Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking
Teach me how to cook healthy, please!

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 9:29 am
I really want to cook healthy foods, low-fat and very minimal/no sugar, but I need ideas of what to make. Can you please share your healthy recipes with me? Breakfast, lunch, supper, snacks, sides, etc. Looking for everything please! Thanks a bunch!

ETA: We don't eat dairy, soy, nuts, or sesame for healthy/allergy reasons. Thanks!

anonymrs

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 1:00 pm
bump

abound

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 1:14 pm
oatmeal with silan, chia seeds and wheat germ

scrambled eggs with veggies

chicken, brown rice and cooked veggie

soups, soups and more soups

fish, potatos and salad

fruits

SS6099

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 1:42 pm
For starters, why don't you buy/borrow the cookbook Enlightened Cooking? It's got great low-fat/low-carb recipes with minimal fat.

Raisin

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 2:15 pm
What do you eat? I never use sugar in cooking. If you cook everything from scratch you can make sure there is no sugar and other rubbish in there. That means no duck sauce, ready made marinara, etc.

Don't fry stuff. I do stir fry using minimal oil (spray oil or I brush the pan with olive oil.) Skip margerine, mayo and other unhealthy fats. Use olive oil when you need oil.

This is examples of healthy foods.

any soups made without fat or oil or soup mix.

grilled chicken, fish or steak with salad, stir fry or cooked frozen veggies. Brown rice, boiled new potatoes, or other starch, cooked without fat.

As other people said, buy a cookbook that has healthy recipes. Weight watchers cookbooks are all low fat, low sugar.

baba

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 4:20 pm
I think it would be easiest if you give examples of your typical meals and people here can then help you find a healthier alternative.

Happy18

Post Mon, Jun 18 2012, 5:20 pm
ds6099 wrote:
For starters, why don't you buy/borrow the cookbook Enlightened Cooking? It's got great low-fat/low-carb recipes with minimal fat.

Another vote for Enlightened Cooking. The only thing I don't like about the cookbook is that the recipes use artificial sweeteners, I usually end up using sugar instead.

anonymrs

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 8:37 am
abound, how do you make your chicken/veggies in a healthy way? I don't want to use any prepared sauces/soup mixes or anything like that.

raisin, the only prepared foods that I use are mayo, ketchup, and mustard. Otherwise, I think I pretty much make e/t from scratch. I just need more ideas for diversity. What do you spice your grilled chicken with?

Does Enlightened Cooking have "weird" ingredients that I wouldn't typically have in the house?

dimples

Post Tue, Jun 19 2012, 11:28 am
do you have a grill pan? I cook tons of things in there (chicken, ground turkey burgers, I have another one for fish...) it is a really low fat and healthy method of cooking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Healthy Cooking