Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Which is your favorite, most reliable Kosher cookbook?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Which is your favorite Kosher cookbook? Why...
Spice and Spirit  
 49%  [ 51 ]
Balabuste's Choice  
 5%  [ 6 ]
The Haimishe Kitchen (Nitra)  
 16%  [ 17 ]
Kosher by Design ( any of S. Fishbein)  
 19%  [ 20 ]
Silver Spoon  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Garden of Eating  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Kosher Palette  
 6%  [ 7 ]
Jennie Grossinger  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 103

Flowerchild

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 10:57 am
ok its not on the list but I use this cookbook all the time and its my favorite one "The Book of Jewish Food" by Claudia Roden

Basya

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 11:31 am
I love the Heimishe Kitchen! I use it all the time!

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 11:52 am
Kosher palette 1 and 2. I enjoy them a lot.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 12:48 pm
the Balabusgte's Choice is also a good cookbook, it's just not all inclusive like the Spice and Spirit is.

JRKmommy

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 1:12 pm
For the really traditional recipes, nothing beats Second Helpings Please! I still use it for apple cake, challah, charoset, etc.

For more modern recipes, I use Healthy Helpings (latest from Norene Gilletz), vegetarian cookbooks like Moosewood Cooks At Home, or I just make up or adapt my own recipes.

mumof1

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 1:31 pm
I love the kosher pallete I like the first much better than the second.
I make everything from there.
another great cookbook is the balabustas choice.
I dont have spice and spirit, but I want to get it.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 1:50 pm
Lillyofthevalley wrote:
ok its not on the list but I use this cookbook all the time and its my favorite one "The Book of Jewish Food" by Claudia Roden

I also have that one - got it as wedding present. The ashkenazi section is nothing special but she has great sefardi recipes, and so many. (There must be a dozen recipes alone for kibbeh)

Otherwise I'm with Queen. Spice and Spirit (it has everything) and kbd and co.

Does anyone have enlitened Jewish cooking? I am thinking of getting that. I am getting tired of recipes that only taste good because they have buckets of sugar and margerine in them.

queen

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 2:46 pm
mumof1 wrote:
I love the kosher pallete I like the first much better than the second.

ooooooops, didn't have either one and hinted to husband that I would love K.Pallete 2.... and just got it last night.

hope I didn't make a mistake there, and should've rather mentioned 1. oh well Smile I'll enjoy it bec. he gave it to me!

Mevater

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 2:54 pm
Has anyone heard of "Deal Delights" a Sephardic cookbook that simplifies their recipes, that Sephardic women use as well?

What do people say about it?

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 7:55 am
We have few kosher cookbooks. It's so easy to adapt the recipes (or skip the really unkosherable ones), easier than hunting for kosher cookbooks... LOL

ruthanne

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 8:36 pm
Raisin wrote:

Does anyone have enlitened Jewish cooking? I am thinking of getting that. I am getting tired of recipes that only taste good because they have buckets of sugar and margerine in them.

DH just bought it for me recently. He's into the low-carb way of eating and no sugar. I made a few things from it and they're pretty good.
The challah recipe is great and I use whole wheat flour only and its delicious! The apple crumble is also good and has much less crumble so its lower in carb.
Raisin, let me know if you want any recipes from it. Smile

shopaholic

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 6:43 am
I have so many but #1 is Spice & Spirit. You can find almost anything there. #2 are the Kosher By Design ones (I have all 4)

ruthanne

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 7:45 am
momof3 wrote:
I have so many but #1 is Spice & Spirit. You can find almost anything there. #2 are the Kosher By Design ones (I have all 4)

I use S&S the most but if I want something a bit different then KBD is for sure the best. I only have the first one but I also have Kosher Palette which is great!

Mevater

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 7:48 am
momof3 wrote:

I bought the Kosher by Design Entertains a while ago, and never used it for recipes. I looked through it last night and I wonder why I bought it!

Who needs a cookbook full of recipes with exotic, hard to find ingredients and, if anything, a sprinkling of usable recipes with beautiful photography as the main strong point? I liked the room settings. Rolling Eyes

I see posters commenting on the Pineapple Challah Kugel. That might be one possibility.

mimsy7420

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 8:00 am
letsbehonest wrote:
momof3 wrote:

I bought the Kosher by Design Entertains a while ago, and never used it for recipes. I looked through it last night and I wonder why I bought it!

Who needs a cookbook full of recipes with exotic, hard to find ingredients and, if anything, a sprinkling of usable recipes with beautiful photography as the main strong point? I liked the room settings. Rolling Eyes

I see posters commenting on the Pineapple Challah Kugel. That might be one possibility.

I agree 100%
Unless someone spends their whole day cooking, some of those recipes are really not practical. Do this and then 4 hours later do this and then 10 steps later you might be finished. WHO COOKS LIKE THAT?

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 8:03 am
sorry to be the bad guy, but I am not crazy about spice and spirit cookbook.

ny21

Post Fri, Dec 22 2006, 8:04 am
the only recipe book I have is that one.
my grandmother gave it to me.
I like the drawings.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 5:48 am
I usually pull out the Heimishe (Nitra)Cookbook as my first resort. I got the 2 books when I got married. I added Spice & Spirit, Bobover Cookbook, Pupa cookbook, the newer versions of the Heimishe(Nitra). Those are my main cookbooks. But I do have one or two more that I never look at.

shopaholic

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 8:13 am
I've made a few things from KBD Entertains. My main problem is that they include ingredients that I won't eat. Sometimes I'm too picky. I don't find the recipes too hard. I like to cook & bake, hence so many cookbooks.

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 12:00 pm
I like Spice and Spirit, because the recipes don't conflict with kashrus standards I go by, the whole cookbook was produced with direct consultation with Rabbonim about everything. The recipes reflect that. Mezonos recipes are really mezonos, even according to a stricter opinion for example. There's info about shiyurim for challah and when to take it from all kinds of batters that's very helpful. And I love the Pesach edition.

But I think the format could be revised, with so much competition from the new full color ones Confused

I also have heimishe (best of 1 & 2), balabuste's choice, and some lesser knowns.

The one that I received as a wedding present, I learned how to cook from.

It has the times for boiling eggs, hard, soft, medium, how long and at what temp. to bake potatoes. How to make every kind of basic food by: cooking it, baking it, roasting it, braising it, frying it. Times, temperatures,techniques and only basic ingredients. It's called The American Jewish Cookbook. It has the regular kind of recipes too.

But for recipes, not techniques, I use the other cookbooks.

I Love Imamother Cookbook! Very Happy It's true! although the recipes are often missing little details, like what degree to bake it on and how long, when to add each ingredient etc. Wink but then I'm an old hand at cooking, so I'm familiar already with the general techniques, and I love the way the imamother recipes cut through the frills, and give it to you straight. Smile

I've made so many great new recipes since joining imamother.

Yael, you've got a winner! Cheers
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics