Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Babies and Constipation.

Chany

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 9:00 pm
Hi, I have 6 week old twins BH. They both cannot move their bowels on their own. I don't know if it's called constiptaion. The only way I can get them to make is with a thermometer/q-tip or a suppository. It comes running out. Any better solutions?

Thank you!!

Twizzlers

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 9:07 pm
Mazel Tov!

I had the same thing with my baby. The dr. said that many babiesdont like the sensation of "letting it all out" and therefore are afraid to make. If it was constipation, it would be hard, not liquidy. Every other day or so (or more often if I felt he needed it) I did the thermometer trick till he started going on his own at about 2.5-3 months.

Hatzlacha!

Chany

Post Wed, Dec 20 2006, 9:12 pm
Thank you Mindimouse. I am doing the 'trick' every 3-4 days. I am trying to give them a chance to do it on their own. Also, I am basically only BF. I think it should be even better than with formula.

Any other ideas?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 21 2006, 12:13 pm
Chany wrote:
Thank you Mindimouse. I am doing the 'trick' every 3-4 days. I am trying to give them a chance to do it on their own. Also, I am basically only BF. I think it should be even better than with formula.

Any other ideas?

Yes, formula can be terribly constipating. So, you're right on to continue BF Smile I'm very impressed that you are doing it with twins!

However, some breastfed babies don't feel the need to empty themselves every day, and if the stools are runny and just come every 3 days or so, and the babies don't seem to be in pain, it could be they aren't constipated. If you didn't do the 'trick' would they go on their own? But usually, this is only the case in older babies, and not newborns, so I don't think this is your scenario.

Are there any other symptoms? If so, Hirschprung's Disease might be a cause:
http://pediatrics.about.com/od.....g.htm

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics