Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Please take a break to vote before Shabbos!
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Hashemlovesme

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 11:04 am
F

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 12:48 pm
I tried to vote but there was no way to do it without Facebook.

myself

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 1:08 pm
F.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 1:27 pm
I had already voted for someone else and I didn't think I could vote twice.

tsiggelle

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 2:42 pm
I will tell you why I didnt vote, and its nothing personally about you,

I tried doing that once or twice, voting for someone via a link that was posted on an online forum, and it was just too irritating for me. especially since that one wasnt a direct link to their vote page.

I hope your organisation gets the help you need.

I appologise for not giving you my vote. I basically dont vote anymore online

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:28 pm
amother wrote:
I had already voted for someone else and I didn't think I could vote twice.

I did say in my original post that you could vote for as many businesses as you want, that I just needed a certain number of votes just to get my essays read in the next phase of the competition. Votes do not determine the winner; they only show a certain amount of community support to qualify businesses for the next round.

Oh well.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:32 pm
tsiggelle wrote:
I will tell you why I didnt vote, and its nothing personally about you,

I tried doing that once or twice, voting for someone via a link that was posted on an online forum, and it was just too irritating for me. especially since that one wasnt a direct link to their vote page.

I hope your organisation gets the help you need.

I appologise for not giving you my vote. I basically dont vote anymore online

It is frustrating that the organizations who run these contests don't make it even easier - but on the other hand, the entire voting process takes less than one minute, including signing in.

I know it's easy for people to get kind of numb to these kinds of requests, but there are real people on the other end, hoping for support that can make all the difference! And it's such an easy favor to do, one that costs nothing at all. So that is frustrating on my end.

Of course, if you don't like to vote for anything, that's your prerogative. I do understand that there are many requests like mine.

Could be if I made the request under my screen name I would have gotten a lot more support, since I'm a frequent poster here. But although some people do know who I am here, and others can easily guess, I'm sure, I just didn't want to take the step of losing the anonymity of my screen name completely.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 7:33 pm
And yes, it's annoying that voting has to be through Facebook - it's clear that many people here don't use it! (Until recently, neither did I, so I understand.)

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 8:47 pm
amother wrote:
I tried to vote but there was no way to do it without Facebook.

Thank you for trying! And to others who also tried, thank you.

de_goldy

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 8:59 pm
D.

amother

Post Sun, Jul 01 2012, 9:08 pm
de_goldy wrote:
D.

Well, at least you're honest! Smile If you had never heard of Natural Jewish Parenting, read it, etc., I guess there wouldn't be much reason to care one way or the other. I still would have appreciated the favor, but I do understand.

Strawberry2

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 12:19 am
f - No facebook account
SOrry

amother

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 5:42 am
I'm hearing that a lot of people may have helped if they had Facebook! I really wish these competitions would offer an alternative way to vote...!

Chana Miriam S

Post Mon, Jul 02 2012, 11:59 pm
amother wrote:
To all who voted, thank you. In the end I was 100 votes short of the goal and will not be moving on to the next phase (essay judging). It's frustrating because something like 150 people viewed my post here, and if everyone or most people who saw it had voted, that would have accomplished all I needed. Voting was free, took just a minute, and you could vote for as many businesses as you wanted to... so voting for me wouldn't have negatively impacted anyone else.

So I'd like to ask, if you read my request and did not vote, what was your reason?

A. Just figured everyone else would vote so why bother.
B. Have something against Natural Jewish Parenting and would not like to see it succeed.
C. Meant to but never got around to it.
D. Really just didn't care so didn't do anything.
E. Other....?

Not an official poll, obviously, but I am curious why it's so hard to get people to take a small action that would help someone.

I did not see the post but it I had, I would not have bothered. Primarily because you posted as another but also because these things always end up spamming me.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 5:40 am
chanamiriam wrote:
amother wrote:
To all who voted, thank you. In the end I was 100 votes short of the goal and will not be moving on to the next phase (essay judging). It's frustrating because something like 150 people viewed my post here, and if everyone or most people who saw it had voted, that would have accomplished all I needed. Voting was free, took just a minute, and you could vote for as many businesses as you wanted to... so voting for me wouldn't have negatively impacted anyone else.

So I'd like to ask, if you read my request and did not vote, what was your reason?

A. Just figured everyone else would vote so why bother.
B. Have something against Natural Jewish Parenting and would not like to see it succeed.
C. Meant to but never got around to it.
D. Really just didn't care so didn't do anything.
E. Other....?

Not an official poll, obviously, but I am curious why it's so hard to get people to take a small action that would help someone.

I did not see the post but it I had, I would not have bothered. Primarily because you posted as another but also because these things always end up spamming me.

OK. But see my post earlier - I am LESS anonymous on this thread than when I use my screenname. Smile Here I am a real, specific person - quite easy to know who I am! So I don't totally understand why my use of amother here would be a factor, honestly. But as you said, you didn't see the post, so I guess you didn't realize how non-anonymous I am.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 5:41 am
Also, I don't see how they could spam you if you don't even use your e-mail address to log in and vote - just your Facebook login. Does logging in with Facebook generally cause spam? I haven't heard of that, but maybe others have different experiences.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 5:43 am
Strawberry2 wrote:
f - No facebook account
SOrry

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 5:51 am
being less anonymous because you are amother seems assinine to me. I have NO idea who you are. you asked and I answered.

my husband is a chief strategist in charge of both conventional and digital strategy as well as technology at a very high powered advertising agency. I know how these things work and rarely can you participate in them without separately adding personal information. its the whole point of contests. the votes mean nothing without further information gained.

further, you would not believe the nudnikim who spend their time spamming contests. his staff spends hours a day weeding through legit and non legit contests on facebook.

I am sorry you don't like my answer but you asked and it is what it is, like it or not. and I did not see your post prior to shabbat anyways, as I said.

I don't exactly know what natural parenting is but speaking as a long term nurser, attachment oriented parent, I can say that I consider the whole area of discussion very open to interpretation, and subjective. maybe I will go back and read your essay if it is still up. good luck in what you do in any case.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 6:24 am
chanamiriam wrote:
being less anonymous because you are amother seems assinine to me. I have NO idea who you are. you asked and I answered.

my husband is a chief strategist in charge of both conventional and digital strategy as well as technology at a very high powered advertising agency. I know how these things work and rarely can you participate in them without separately adding personal information. its the whole point of contests. the votes mean nothing without further information gained.

further, you would not believe the nudnikim who spend their time spamming contests. his staff spends hours a day weeding through legit and non legit contests on facebook.

I am sorry you don't like my answer but you asked and it is what it is, like it or not. and I did not see your post prior to shabbat anyways, as I said.

I don't exactly know what natural parenting is but speaking as a long term nurser, attachment oriented parent, I can say that I consider the whole area of discussion very open to interpretation, and subjective. maybe I will go back and read your essay if it is still up. good luck in what you do in any case.

Hi ChanaMiriam,

Thanks for your honesty - really!

I really can't comment on contests in general, etc. This one provided the opportunity for small businesses to get huge grants that could really make a difference to their futures. I certainly would have loved the opportunity to reach the judging phase. But I can't argue with you if you just plain don't like or trust such competitions.

I'm not anonymous because anyone who looks up Natural Jewish Parenting will see exactly who I am. You can look up my site or my Facebook page if you'd like - there I am. Smile

And having published NJP since 1996 (in print for many years, and now online, and soon back to print IY"H), of course I agree with you that what attachment/natural parenting is will look different for every family. Not sure what any of that has to do with this thread, though... Smile

Finally, unfortunately my essays will not be viewable by the public. However, if you want to contact me through my site or Facebook, I would be happy to share them with you directly so you will understand more about where I'm coming from!

Chana Miriam S

Post Tue, Jul 03 2012, 6:36 am
hey, if nothing else, you raised my awareness about your site. kol hakavod lach. you obviously work very hard at your business and provide an excellent support mechanism!

I will be happy to read your essay. I am also an excellent proof reader should you ever need one.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics