Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Isreal attractions...
1  2  Next

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 3:40 pm
Hi.
Can anyone tell me about places in Israel that are fun and interesting for adults to visit other than the regular tourist attractions like kotel, kever rochel, meron, tzfas, tveria, Eilat, etc.?

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 4:59 pm
I was there in June we went to the beach in Netanya. Paragliding in Netanya. ATV in golan - in Kfar Yoval. Kayaking on the Jordan. Swimming in the Kinneret. The water tunnel at Ir Dovid. Rosh Hanikrah.

peppermint

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 5:59 pm
I never did this but my friend went on a tour of Shechem and gush katiff. If you are interested I can ask her for the info.

you can go to the blind/ deaf museum. There was a post about that a few weeks ago.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
I was there in June we went to the beach in Netanya. Paragliding in Netanya. ATV in golan - in Kfar Yoval. Kayaking on the Jordan. Swimming in the Kinneret. The water tunnel at Ir Dovid. Rosh Hanikrah.

Thanks for your reply.

I was never in Israel so I have a few questions to ask.

First, the places you mentioned, are they in Eilat? I heard that all the fun stuff are in Eilat. I don't know if that's true. We are not planning on visiting Eilat so this is important.

Second, the stuff you mentioned sound amazing. How did you know to do that? Is there a brochure or place to find out about it?

Third, my husband heard that the secular society in Israel are always looking out for the chreidim. He doesn't want to do anything that will appear wrong in their eyes. How does that work with swimming and beaches? Did you visit any beaches?

I really appreciate any information I can get.

amother

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 10:04 pm
peppermint wrote:
I never did this but my friend went on a tour of Shechem and gush katiff. If you are interested I can ask her for the info.

you can go to the blind/ deaf museum. There was a post about that a few weeks ago.

We are renting a car and do not want to go on tours. We want to do things on our own.

Juicy

Post Tue, Jul 10 2012, 11:54 pm
Minara in the Tiveria area is fun!! Has alpine slide & chairlift there. There's also a penguin park a couple of minutes from there, you can rent from single bikes to family bikes & follow a path to observe the penguins.

DrMom

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 12:36 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

First, the places you mentioned, are they in Eilat? I heard that all the fun stuff are in Eilat. I don't know if that's true. We are not planning on visiting Eilat so this is important.

Second, the stuff you mentioned sound amazing. How did you know to do that? Is there a brochure or place to find out about it?

Third, my husband heard that the secular society in Israel are always looking out for the chreidim. He doesn't want to do anything that will appear wrong in their eyes. How does that work with swimming and beaches? Did you visit any beaches?

No, those things are not in Eilat.

I recommend getting a general guide book (Frommer's, Fodor's, etc.) with a map of Israel so you can familiarize yourself with the main cities, geography, etc. It will also give you ideas for attractions.

In addition to the suggestions above, I would suggest Dig For a Day in Beit Guvrin, or the Sifting project in Jerusalem. These are great for adults as well as children.

As for Eilat: When are you going? Keep in mind that in summer it is >100ºF there.

rovacat

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 3:47 am
You definitely dont have to go to eilat to do fun things!! theres months worth of tours hikes and attractions before you even go near eilat. Plus the summ is mot the time to go there. As for beaches in the summer- most beaches are packed so its not ideal for a frum coupl.everu citu has a separate beach wjich usually has separate days for men and women. I found the beach in netanya rightnext to the sans chassidish neigjborhood nice. Bec its in a frum neighborhood weve managed to go there as a family and it was basically appropriate. You can also find isolated spots in the dead sea. Enkoy your trip!!

abound

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 6:39 am
Penguin Park sounds like fun! We will be in Teveriah for a week in August (crazy time- right Smile ) Can you tell me more about it. (I am going with children ranging from 3 months to 9 years old)
TIA

abound

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 6:42 am
peppermint wrote:

Huh!?! How many years ago was that?

Liba

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 7:41 am
It totally pains me to read Kever Rochel, the Kosel, Meron and other makomos kedoshim called tourist attractions.

rovacat

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 7:42 am
abound wrote:
peppermint wrote:

Huh!?! How many years ago was that?

I was wondering tge same thing. I wouldnt rrcommend going to shchem or gush katif these days. You can do a tour of the shomron and binyamin areas to see the settlements though.

libramom

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:51 am
the bullet factory museum is very interesting
so is the blind and deaf museum

amother

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:59 am
amother wrote:
amother wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Basically I knew what I wanted to do and did some web searches or looked through the coupon book at the hotel. There is a very good tour guide (book) that they sell in the local Jewish book stores that might be of help to you. All places are kosher for chareidim and they are not close to Eilat at all.

The beach in Netanya is kosher - they have separate morning and afternoon hours for men and woman. The paragliding I got a number off the web - I did a search paragliding Netanya. The ATV we used www.trakfar.com 050 540 5454 we had a 20% coupon (I think you can also get the coupon in the guide above) we did a combo together with the kayaking. The kayaking was at Dag AL Hadan - we did the 2 hour trip.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:29 am
Liba wrote:
It totally pains me to read Kever Rochel, the Kosel, Meron and other makomos kedoshim called tourist attractions.

Why? Whichever way you twist or turn it, for somebody coming in from another country, those are attractions that they don't want to miss. What attracts tourists are places that they cannot visit in their country of origin. The term "tourist attractions" doesn't take away from the holiness of the place for us as yidden.

So we definetly want to visit those holy places, but we want to have fun too- which is why I posted this question originally.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:30 am
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I will most definetly look into all suggestions. I'm so excited to visit Israel. It feels like a dream come true!

Liba

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:39 am
amother wrote:
Liba wrote:

Why? Whichever way you twist or turn it, for somebody coming in from another country, those are attractions that they don't want to miss. What attracts tourists are places that they cannot visit in their country of origin. The term "tourist attractions" doesn't take away from the holiness of the place for us as yidden.

So we definetly want to visit those holy places, but we want to have fun too- which is why I posted this question originally.

Makamos kedoshim are places Jews yearn to go to, not as tourists but as Jews.

Tourist attractions are kitschy, exciting places to go to, snap pictures of and say "I was there". Tourist attractions aren't places the locals frequent if they can avoid it.

Makomos kedoshim are places frum people visit or yearn to visit to daven at, even if we live next door or were there yesterday.

http://dictionary.cambridge.or.....ction
Quote:
tourist attraction
noun [C] TRANSPORT, COMMERCE

Definition
› a place that people visit for pleasure and interest, usually while they are on holiday:

I don't visit makamos kedoshim for pleasure or interest. I visit them for the spiritual connection and to daven and they certainly aren't there just for people on holiday.

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 12:04 pm
Jeeping in Midbar Yehuda with a good tour guide who will explain what you're seeing.

freidasima

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 12:12 pm
Go kayaking in kfar Blum up north, rafting in the upper Jordan river, the Paleolithic museum up north, the chairlift at kibbutz manara, Canada center in metula, the Jewish legion museum near Netanya, best hatefutzot and the palmach museum in tel aviv, the alpaca farm near mitzpeh Ramon, the motor park at kibbutz nachshonim, the egged museum in holon, , the Davidson center in the old city, the Baha'I gardens in Haifa, the Golan wineries, etc.

sequoia

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 12:13 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply. I will most definetly look into all suggestions. I'm so excited to visit Israel. It feels like a dream come true!

Enjoy and have a great time! It's so exciting.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions