Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Making Supper
Previous  1  2

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 7:37 am
I use fleishig keilim because I haven't yet toiveled my big milchig pots. Smile

I once had a really good tomato soup with rice and ground beef in it. I wish I knew how to make it but every recipe I find isn't what I'm looking for.

Basya

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 7:45 am
I get home the same time as DH right now, so, I make supper the night before. And every morning I put soup in the crock pot so there is something hot and ready to eat as soon as we come home. DH loves soup so it really works out and fills him up till the supper is heated up. Also, it eliminates the need of a side dish- for example, last night we had sweet potato soup (that I pulled out of the freezer that I had made on sunday) and then we had meat loaf and salad. Usually one pot of soup makes enough for 3 suppers.
I make
vegetable soup
potato soup
zuchinni soup
tomato cabbage soup
minestrone soup
split pea soup
sweet potato soup
cream of chicken soup

they are so easy to make- I love my hand blender!
Then I just make a main dish the night before - right after supper, monday fish, tuesday chicken, wednesday meat, thursday is either frozen pizza or eggs, and sunday is leftovers from shabbos.

And I have salad with every meal- just bagged lettuce with some dressing either out of the bottle or mayo, vinegar and sugar.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 8:45 am
I think it's the yetzer horah telling you that you can only make a big pot of soup, gr.

that tomato one, for example, is easy enought to make fresh, and eat it all that day or within a few days. and you don't need a big pot for it!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 8:49 am
Basya wrote:
I get home the same time as DH right now, so, I make supper the night before. And every morning I put soup in the crock pot so there is something hot and ready to eat as soon as we come home. DH loves soup so it really works out and fills him up till the supper is heated up. Also, it eliminates the need of a side dish- for example, last night we had sweet potato soup (that I pulled out of the freezer that I had made on sunday) and then we had meat loaf and salad. Usually one pot of soup makes enough for 3 suppers.
I make
vegetable soup
potato soup
zuchinni soup
tomato cabbage soup
minestrone soup
split pea soup
sweet potato soup
cream of chicken soup

Then I just make a main dish the night before - right after supper, monday fish, tuesday chicken, wednesday meat, thursday is either frozen pizza or eggs, and sunday is leftovers from shabbos.

And I have salad with every meal- just bagged lettuce with some dressing either out of the bottle or mayo, vinegar and sugar.

How do you do it? You put the soup in the crock pot in the morning on low? The soup is cooked already? If it ends up being that you are out for 8 hours, and the soup is on low the whole time - that's ok?

bonzie

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 9:01 am
Basya wrote:
I make
vegetable soup
potato soup
zuchinni soup
tomato cabbage soup
minestrone soup
split pea soup
sweet potato soup
cream of chicken soup

I do the same sort of thing, I make one big soup in the begining for the week that usually lasts the whole week, and I wash a huge head of lettuce and cut up two red peppers, I put both in separate bags, and use it for salads throughout the week, then its just a main dish to do e/ night, it makes things so easy e/ if ur making a hard main dish that all ur doing so it makes life so much simplier!

gryp

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 9:11 am
Quote:
I think it's the yetzer horah telling you that you can only make a big pot of soup, gr.

Rolling Laughter
oy vey! I hope not!

I think it's just what I'm used to seeing since I grew up in a big family. I don't see the point of making a small soup where everyone has one bowl and it's finished. I like to make giant soups that last 3-4 days, then if anyone's hungry I don't have to worry about it. They can just help themselves to a bowl (or three Smile ) of soup.

The only ones I really make now are chicken, butternut squash, and mushroom. I need to add to my repertoire!

shoy18

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 9:23 am
GR wrote:
Quote:

Rolling Laughter
oy vey! I hope not!

I think it's just what I'm used to seeing since I grew up in a big family. I don't see the point of making a small soup where everyone has one bowl and it's finished. I like to make giant soups that last 3-4 days, then if anyone's hungry I don't have to worry about it. They can just help themselves to a bowl (or three Smile ) of soup.

The only ones I really make now are chicken, butternut squash, and mushroom. I need to add to my repertoire!

I agree with you GR I can't justify making one small pot of soup, I have to make alot, especially for shabbos, why not just make a huge pot so you wont have to do it every week

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 9:39 am
Usually, yes. Soups improve with age and as long as you're doing the work, you may as well get maximum benefit.

But this one does not improve with age, and being that it's dairy, has a limited life anyway.

It's not the type of soup that has to cook for hours, so you can just heat and serve.

Basya

Post Thu, Dec 28 2006, 9:51 am
Quote:
How do you do it? You put the soup in the crock pot in the morning on low? The soup is cooked already? If it ends up being that you are out for 8 hours, and the soup is on low the whole time - that's ok?

The more it is cooked I find that the better it tastes! It never burns with the dial on low. Each time I reheat the soup, it tastes better!

anuta

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 6:01 pm
basya, can you please share your soup recipes?

melalyse

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 7:40 pm
I like to cook a lot of shabbos and then have leftovers for sunday, monday and tuesday.

raizy

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 9:49 pm
gr I used to cook huge pots of soups like u I was used to cooking big. I come from a big family. but now I cut down in my size I cook everything half. it was a problem when I was newly married. I cooked too much. and then we ate leftover the next two days. etc. now I cook for one or two days max. pple get tired of the same thing over and over. kids like a change every day.

baseballmom

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 9:58 pm
I highly recommend making a menu for the whole month. Then you can just repeat it each month. thisi way you can be sure you won't be making the same things each week, you can shop for ingredients when they are on sale etc, and you have a little more meuchas hanefesh (tranquility)

PS- even if you don't fully stick to the menu, just having it is so helpful

mumof1

Post Tue, Feb 27 2007, 11:14 pm
I make a lot of side dishes and freeze them. I freeze mashed potatoes, cabbage and noodles, eggplant roll ups, ziti etc.
I also keep kishka logs in the freezer I stuff it under the chicken skin for quick and easy main dish.
I freeze all my soups.
I keep onion rings, fries, breaded schnitzel, cold cuts, burgers and hot dogs in the freezer.
all my dressings are prep. in the fridge.
I do all my cooking on sunday for the week.
I find the best key is to be well stocked and have all on hand.
it makes dinners a breeze.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics