I put my sheitel down sort of in a U shape, in front of my ear and then behind my ear. I also take a razor and remove some of the hair there sometimes.

penguin

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 6:21 pm
Well, my colorist moved to a smaller place & no longer does coloring. So I finally decided to try it myself, and it really wasn't bad.
1. I use the natural no bad chemicals stuff
2. Prepare lots of reading material
3. prepare an old towel that you don't mind ruining
4. put towel around neck
5. put on plastic gloves
6. mix a teaspoon of dye with activator (I had two colors & I mixed a spoon of each)
7. apply to payos & hairline. I don't care much about the rest, YMMV.
8. set timer for about 1/2 hr or whatever your package recommends
9. Relax in bathroom or possibly in bedroom. If you don't have stuff all over your head, there is not as much to worry about getting it all over the place.
10. rinse out.

I put my head under the bathtub faucet. I was afraid that in the shower stuff might get in my eyes. My only issue was that there's no towel bar at that end of the tub, I am thinking of getting one for the once in six weeks when the roots need touching up. Maybe more often, but given my aging vision I don't see it so quickly, nor the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin, unless I take out the magnifying mirror.

I think that if you only color those hairs that tend to escape the sheitel, it will not disturb the salt & pepper look of your head.

I also think that even if you added some grey hairs to your sheitel (bad idea, in my opinion) the ones that stick out are going to be a different texture & will still be too noticeable. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by penguin on Thu, May 10 2012, 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

manyhats

Post Tue, May 08 2012, 10:30 pm
Penguin,

Thank you so much for your detailed answer. Much appreciated.

I've never colored my hair myself, I am generally a low maintenance person but I always felt it was worth paying for this service. As an aside, I also think it's nice to get a manicure.

penguin

Post Thu, May 10 2012, 8:19 pm
I did pay to have it done professionally, but once my colorist wasn't available, I didn't feel like spending the time to hunt around for someone who would use my 'natural' color etc. Plus by the time I ended up having a pedicure etc it was getting quite pricey. I think I'd rather spend the extra $$ on a massage...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels