Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
IQ test

Ruchel

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 5:11 pm
I want dd to get an IQ test for various reasons including to be more (or less) motivated to skip a grade.

She is 5, what test would be recommended?

miami85

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:13 pm
I'm not sure how it works where you live, it might depend on what's popular where you live, but I think you might want to try the Stanford-Binet 5.

MaBelleVie

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 6:21 pm
The professional who is doing the testing will decide based on your needs.

What does IQ have to do with skipping a grade?

cm

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 7:34 pm
I am not familiar with the education system in France, but trying to motivate your child to skip a grade seems like an odd reason to test IQ.

If your child's needs are not being met by standard schooling, and having test results will help you get her what she needs, then you may wish to pursue testing. Otherwise, I can't think of how testing might be useful. Certainly it isn't a good idea for a child to know his or her own IQ scores, and the IQ concept in general has some weaknesses.

You might be interested in this website: http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/testing.htm

granolamom

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 8:05 pm
I thought ruchel meant so that she herself would be more/less inclined to pursue the option of skipping her dd.
in theory, if a child has a borderline birthday, IQ testing could provide another piece of insight which could be helpful in determining whether to push the child to be youngest in the higher grade or hold her back to be the oldest in the lower grade.
but maybe that's what I thought because we went through something like that.
I cant imagine sharing IQ score with a child of 5, or trying to motivate a small child to skip a grade.

and I do want to say that IQ testing is one (very small) piece. an IQ in high gifted ranges doesnt always predict success in skipping a grade and I'm sure that many children with average IQ scores have done well skipping grades too.

cm

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 8:12 pm
Perhaps I misunderstood Smile

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, May 15 2012, 8:29 pm
when we were involved in psychometric testing around our son's PDD-NOS, we were told that IQ is only one small indicator of intelligence. In fact, he only tested then (at around 5) as somewhere around 100 but we were told specifically that the number did not take into account numerous things that he was gifted with.

our experience is that he is off the charts intelligent but we would not bother testing him at this point to ensure it because as far as we are concerned there would be no benefit. I do know that gifted testing in canada takes place in grade 4, for placement in grade 5 if a child is gifted. skipping is not normal here and most kids who do skip end up socially outcast and on the fringes of everything due to their lack of maturity. public school gifted classes or more difficult private schools at proper grade level work best. a smart kid in a badly taught class can show like they are behaving badly because they are bored, but my guess is that a poor teacher with poor classroom management skills has more to do with it than the kid.

recently I read a story about a kid whose parents refused to skip him (in florida maybe?) so they kept him at grade level and at night he took community college courses. he graduated with his diploma (not a baccalaureate, but still post secondary) and his grade 8 at the same time and then continued high school. he was insanely well adapted and happily social. I thought that was brilliant.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 16 2012, 2:07 pm
Tests seem to vary according to the shrink, this is why I asked.

Mati is too young IMO to be told her result except "aww you did well" Wink

Yes, to me the IQ would say something skipping wise. It was handled that way with me, dh... skipping is the best thing ever when possible, maybe even more for a gal who may lose one year or more in uni when IYH she has a child. BTDT. Of course IQ doesn't cover everything... nothing is perfect. Maturity matters a lot of course, bh this is not a problem for dd...

I do not envision a gifted school at all as they aren't Jewish, and often the kids there have some problems, BTDT again Smile
Schools here do not have a special gifted class or track. I was less bored after skipping, but still bored. That's life...

Btw my dd is from February, so she is also the second oldest in her grade and she finds it all so slow... BH ds is from 31 December, he escapes the issue!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)