Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Which of the Fishbein cookbooks is the most useful?
1  2  3  4  5  Next

Which of the Fishbein cookbooks is the most useful?
Kosher Palette  
 30%  [ 18 ]
Kosher by Design (2003)  
 23%  [ 14 ]
Kosher by Design Entertains  
 5%  [ 3 ]
Kosher by Design- Kids in the Kitchen  
 15%  [ 9 ]
Kosher by Design- Short On Time  
 25%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 59

hindyandrafi

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 12:38 pm
Has anybody seen the new kosher by design cookbook... just wondering what you think and if youve made any of the recipes

zuncompany

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 12:41 pm
preordered mine months ago. It will be here tomorrow. I called Eichlers today asking where it was. The messed up our address! Can't wait to get it!!!!

sara

hindyandrafi

Post Wed, Feb 16 2005, 1:54 pm
ooooooooh so excited... mine just arrived today...cant wait to try and make some stuff,,,

let me know what comes out good...

chabadnick

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 6:48 pm
its too expensive but I saw it..gorgeous pictures

Sunshine

Post Thu, Mar 31 2005, 9:53 pm
My mil just got it for me as a gift! I re read it a few times this past Shabbos and looked at all the nice pics. Some of the recipes look like they can take a while to make so I will wate till I have time, maybe a rainy day. I hope I can try a few out b4 Pesach but don't know how realistic that will be. If anyone has tried anything let us know how it came out and if it was easy or hard to make. I find usually thefirst time I make something it takes a while bec I am not used to the recipe.

Chanie

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 12:45 pm
I don't have this one yet (my hubby said he'll buy it for me soon) but I have the "Kosher by Design" and love it. very elaborate dishes do not take as long as I'd expect. This past Purim I made the Teriyaki Salmon, the chicken Nekemaki with Red pepper chutnry and the green beans with crispy shallots... all of it came out fabulous. I've made at least half the recipes in that book so I cannot wait to try this.
I believe prsentation rates high in appreciation of food, and these books make it possible to acheive that.
(the only recipe that I so far did not like at all from the book was the sweet potato kreplach... )

hindyandrafi

Post Fri, Apr 01 2005, 2:12 pm
yeah I agree.. some of the recipes are a big patchke.. but yummy...

I made the dalmation cookies for shabbos a few weeks ago and they were a big hit.. kind of tasted like girl scout cookies from way back when...

Also made the chicken with autumn veggies which was amazing.. but right now in my last month pf pregnancy... no more patckeing... its quick and easy all the way ladies!!!!

ac101

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 8:50 pm
I got the cookbook a while ago. I have to say that a few recipes were good, but just as many did not turn out so well. I really prefer epicurious.com since they have a rating and comments by other cooks. I got some great tips that way and the recipes were almost full-proof. Besides, it gives me a chance to show off some recipes for shabbat that most people don't know about.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Aug 24 2005, 9:43 pm
The double chocolate cookies came out good, Mrs. Friedler's Jelly Strips were pretty good too....tonight I made the Salmon Primavera, was not as big a patchke as I thought, especially considering how beautiful it looked (My husband commented, "Wow, what beautiful fish!")...I'm planning to make the Cookie Crunch brownies this Shabbos, will let everyone know.

I didn't like the way the dalmatian cookies came out, I think I might have messed up due to being under pressure of Shabbos coming (new rule in my house: if cookies are not made by Thursday night, dessert is cake or brownies!)

Last edited by Crayon210 on Sun, Jun 29 2008, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total

trafficgal

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 10:24 am
to expensive! I asked my dh to get one of them for me and he said he would after I made every recipe from my other cookbooks Sad

1stimer

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 1:53 pm
trafficgal... are our hubbies related? my dh said the same thing. when I told him I wanted it he said, have you finished the other one first?

Mommy912

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 2:21 pm
I read some of the recipes here from this book and decided to buy it. I brought it home and left it on the table. I come back and see my husband reading it and salivating over the fancy pictures. He turns to me and says "So, is this what we are eating from now on?". I said "No, this is just a storybook of fairy tales!"

Tovah

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 3:05 pm
I have 1 I bought it on amozon,ca for my mother and mil, andmyself it was 30, I don't know if thats cheaper,
I made a few things, but most are too fancy.

Tefila

Post Thu, Aug 25 2005, 3:29 pm
LOL I too must have a collection of cook books but only made approx 10-15 from each one and there must be hundreds I've not yet made Confused

Rivka

Post Sat, Aug 27 2005, 6:08 pm
mommy912, ha ha , that was funny.
My hubby used to like going through the cookbooks and making the stuff.
I tend to make a few things here and there get a few ideas and end up making what I want.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Aug 28 2005, 11:13 am
I found that some of the recipes aren't so difficult.

It's often the ingredients that are hard to find.

PS The Cookie Crunch Brownies were amazing!!

sarahd

Post Mon, Aug 29 2005, 3:48 pm
I'm so glad this thread came up again! A friend bought me the KBD Entertains book last week, but I don't have the first book yet. She gave me a gift receipt so I could exchange it if I want the first one. My question is: do I? (want the first book rather than the second, I mean.) Which one is more worthwhile?

Motek

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 4:29 pm
I don't care much for either one. I got the first one as a gift and spent time looking at the 2nd one.

they're certainly attractive books to LOOK at, but I'm not at all impressed by the recipes, there aren't too many I want to make, too many weird ingredients

saw her do a demo and the point she emphasized was HOW PRETTY it looked (and it was a potato dish)

when I tasted what she made at the demo, it was seriously lacking in seasoning, even basic salt

seems from the pictures and all, that the main point is the presentation and appearance of the food (and the more exotic the ingredients, the more of an impression you can make)

the main thing I'm looking for in recipes is GOOD TASTING FOOD (followed by ease of instructions, obtaining ingredients)

now is this post lashon hara?

is it okay to give a negative review of a cookbook when it can affect sales?

sarahd

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 4:55 pm
I guess it could be called letoeles, since you would be saving someone from spending money on a non-worthwhile book. My question was actually sort of answered by your post. KBD Entertains has lots of recipes with exotic ingredients that I can't get where I live; besides, the stuff looks pretty complicated...and how often do I entertain anyhow? (For entertainment cooking I have the Heimische Kitchen Simcha cookbook anyhow.) I was just wondering whether it was worthwhile putting the book aside and remembering to bring it to NY next time I visit and exchange it.

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 31 2005, 5:14 pm
Sarahd - I would go for the first one. The KBD Entertains has more 'exotic' recipes, while the first one has ones that are more 'do-able' for shabbos and yomtov.

I also went to a cooking demo the author did here as a fundraiser. It was good b/c I saw that while some of the recipes looked complicated, they weren't. She made the Filet Split with Shallot Soy Sauce - the title of which would be enough to put me off. But it is NOT hard, I've made it a number of times and it tastes like a steakhouse steak. YUMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Definately not short on flavor. She also made wontons, the recipe for which I posted in the recipe section here. It is one of my kids favorites. I wouldn't make it every night, but it has become a yomtov (and occasional shabbos) favorite here, and it really isn't hard. It just takes the foresight of putting it in the marinade overnight and then the time of putting them together. My kids love to help put them together, so we make an assembly line out of it. The other thing she made was a purse of pears and chocolate in phillo dough. Not my thing, but it was tasty AND pretty.

I have made one recipe from the KBD Entertains book, but most of them are a bit 'over the top' for me. The one recipe I made was good though!
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics