Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Which of the Fishbein cookbooks is the most useful?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Which of the Fishbein cookbooks is the most useful?
Kosher Palette  
 30%  [ 18 ]
Kosher by Design (2003)  
 23%  [ 14 ]
Kosher by Design Entertains  
 5%  [ 3 ]
Kosher by Design- Kids in the Kitchen  
 15%  [ 9 ]
Kosher by Design- Short On Time  
 25%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 59

momto4

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:09 am
I actually have all of them. I happen to like the koseher by design entertains. its actually not so complicating. I found some recipes that are quick and easy to do. I just got the short on time one and I am still flipping thru it. I found some nice recipes but a lot of them call for ingredients that I dont usually have in the house.

lst

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:12 am
I only have KBD and kosher palette. I use them each only occasionaly for specific reciepes. a lot of the recipes I use just as a base and then change them around for what I like. they have great ideas in them.
I recently looked at the kids in the kitchen one and I love it! I thnk the recipes are great and really easy!

queen

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:14 am
Kosher palette was not put out by fishbein.....

amother

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 9:18 am
queen wrote:
Kosher palette was not put out by fishbein.....
The Kosher Palette
Author: Editors Susie Fishbein and Sandra Blank
http://www.judaicaenterprises......-l172

Nicole

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 12:59 pm
you mean it wasnt put out by artscroll. Susie Fishbein wrote it, though. However (do not be fooled!) she didnt write kosher pallette II!

MMEC123

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:11 pm
I don't find any one more useful over the others. There are 2-3 recipes in each that I like and consider worth the time.

Hannah!

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 1:30 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Esther01

Post Mon, Dec 25 2006, 3:09 pm
I only have short on time and enjoy it very much.

mumof1

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 1:18 pm
I love susie fishbein.
she is so creative.
all her cookbooks are great. kp is the best and then kbd.
I dont find short on time so short.

Mevater

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 1:32 pm
LOL

I own one and I've borrowed friends' SF cookbooks. All I've gotten out of any of the books, is one or two useful recipes, and the pleasure of looking at nice pictures. I have many other more useful ones.

Uh oh- is this LH?

Chayary

Post Wed, Dec 27 2006, 3:24 pm
I have all but Kids cook, and I use them all pretty regularly. KBD-E has the most complicated stuff, although there is definitely still stuff in there that is easy and I make all the time. I voted for KBD, I think I use it the most for main dishes, after that I would say KP, then the other ones. My husband just got me Short on Time, and I've used a couple recipes, but not super impressed. There aren't so many recipes in it, and they aren't all so short on time. And does anyone else think the photography is better in the other ones? Anyway, I love Suzie, and will continue to be a loyal buyer\reader. We also buy them for wedding gifts for people who we know will have all the other stuff they need.

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 9:44 am
I got the cookbook as a gift, and just browsing it, I am not that impressed...

As someone who is more health minded, I find that her recipes use so many processed, unhealthy foods or convenience foods, like nondairy creamer, packaged dressing packets or bottled dressings, etc.

Any of you out there love KBD? Which recipes do you love?

withhumor

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 9:50 am
I’m in love with the pink entertainment version. It gave me a lot of creative ideas to branch off on. I never follow recipes exactly anyway.

The new one, short on time was a real waste of money.

anon

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 11:27 am
KBD has some tasty recipes, but I don't even try many of them because they are so unhealthy. I prefer not to serve my family meals that can be considered desserts.

DefyGravity

Post Fri, Feb 16 2007, 11:36 am
A few of her recipes call for a roux - I just leave that out. One recipe includes nearly two sticks of margarine - for a soup! I cut it all out and it tastes just fine.

My main problem is that a lot of her recipes always call for several ingredients that I don't have (and would only use for that recipe). I'm paging through the cookbook now, and there's a tuna recipe I'd like to try, but I'm not interested in purchasing a bottle of brandy for just one recipe. Same with champagne for a salmon recipe.

Raisin

Post Sat, Feb 17 2007, 12:10 pm
I totally agree...I rarely use her recipes anymore - the really good ones have a heavy relience on sugar, margerine, excessive oil. There are some healthy ones, but you may have to adapt a little.

I also get confused by some of recipes - are they desserts or side dishes?

There is one salmon recipe in the entertain one which is great and healthy - layers of squash zucchini and tomatoe covered with breadcrumbs and dill. You can even serve it cold shabbos day, and it looks really pretty.

Motek

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 8:24 am
I read an interview with her which reinforces the negative feelings I have about the series.

her mission: to put gourmet, high-class kosher cooking into the hands of every cook, an attempt to spark a renaissance in kosher cooking

to me, this is Artscroll promoting "naval b'reshus ha'Torah"

In terms of recipe hunting, Susie leaves no stone unturned. Having mined the best of friends and family members' repertoires, she now works with seasoned chefs to develop novel and creative formulas. She's an avid reader of menus from kosher and non-kosher upscale restaurants. The chefs she invites to her home help her cook up exciting new recipes as she observes and takes notes.

"I'll tell him I want to create a Mexican lasagna, and he'll show me something that he thinks will work. Then I'll take it from there.
"

Who needs a Mexican lasagna? Rolling Eyes

I'm in favor of good cooking. I'm in favor of making special things for Shabbos and Yom Tov.

I don't think we need a renaissance in our cooking.

I wonder about the dozens of cookbooks and heavy emphasis on recipes and menus in frum society even as I look through a cookbook and decide to make something new.

Crayon210

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 8:32 am
Motek wrote:
I read an interview with her which reinforces the negative feelings I have about the series.

her mission: to put gourmet, high-class kosher cooking into the hands of every cook, an attempt to spark a renaissance in kosher cooking

to me, this is Artscroll promoting "naval b'reshus ha'Torah"

I think this is harsh.

I think cooking/baking is a major way that a lot of women express themselves, and this gives women more options than just the typical potato kugel/lukshen kugel/egg salad menu.

As I've said all over this site, I enjoy tens of recipes from her cookbooks, and I don't see why Cookie Crunch brownies or Ravioli in Four Cheese Sauce or Salmon Primavera is naval b'reshus haTorah any more than chocolate chip cookies or macaroni and cheese or fried flounder. Scratching Head

Quote:
"I'll tell him I want to create a Mexican lasagna, and he'll show me something that he thinks will work. Then I'll take it from there."

Who needs a Mexican lasagna? Rolling Eyes

People who like to eat different types of foods...try new things...I'm confused. What's the big deal?

Ruchel

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 8:51 am
Better that than what happened with many "on the edge" people 5 or 10 years ago when good kosher restaurants were rare... they tried the mexican lasagna at the treif Mexican restaurant.

Of course we should rediscover first the Jewish recipes, but it's great that people have an option between frustration and treif!

cookielady

Post Sun, Jun 29 2008, 9:33 am
I enjoy creating new recipes and broadening our horizons as far as what we eat. I dont feel there is anything wrong with this. I want my children to be able to eat a variety of foods, so that where ever they are, they will be able to adapt to whats being served.

I have many cookbooks that are not kosher ones, and I enjoy adapting recipes to make them kosher. Many people (who are not frum) are turned off by "typical jewish food." I would rather show them that being kosher doesnt have to be cholent, kugel and kishka. People are more excited with kashrus if they see that they can still enjoy a variety of foods.

Also with many more people being aware of what they eat, etc. Its important to have recipes that can be prepared in a kosher way that are not full of processed foods, high in fat, high in sodium etc.

Motek, if you want to stick to whats traditional to you, fine, I dont see why someone trying to create some options needs to be put down.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics