Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Which is your favorite, most reliable Kosher cookbook?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

Which is your favorite Kosher cookbook? Why...
Spice and Spirit  
 49%  [ 51 ]
Balabuste's Choice  
 5%  [ 6 ]
The Haimishe Kitchen (Nitra)  
 16%  [ 17 ]
Kosher by Design ( any of S. Fishbein)  
 19%  [ 20 ]
Silver Spoon  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Garden of Eating  
 0%  [ 1 ]
Kosher Palette  
 6%  [ 7 ]
Jennie Grossinger  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 103

myfriends715

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:27 pm
rise above wrote:
you're missing my favorite from the list
WHATS COOKING?

thats my favorite also.. easy and yummy recipes

Mevater

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 10:50 am
rise above wrote:
you're missing my favorite from the list
WHATS COOKING?

myfriends715 wrote:

thats my favorite also.. easy and yummy recipes

If I already have a dozen cookbooks, is this worth investing in? If it's the same as many other cookbooks, why bother? Should it be my New Years gift to myself? LOL

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 4:13 pm
Someone emailed me:

Quote:
Yeshiva of the South cookbook. It is the best!! mine
is being held together with rubberbands! You could go
on line to (I think it was renamed) Margolin High
School or Yeshiva of the South. They still sell it!!
Every recipe is good!

Chani

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 4:22 pm
Nothing beats Southern Kosher! Very Happy (Margolin Hebrew Academy is in Memphis, my hometown!)

rockys

Post Mon, Jun 15 2009, 1:39 am
[quote="girlsmom"][quote="littles"]
Quote:
I use Gatherings a lot. Some really good recipes.

Squash kugel I am now forced to make every week, the kids love it that much!. Salmon recipe in the appetizer section. Rice crispy treat w/ peanut butter. Some really excellent pesach recipes.

The sushi salad was a bust, though!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Wed, Dec 16 2009, 11:22 am
I love "Gatherings" - it is a fundraiser cookbook for a school in toronto named Netivot. You can buy it in the brooklyn stores in hardcover. Lots of amazing recipes - really delicious stuff! Not alot of people have this cookbook so you can make some "unique" recipes! My sister and sister in law also have it and we make lots of great recipes from it - highly recommended!

I also like the 1st Kosher By Design and the 2x Kosher Palettes!

Another great cookbook is called "Mealleaniyum" (it came out in 2000 - take off of Milleneum!) It is a great low-fat kosher cook book - also made in toronto by Norene Giletz (My mother-in-Law has lots of family in Toronto so they go there often and find all of these goodies!)

I think Spice and Spirit is a standard classic cookbook - but preffer more updated cookbooks and ones with Great Pictures.

Crowning Elegance is another good one - A fundraiser cookbook for Chicago's Arie Crown School. Nice pics, great recipes. Hard cover.

loveshoes

Post Mon, Dec 28 2009, 5:19 pm
I like using Gatherings and all the Kosher by Designs.
I have Silver Spoon and have not found any recipe that I love. Anyone have any success with that cookbook?

LeahRivka

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 11:58 am
Quick & Kosher by Jamie Gellar. This is a wonderful cookbook! Recipes are made in less than 10 minutes and are delicious.

helena

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:14 pm
the balabustes choice

mosma

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:20 pm
the purple spice and spirit book. never found a recipe I didn't like yet!!
(although I've never tried it for pasta-type recipes. only for the heimishe meat, chicken, salads, soups, etc)

mosma

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:22 pm
by the way I LIVE on recipezaar.com and if anyone's interested they can find my username (mosma) and try my recipes or see the recipes I've reviewed and liked. there are some pretty amazing ones!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 12:30 pm
loveshoes wrote:
I like using Gatherings and all the Kosher by Designs.
I have Silver Spoon and have not found any recipe that I love. Anyone have any success with that cookbook?
I didn't like Silver Spoon either and gave it away. (There is one great recipe there though. The grilled chicken salad. Look it up and try it.)

shosh

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 1:42 pm
Any Brits on here remember Evelyn Rose? Our shul gave her cookbook to all the girls as a bas mitzvah present. (But I don't recall ever using it, except once to make a chocolate cake!)

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 09 2010, 2:12 pm
I've checked the library for you! The kosher cookbooks we use most (after family written down recipes which is not really a cook book), are

La cuisine de nos grand mères juives polonaises, by Laurence Kersz (Polish)
La cuisine juive en Alsace, by Freddy Raphaël (Yekke, Polish and North African, we use for first two and I'm begging dh to try third one lol)
Le ricette di casa mia/ La cucina casher in una famiglia ebraica italiana, by Milka Belgrado Passigli (Italian - mix of Italki, Italian Ashkenazi, Italian Sefardi and modern Italian cuisine)

I've bought but haven't used yet:
Les bonnes recettes choisies de la cuisine yiddish, by "Mamie Golde" (grandma Golde) (Polish)

I plan to buy
http://www.kodechonline.com/pr....._1009 (kosher French high cuisine)
http://www.kodechonline.com/pr.....1uov3 (kosher Greek cuisine, with Judeo-Greek and Sefardic recipes)

Dh's cousin had a cooking booklet edited at a small number for his dd's bas mitsva, with Judeo Greek and Italki recipes. I think it's a great idea.

JRKmommy

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 5:02 pm
Norene Gilletz's "Norene's Healthy Kitchen: Eat Your Way to Good Health" is easily the best all-in-one cookbook.

http://www.gourmania.com/pages/books.htm

The recipes are all REALLY easy.
She includes the Jewish basics (chicken soup, challah, matzo balls, Passover recipes)
She also has more modern recipes
There is a lot of info on healthy eating and nutritional analysis of all the meals
There are a LOT of recipes - 600 of them!
[My friend was also her assistant for this book, plus I have a soft spot for Norene Gilletz since Second Helpings was THE cookbook that my mom and bubbies always used.]

I do have Gatherings as well - it's the nicest of the fundraiser cookbooks, and I love the Thai mano salad recipe.

geemum

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 5:47 pm
shosh wrote:
Any Brits on here remember Evelyn Rose? Our shul gave her cookbook to all the girls as a bas mitzvah present. (But I don't recall ever using it, except once to make a chocolate cake!)

My mother is a massive fan of Evelyn Rose, she claims it's the only book she needs.

Of the options listed here, the only one I own is Kosher By Design. My safest cookbook (not for baking) is Sara Finkel's Classic Kosher Cooking.

Rodent

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 6:25 pm
I use Spice and Spirit occasionally but I'm more of an experimenter and don't follow recipes much.

Hate the explanations in it though (which is wrong about some things) and find the classifications as laughable (what is international and what isn't).

craisin

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 6:55 pm
I love the" balabustas choice!" I hear that theyre coming out with a new one soon!!

frumshopper

Post Thu, Jun 17 2010, 8:07 pm
My new favorite is Simple Pleasures - it is a community cookbook (gevuras yarden) out of Baltimore that I recently got it as a gift from Shabbos guests. Although it doesn't have pictures, it has great recipes that are more along the lines of Spice & Spirit than Kosher by Design and we LOVE the Triple Layer Choc Mousse.
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics