Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
"Family First" (MISHPACHA) Serial story "Hid
1  2  3  4  Next

shira

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 4:47 pm
Is anyone following "Hidden Promise" in the "Family First" section of Mishpacha Magazine? Any ideas as to where the author is going with it? I'm so curious.............

yedidya's mom

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 9:03 pm
not sure. but this whole litvak vs. chassidim thing is a bit exaggerated, I think.

mama247

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 9:31 pm
I've been wondering about this. Do you think there are people out there who are really that litvak??? In this day and age I wouldn't be surprised by anything. Bottom line is, we're all intrigued by it and we're all reading it. Even if it's exagerated a bit, I think it's giving over some thought provoking messages about family, shalom bayis, motherhood, ahavas yisroel . . . IMHO good stuff. Can't wait for this week's issue!

yedidya's mom

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:09 pm
im curious too. but its definitely a bad idea for shalom bayis to run back to your parents when youre having issues with your husband...

mama247

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:15 pm
That's exactly what I'm saying! Sometimes you can learn what NOT to do from something exagerated like this. I'm sure she's going to learn this from her experience. Her father has already suggested his concern over her doing this in his own mind. Hopefully he'll say it straight to her face too.
Maybe we shouldn't even be reading so much into it. Maybe it's just good reading! I know I'm enjoying it, however maddening it may be.

ceo

Post Wed, Dec 13 2006, 10:16 pm
ohhhhh.....someone please catch me up! I haven't bought it in a few weeks. Must get it this week! The last episode I read, the downstairs neighbor had asked Goldie to babysit for their son.

What's happened since then? I could kind of guess that Y.M. was starting to become chassidishe.....sounds like my DH! Smile

shira

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 2:48 am
My question is - WHAT is Goldie's father going to discuss with his mechutan? Am I missing something? Am I missing the nuance and its clear that they will be talking about something specific (like divorce) or is the author purposely being vague to keep us in suspence?

suomynona

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 3:32 am
The story just finished a few weeks ago in the Hebrew mishpacha. It was really long - like 72 chapters. We don't always get the Hebrew mishpacha so I wasn't following it, but the week after the last chapter there were letters from the readers about it and an interview with the author. I was sort of able to get the gist of what would happen in the story, if anyone wants to know.
it seems like the story was a BIG hit in Israel and really struck a nerve. I don't think it will be AS popular in America because most Americans just don't "get" the whole Israeli mentality. I just can't picture myself or anyone I know saying or thinking the things they do.
I personally am enjoying it. It's the first thing I read in the mishpacha every week.
And yes they are alluding to divorce. To me it also sounds extreme because there aren't many "pure blooded" litvaks today, but maybe in Israel it's different...

Btw in the interview, the author was asked why she wrote such a story. She said she wanted to write a story about someone who's torn between her parents and her husband, and she figured this would be a good topic for that.

realeez

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 9:24 am
suomynona wrote:
about someone who's torn between her parents and her husband, and she figured this would be a good topic for that.

that reminds me of Hearts of Gold in a certain way...

rise above

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 9:34 am
I'm following the story too.. and read it first thing wednesday nt(followed by the serial in the main magazine)

suomynona, you made me so curious as to what happens in the end... Smile

The point isn't the issue they're fighting about, the point is to learn how, or more like, how not to deal with this kind of situation where dh vs dw have dramtically different views on something.

I think that the litvak vs chassidish thing IS exaggerated, but I think it has to be to bring the point across. Now-a-days, especially in USA, the chassidish vs litvak thing is so not a hot issue anymore.
Dh actually has a GREAT mashal for that if you're interested..

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 9:46 am
I've been following this story and I hate it. Everyone seems so dreadful that I get the feeling the author hates everyone; Litvaks, men who work versus those who learn, Chassidim. Maybe I have to live in that particular world to understand it, but none of the main characters impress me as being very kind or loving.

This is an outside point of view. But the characters seem to match every stereotype that many think of when non-Yeshivish people think of Yeshivish people.

rise above

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 9:53 am
HindaRochel, whats wrong with the husband in the stroy (forgot his name, the one who turns chassidish)?

I got the feeling the author leans towards chassidim actually, and has a slightly ridiculing voice towards the fil and mil who are so against chassidim to the point of being irrational.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 9:59 am
He's changing, and obviously he has been changing for sometime, but never even discusses it with the wife. Does he just expect her to follow along? If she doesn't want to be different what would he do? And why can't he be Chassidic and she be Yeshivish? So? Can't they compromise on some of the issues?

However, the dh isn't really that bad and I can understand why he might keep it secret. But the family he married into! I have been upset with this story for quite awhile. I keep thinking; I wouldn't want to know a family like this. The father is selfish, the mother self-sacrificing, everyone is so narrow-minded and hateful to anyone not them.

suomynona

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 11:06 am
I know what you mean, Hinda Rochel. Goldy's family really gets on my nerves.

rise above

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 11:07 am
same here, but I think that is precisely the point!

amother

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 11:24 am
Goldy gets on my nerves. They way she goes on about chasidim it's like he became a serial killer or s/t. It's kind of interesting to me as my bro became very chasidish but sil isn't. She says if it makes him happy why not she just doesn't want to change her style of dress or haircovering. Obviously certain minhagim in the house have to be consistant- like what time shabos is over.

ceo

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 11:51 am
SOMEBODY FILL ME IN PLEASE!!!!!

ceo

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 11:55 am
HindaRochel wrote:

This is an outside point of view. But the characters seem to match every stereotype that many think of when non-Yeshivish people think of Yeshivish people.

Yes, from what I've read-t he author is simply re-inforcing stereotypes, which are simply stero-types, not real people.

Nu, so what happened? the last episode I read- the neighbor had asked Y.M if Goldy would babysit for their son.

shira

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 11:56 am
I think the whole issue is a bit exagerated although not entirely. In Beitar, the divisions are very clear. The funny thing is that here, if you are chassidish, you can't get away with anything. Everyone knows your business and noted the kind of skirt you wore today. But, if you are litvish, they fargin you just about everything. And if you are AMERICAN, forget it!! you can do whatever you want and no one says boo. I guess its because no one would even think of doing a shidduch with us american litvaks. oh well.....their loss Smile.

suomynona

Post Thu, Dec 14 2006, 12:09 pm
ceo,
Goldy consults her father whether she should babysit for the neighbor and she ends up taking the job. meanwhile her brother is going out with a girl and the family isn't sure about the shidduch because the girl's great grandfather or something was a chossid. When Goldy tells it to her husband, then he gets very upset and the truth comes out. Goldy doesn't sleep the whole night and the next day is her first day babysitting, so she could barely function. Then she goes to her parents to discuss the issue with them. Her mother is already thinking of threatening him with divorce, while Goldy's father is taking it more in stride.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics