Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets
How do I make the dog go away??

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:17 am
Our apartment has one big window in the kitchen that opens to the landlord's yard. They have a dog which basically lives outside. In the winter it wasn't such a problem, but now we really need to keep the window open to be able to breathe, and the dog will not leave me alone! Whenever I'm in the kitchen making noise, and for sure when I'm cooking, he runs up to the window and sits there panting. It drives me craaaazy. I am so not a dog person. It also bothers me because I'm pregnant and there's an inyan not to look at tamei animals when you're pregnant. Our stove is right by the window and he is really in my face whenever I'm cooking.

Is there any way to make him go away that isn't tzaar baalei chayim??

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:25 am
No.

I am so, so confused why you rented an apartment from dog-owners if you're a) so not a dog person and b) have hashkafic reasons not to look at dogs.

Seriously. Why did you move there?

By the way, if you look over this section, you will see that many imamothers HAVE dogs, which presumably they see every day, including when they're pregnant.

Posting in the Judaism section about "an inyan not to look at dogs" -- okay. Posting in the pets section about "an inyan not to look at dogs" -- weird, to say the least.

But whatever.

gigi

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:41 am
put a lacey light type of curtain by your window, that will let the light and breeze . but this way you can't see the dog. if he doesn't see you he may not come over. it sounds like he's a friendly dog, looking for some attention and maybe some treats. if you ignore him, and he can't see you , he's less likely to come over. if you verbally shoo him away, he will still view that as attention, and maybe even as a game.
so best to ignore, and block both your views of each other if you don't like him

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:42 am
Well, I posted here because I thought pet-owners would be more likely to have some ideas.

I guess not. Smile

When we decided to move into this apartment, we knew they had a dog. We didn't know the dog is almost never in the house and pretty much lives in the yard and would always be at our window.

amother

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:43 am
gigi wrote:
put a lacey light type of curtain by your window, that will let the light and breeze . but this way you can't see the dog. if he doesn't see you he may not come over. it sounds like he's a friendly dog, looking for some attention and maybe some treats. if you ignore him, and he can't see you , he's less likely to come over. if you verbally shoo him away, he will still view that as attention, and maybe even as a game.
so best to ignore, and block both your views of each other if you don't like him

That is the weird thing. I TOTALLY ignore him and never gave him food or anything like that. I don't verbally shoo him away. I just ignore him. But he keeps on coming back...

gigi

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:55 am
he sounds lonely, like he's looking for a friend., and bored, so he's coming over to see what you're.doing.

look at it from his perspective, he's locked in a yard with nothing to see or do, every day and night. you are probably one of the only variations in his day. if you were in his position, you'd probably do the same thing.

I know that is not helpful to hear, if you don't like dogs,
but maybe it can help you be less annoyed if you see it from his perspective . and remember that hashem made every creature exactly where they are for a specific purpose.

another view blocking idea, is to put a window box in your window, and grow something tall, like mint.
we have one and it's really nice.

MountainRose

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 2:57 am
You might want to talk to your landlord. Ask them if you could buy the dog some toys that are tethered to the other end of the yard. Unfortunately, it sounds like the dog is just lonely and wants attention, so yelling at the dog to go away won't help (and will probably involve looking at it).

Discuss with your landlord methods of positive reinforcement to keep the dog in another part of the yard. Your pregnancy may even help you - you could say that you're overly susceptible to the dogs smell (tumei) while you're pregnant, and while you don't want to inconvenience them or the dog, you'd rather not smell it outside your window all day.

After you give birth and have fewer tumah issues to worry about, you might try to get to know the dog and enjoy its company. It sounds like a real sweetheart.

sequoia

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 3:06 am
Whatever you do, don't yell at him. If you yell at a cat, she rolls her eyes and goes and does something else. If you yell at a dog, he thinks he's a BAD DOG. Dogs take things personally.

You mentioned you ignore him, but, if you get a curtain, you won't see him at all. And it will still let in the breeze.

Smiling Wife

Post Thu, Jun 21 2012, 1:17 pm
there are alarms they sell that humans can't hear but they are sharp for animals and it bothers them so they stay away, I have done no research on how bad or good this is or whether it will hurt your kids hearing..etc. but I am throwing the idea since I remember it .
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Pets