Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Are white whole wheat & whole wheat pastry flour the sam

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:44 am
Are white whole wheat & whole wheat pastry flour the same or is there a difference between them? If different, what should each kind be used for?

TIA

Liba

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:49 am
Pastry flour is finer than the white whole wheat flour. Pastry flour is finely ground, white whole wheat (unless it is pastry flour) is regular flour made from a light colored wheat. I love the white whole wheat flour for cakies, cookies, challah, anything that I would otherwise use white flour for. It has a nice flavor and a relatively light texture too.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:53 am
Liba wrote:
Pastry flour is finer than the white whole wheat flour. Pastry flour is finely ground, white whole wheat (unless it is pastry flour) is regular flour made from a light colored wheat. I love the white whole wheat flour for cakies, cookies, challah, anything that I would otherwise use white flour for. It has a nice flavor and a relatively light texture too.

And then what would you use whole wheat pastry flour for?

Liba

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 11:54 am
Pastry and things you would use pastry flour for. I have a SIL who uses it for challah and it works. I have never tried it since it costs more and we are happy with the regular, non pastry flour.

spring13

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 12:33 pm
Pastry flour is usually lower in gluten than regular flour (including regular whole wheat), so it's good for things like cookies and cake as opposed to bread/challah. If I have pastry flour when I want to bake bread, I add gluten to help the dough get the right consistency (think about the difference between cookie dough and bread dough - activated gluten is what makes that difference). If I was using regular white whole wheat for the purpose, it wouldn't be as much of a concern.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, May 31 2012, 1:56 pm
Thanks everyone.

AZmom09

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 2:22 pm
I know this is an old post, but does anyone know what white whole wheat flour is in Israel? And what is Whole Wheat Pastry flour?

greenfire

Post Sun, May 19 2013, 2:56 pm
white wheat and red wheat are different types of wheat ... pastry flours have less protein & gluten - the higher the protein & gluten levels the better rise for things such as breads

I've interchanged when running out of flours - but never had a problem with my baking - just comes out slightly different texture [sometimes needing to add a little more flour if too sticky or a little more liquid if too dense]
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads