Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Nechemya Weberman charged with abusing 12 yr old girl
  Previous  1  2  3 20 21  22  23  Next

chavamom

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 11:05 pm
....and held to professional standards. And a mandated reporter....

imamiri

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 11:12 pm
chavamom wrote:

Mandated reporting must be the bane of their existence. "Their" meaning child abusers, molesters, and their supporters.

Orchid

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 11:17 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Orchid, since these sessions were taking place in his own home, I'm not sure it was yichud since other people were in his home. I am extremely baffled at the notion of a young, impressionable girl seeing a heimishe man for counseling - it boggles my mind!!!! 1 1/2 yrs ago I was desperate to see a therapist myself, and the intake person at the local clinic is a heimishe guy. I had no choice but to see him, and I was intensely uncomfortable. My face was burning the whole time. In the end he COMPLETELY misdiagnosed me and I learned of a 2nd clinic in the area where the intake person (who then chose to keep me on as her client bc we clicked instantly) is a lovely, beautiful, compassionate female LCSW. I was still shaking my head over the fact that the only person in that first clinic that can see patients initially is a MAN. And, I'm a 35 yr old grown woman, and I had nothing to be embarrassed of at that session. How compounded is that when it comes to a little GIRL, who is vulnerable, confused, and sometimes rebellious - I absolutely don't get how a little girl is sent for ersatz-therapy to a MAN. I just don't.

To be honest this was the first I'd heard of Mr. W. being a so-called therapist to whom little girls are sent. Ironically he charges mucho moola, while the clinic I went to, takes medicaid HMOs. I dont understand the whole thing, honestly.

So... can you ask your neighbors why they are okay with a school referring their young female students for private therapy sessions? Even in a house, the sessions themselves were ostensibly private. I know YOU are uncomfortable, but what about the staunch supporters who refuse to believe anything untoward could have happened? Those same neighbors, who presumably, think it's assur to have mixed seating at a family Channukah party, yet, mixed-gender private therapy sessions are ok?? (What I'm really getting at here is a possible way for you to plant a seed of doubt in their minds....)

chavamom

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 11:19 pm
imamiri wrote:
chavamom wrote:

Mandated reporting must be the bane of their existence. "Their" meaning child abusers, molesters, and their supporters.

They are certainly a bane to those communities that think they know "how to take care of these issues themselves". My son told me he was told by someone that yes, they believe guy is probably guilty but "jail is no place for a frumme yid". shock

imamiri

Post Sun, May 20 2012, 11:21 pm
chavamom wrote:
imamiri wrote:
chavamom wrote:

They are certainly a bane to those communities that think they know "how to take care of these issues themselves". My son told me he was told by someone that yes, they believe guy is probably guilty but "jail is no place for a frumme yid". shock

I don't care what you are, once you've molested a child, jail might be too good a place for you. Unless it's jail in some Southeast Asian country where "human rights" doesn't quite translate into the local language.

ora_43

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 7:45 am
cookiecutter wrote:
marina wrote:
Quote:
If you'd read what I wrote you'd see that I did not take sides but just made you aware that although that girl accused him, ACCORDING TO TORAH THIS PERSON WOULD NOT BE INDICTED because of lack of evidence. You don't like this halachah, go fight it out with the Torah, go fight it out with Hashem.

I find this post fascinating.

Ok, so what is the alternative, BD? Should we only arrest men who rape little girls in the presence of two witnesses and after a warning? Also, if a frum man is found to have a chopped up little boy in his freezer, but he didn't kill him in the presence of two witnesses, should we also let him go free?

And why should we arrest rapists? So the little girls can be given a choice of whether to marry them or not? So that the rapists will have to pay a fine? What if the rapists are rich? I guess they can go along their merry raping way.

I think halacha, as it was applied during the time of the sanhedrin, has nothing to do with this century's legal requirements.
Also, if one devotes more than a couple seconds of thought to it, it becomes clear that it wasn't practiced that way in the days of Sanhedrin either. Unless they were just used to a really high crime rate with no possibility of enforcement.

Jewish sources say that's not how it was in the time of the sanhedrin. Even the pshat of the written Torah makes it clear that what BD said is incorrect. You need witnesses in order to get someone put to death by a beit din for rape of an engaged or married woman, but you don't need witnesses to prove rape - that's the whole thing of "in the city" vs "in the field," if there are no witnesses the assumption is that it was rape.

