Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Writing curriculum

Frenchfry

Post Mon, May 28 2012, 11:44 pm
I am looking for a good curriculum for teaching my 4-5th grader style and mechanics of writing. While it is easy to gage his progress in most other subjects, (ie math concepts, or grammar rules), I find it hard to make sure his overall writing style is progressing, since I have no other students at his grade level to compare to.

granolamom

Post Tue, May 29 2012, 11:57 am
I just got Writing Strands for my 11 yo ds. he hated it, but I thought it looked like a nice, user friendly writing program. we're going to look for something else, but look into it. it wasnt very expensive either, I got it on ebay for $10/book new.

yaelinIN

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 2:47 pm
Are you looking for something more "school-y"? Hake (Saxon) Grammar has a writing component along with the grammar books. It is thorough (as all Saxon products are) and incremental and spiral based.

I have not used the writing component yet (we use IEW [Pudewa]) for writing), but I think I might give it a whirl this summer as a mini-subject with the almost 6th grader and my almost 3rd grader. Hake starts at 5th grade (although I may go slowly through it next year with that almost 3rd grader).

Maybe ask on Room613 or Torch-d or JOH?

Frenchfry

Post Wed, May 30 2012, 6:09 pm
What's JOH?

Rikola

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 8:08 pm
I have a friend who is creating a curriculum exactly for this. PM me if you'd like more info.

yaelinIN

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 10:20 pm
JOH is Jewish, Orthodox, and Homeschooling, a YahooGroup that I run. It has almost 250 homeschooling (or potentially homeschooling) families and is a lively source of support, information and homeschool love!

Click on the link in my sig file for more information.

BinahYeteirah

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 6:43 pm
We use Writing with Ease by Susan Wise Bauer. Writing with Ease has four levels. If you have your son do the year end assessments, you will be able to place him into the correct level. If he does well in all four assessments, the next level is called Writing with Skill.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling