Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Dov Haller
1  2  Next

married21

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 11:11 am
I think Dov Haller’s serial is superb (as always!). He always writes about contemporary and relevant issues.

It’s amazing that while he’s writing how that blog that is ruining the reputation of the principal the internet asifa was taking place. Good timing!

I wonder if Dov Haller is a pseudonym, who is he?

boysrus

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 1:32 pm
I am the world's biggest fan! this is my favorite author, he hits the nail on hte head every time, is extremely insightful and I am so impressed with his ability to understand each character so well! I buy every book he writes!
Where is hte rest of the fan club?!

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 2:31 pm
I also like him, a refreshing change from all the other serial writers (whom I also enjoy very much! But still, he is different. I like them, and I like having something different.) I LOVED Waiting for the Rabbi. This particular story isn't grabbing me that deeply, but I still find it interesting.

I also want to know who he is and where he comes from, that he has this talent for both understanding people and expressing it beautifully in writing. On one hand, he seems intimately familiar with the yeshivish world, on the other hand (and I know it's terrible of me to make this kind of generalization) I didn't think the yeshivish world tends to produce that kind of talent. Which I guess could still be true and that's why there seems to be only one Dov Haller?! Maybe he went to yeshivish schools but is a product of an exceptionally thoughtful home?

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 2:37 pm
Which story in which magazine is he currently writing (I read them all but don't always pay attention to who the author is)?

seeker

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 3:00 pm
I've only seen him in Mishpacha. Currently they're running his "Sundays@10" as a serial. It's about a yeshiva and its politics, seems to be mainly about the menahel with a side plot about the assistant menahel but lately that as well as any other side plots are being quite neglected. I guess that's why I've been feeling it's kind of slow, just going on and on about this blog that's trying to shmear the menahel...

Mama Bear

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 3:18 pm
Dov Haller is a pseudonym. He writes for Mishpacha from time to time under his real name as well. He is an incredible writer. I have told Mishpacha that I'm impressed how they are dealing with real topics without burying their heads in the sand (like Binah does) and without pushing the envelope and getting risque/controversial (like Ami does). I wonder if he'll modify his story now that the Asifa has changed things...

Levtov

Post Fri, Jun 01 2012, 5:01 pm
Why would Asifa change things? The reality of anonymous posters making trouble is a well-known and relevant issue. I like this serial and author.

RHALL

Post Sat, Jun 02 2012, 10:32 pm
Who says its a pseudonym?

sarahd

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 5:42 am
Is it not? Are you perchance Mrs. Haller? Wink

rochel3

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 8:10 am
No it is a pseodonym I kno his family well

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 9:44 am
I don't think the asifa changes anything. This is a Litivish, sort of out of town place.
I think it's actually excellent and has helped me limit me time on some newsblogs.
If anyone wants to PM me with his real name I won't tell anyone.

joy613

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 10:38 pm
Mama Bear wrote:
Dov Haller is a pseudonym. He writes for Mishpacha from time to time under his real name as well. He is an incredible writer. I have told Mishpacha that I'm impressed how they are dealing with real topics without burying their heads in the sand (like Binah does) and without pushing the envelope and getting risque/controversial (like Ami does). I wonder if he'll modify his story now that the Asifa has changed things...

Mama bear, I'm pretty sure I remember you once writing the real name who you suspected he was. Is it that person? In that other post you seemed to not be 100% sure.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Jun 03 2012, 11:51 pm
Well I did confirm the true identity but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to say. I'll Pm u.

married21

Post Mon, Jun 04 2012, 10:02 am
Is it Yisroel Besser?

Mama Bear, can I PM you for his name?

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 1:19 pm
Whomever he is, his story in Pesach's "Calligraphy" has just made me cry. Should be required reading for everyone who knows a child...

cnc

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:03 pm
It is Y. Besser. Can you refresh my memory? Which story are you referring to?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:22 pm
well rock my world! I love dov haller's writings and never knew it was a pseudonym let alone Y Besser! Fascinating!

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:26 pm
cnc wrote:
It is Y. Besser. Can you refresh my memory? Which story are you referring to?

If he doesn't want it to be known then posting it publicly is lashon hara.

cnc

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:
If he doesn't want it to be known then posting it publicly is lashon hara.

It's not a secret, I'm pretty sure he's mentioned it.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, May 27 2018, 6:21 pm
The story is "Water under the bridge".

There was another unforgettable one a while ago, about a Rav who insisted on Takanos for weddings in his community. (This author is a genius!)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room