ElTam

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 10:10 am
MamaBear, how do you know someone was home every time a "therapy patient" was at Weberman's house? The fact that it was in his house doesn't mean there was no violation of yichud.

Besides which, the fact that it was in his house is no guarantee that something didn't happen. It's not as if we are alone in our homes when we have relations.

Last edited by ElTam on Mon, May 21 2012, 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

groisamomma

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 11:29 am
Mama Bear wrote:
Orchid, since these sessions were taking place in his own home, I'm not sure it was yichud since other people were in his home. I am extremely baffled at the notion of a young, impressionable girl seeing a heimishe man for counseling - it boggles my mind!!!! 1 1/2 yrs ago I was desperate to see a therapist myself, and the intake person at the local clinic is a heimishe guy. I had no choice but to see him, and I was intensely uncomfortable. My face was burning the whole time. In the end he COMPLETELY misdiagnosed me and I learned of a 2nd clinic in the area where the intake person (who then chose to keep me on as her client bc we clicked instantly) is a lovely, beautiful, compassionate female LCSW. I was still shaking my head over the fact that the only person in that first clinic that can see patients initially is a MAN. And, I'm a 35 yr old grown woman, and I had nothing to be embarrassed of at that session. How compounded is that when it comes to a little GIRL, who is vulnerable, confused, and sometimes rebellious - I absolutely don't get how a little girl is sent for ersatz-therapy to a MAN. I just don't.

To be honest this was the first I'd heard of Mr. W. being a so-called therapist to whom little girls are sent. Ironically he charges mucho moola, while the clinic I went to, takes medicaid HMOs. I dont understand the whole thing, honestly.

When I saw a frum therapist at a public clinic, he would ask the nurses to poke their heads in every once in a while. I liked that.

saw50st8

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 12:46 pm
chavamom wrote:
imamiri wrote:
chavamom wrote:

Then clearly they have never been to Otisville! Its teaming wtih frum men.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 1:25 pm
The point is that frum men "shouldn't go to prison". B/c, you know, it's hard to be frum there. Rolling Eyes

MommyZ

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 1:27 pm
chavamom wrote:
The point is that frum men "shouldn't go to prison". B/c, you know, it's hard to be frum there. Rolling Eyes

Exactly. Sometimes, on Pesach, it's hard for them to avoid gebrakts. *Gasp*

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:11 pm
how will they attend the daily chavrusa Sad Sad
urgh

yksraya

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:15 pm
Ruchel wrote:
urgh

the daily chavrusa with the 9 yr old kid?
12 yr old girl?
5 yr.old boy?

StrawberrySmoothie

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:17 pm
My ex used to go to prisons on Purim to lein megillah (as part of Aleph institute) and he said one guy would not come out and listen to megillah being leined by a lubavitch bochur. Cuz ya know, prison inmates can be choosy about who they hear megillah from...

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:20 pm
It's just so sick.
Though of course there is a difference between prison for a hideous crime and a more "normal" thing.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:27 pm
Ruchel wrote:
urgh

Oh, based on recent news stories, I'm sure they'll find another inmate with whom they can have a chavrusa.

chavamom

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:34 pm
Actually, I believe it is Otisville that has a minyan, beis medrash and daf yomi shiur.

Barbara

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:37 pm
chavamom wrote:
Actually, I believe it is Otisville that has a minyan, beis medrash and daf yomi shiur.

And probably little or no internet ... or at least only internet that is extremely filtered. Complete gender segregation. HEY. Maybe this "is" the place for frum men!

For the humor impaired, I "am" joking.

saw50st8

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:38 pm
Yes Chavamom. Its like a regular Beis Medrash there!

yksraya

Post Mon, May 21 2012, 2:41 pm
Barbara wrote:
chavamom wrote:

And probably little or no internet ... or at least only internet that is extremely filtered. Complete gender segregation. HEY. Maybe this "is" the place for frum men!

For the humor impaired, I "am" joking.

and they even got one another to molest.
Page 21 of 23   Previous  1  2  3 20 21  22  23  Next Recent Topics