Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Things to do in Toronto

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 10:12 pm
I will be in Toronto with my family next week, and I am looking for recommendations of things to do with them that are budget friendly and fun for the 5 little ones ages 2-10.
I can only seem to come up with the really big and expensive trips like marine land and canada's wonderland.
are these worth it? it will cost us like $200 at least just for admission.
and are there any other smaller trips to take that are just as much fun, yet reasonably priced? it doesnt have to be free, but around $20/adult or so should be ok.

Thanks

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 10:14 pm
Centre Island, Ontario Place, Vaughan Mills, Woodbine Center,

amother

Post Thu, Jun 28 2012, 11:25 pm
Thank you! Center island looks like a lot of fun. the 2 shopping malls I dont think my kids will be thrilled with. and ontario place is closed.
any other ideas? I'll be there for a few days.
do you have any recommendations for good kid friendly restaurants that are not too expensive?
I found tov-li which sounds perfect for dairy meals.
any fast food type of fleishig place with a good hashgacha?

Marion

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 1:29 am
What's a "good hashgacha"? There's only one (official) hashgacha in Toronto, which is the COR. [There's also "bedatz" Toronto, most of whose mashgichim used to work with the COR, but I don't know how people consider them.] All COR-certified fleishig restaurants serve only Glatt meat.

Here's the list of restaurants (you also don't say where in the city you'll be):
http://cor.ca/establishments.html

There's the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), Science Centre, if you are thinking of going to Niagara Falls, I'd skip MarineLand and hit the Maid of the Mist and falls instead. Hockey Hall of Fame (if you have any boys). There's a railway museum, Harbourfront, the CN Tower. The city-run pools and splash pads should be open. Metro Toronto Zoo.

Here's the city's Parks & Recreation listing (includes parks, pools, splash pads, special events...)

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/index.htm

And Canada Day (Dominion Day) is Sunday, so if you're in town by then it's a) a long weekend (keep in mind for public transit) and b) there will be a lot more freebie events, firecrackers, etc...

Gerbera

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 7:36 am
Howie T's has meat fast food - $2.99 for a basic burger. If you go before the dinner rush there are tables and chairs to eat in if you want. If you are in Thornhill there is Burgy's also for hamburgers/hotdogs - they have more seating. Joe Boo's has a basic burger also for $2.99 but the other stuff there is more costly. There are 2 places that serve laffa and shwarma, etc - they have kid meals reasonably priced. One is Ba-Li Laffa and one is Dr. Laffa.

I also recommend the splash pads - they have a whole bunch up in Thornhill as well as in the city of Toronto - free and a lot of fun!

Centre Island can add up - there's the ferry plus the rides are not cheap at all - but there is a splash pad there and a beach and the ferry ride alone is fun too.

Regarding Woodbine Centre - yes, it is a mall - but it has an indoor amusement park in it. That's really the main attraction there - Fantasy Fair.
http://www.fantasyfair.ca/

There are some great indoor playgrounds if it is raining or gets too hot out.

I'm not sure when you are planning on coming but the Entertainment books are now only $9.99- I would buy one as there are a lot of valuable coupons you can use such as free admission or buy 1 get 1, etc. You will definitely save more than the $10 if you plan on going to any attractions.

If you're up for a drive there is African Lion Safari.
www.lionsafari.com/

2.5 hours away is Storybook Gardens
http://www.storybook.london.ca/

Theres the Jewish Discovery Museum - I've never been so cant add much commentary about it
http://www.jewishtorontoonline.....=2235

this is a great website with stuff for kids in the city:
http://www.toronto4kids.com/

go to the attractions ontario website to print coupons!

SJcookie

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 8:50 am
There's a great ceramic-painting place called Glaze Craze

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 9:31 am
Glaze Craze takes a week to get back stuff so I would not. ROM is fantastic! My kids loved it. Hockey Hall of Fame is fun even if you are so into hockey because some of it is very interactive and you are downtown near Eaton Centre. Niagara Falls is a blast -- you can also do Butterfly World and there is a miniature golf course located in one of the parks (we stumbled upon it on line a few years ago -- very small but has great totem poles to explore). Whatever you do, skip marine land!! It has gotten horrible reviews, it is huge but with very little to see/do, and it is supposed to be filthy. Do Maid of the Mist and Behind the Falls and just walk around. There used to be a kosher hot dog stand near the falls. A little north of Toronto is the McMichael Art Museum which is a good size, nice art, and has a kids area to play in if they get bored. Also, nice hiking in the area around the museum.

wifey

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 11:50 am
If your kids are into animals there is Riverdale Farm (towards downtown) or Lionel's Farm (north - in Stouville). We like Lionel's Farm better - bring your own fruits and veggies and feed the animals. And no admission. If you're willing to pay admission and want to make a day out of it the Toronto Zoo has a kids zoo and a splash pad in addition to the normal zoo activities.

Splash pads are aweosme.

If you are willing to drive on Sunday there is a free Uncle Moishy concert about 90 mins north of Toronto.

Check out Harborfront - I'm sure they are having stuff for the long weekend.

If you give us more info on north/south I am happy to give you more info on places to eat and things to do.

amother

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 12:20 pm
Wow. This is awesome. You've given me lots of ideas.
We'll be staying in a hotel near the airport area but are willing to drive to the bathurst st area where the restaurants are.
For attractions I think less than an hr drive would be good.
Is the toronto zoo under an hr?
Science center and hockey hall of fame sound good.
Where do I get that coupon book?
What is ROM like? A museum of what exactly? I couldnt get a good feel for it from their site.
Thanks so much!

amother

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 12:49 pm
Remember there is a minhag that ROM and Science Center are off limits if you are bringing boy cohanim (and possibly if a mom is pregnant and carrying a boy).

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 1:26 pm
ROM has dinosaurs, Egyptian, First Nations, animals, minerals (love those!!), Far Eastern art. Something for all. We also loved the zoo but if you go pay for the train ride around as walking is extensive. The shlep up to the Americas section is exhausting.

wifey

Post Fri, Jun 29 2012, 2:05 pm
[quote="amother"]Wow. This is awesome. You've given me lots of ideas.
We'll be staying in a hotel near the airport area but are willing to drive to the bathurst st area where the restaurants are.
For attractions I think less than an hr drive would be good.
Is the toronto zoo under an hr?
Science center and hockey hall of fame sound good.
Where do I get that coupon book?
What is ROM like? A museum of what exactly? I couldnt get a good feel for it from their site.
Thanks so much![/quote]

Toronto Zoo should be under an hour if you're staying in the airport area - just take the 401 East to Meadowvale Rd. and you will see signs. A tip is to go to the right of the carousel for the kids zoo and splash pad. From there there is 1 big path that leads up to the elephants, girafes etc. We don't find a train ride is necessary as long as you're willing to do some walking. Get a map at the entrance and plot out what you want to see and you should be fine.

Definitely check out Dr. Laffa - its awesome. But they do have some rules (e.g. you can only sit a the bar, not the table after I think like 4pm if you're only eating sandwiches).

Here is a link to print some coupons: http://attractionsontario.ca/I.....ID=19
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics