Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Rebbetzin Kanievsky's Challah recipe
1  2  3  Next

sheindl

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 6:59 pm
The new Artscroll Biography of Rebbetzin Batsheva Kanievsky had a challah recipe in the back. I lent my copy out, but forgot to copy the recipe down! Can someone please post it? TIA!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 7:11 pm
FYI it is also in the Bais Yaakov cookbook (they have converted it to US measurements in a quantity sufficient to mafrish challah). I don't have it here right now, but I'll try to post it later for you. It is a water challah recipe.

sheindl

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:30 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
FYI it is also in the Bais Yaakov cookbook (they have converted it to US measurements in a quantity sufficient to mafrish challah). I don't have it here right now, but I'll try to post it later for you. It is a water challah recipe.

That would be great! Her Challah recipe is the best- egg or water- recipe that I have ever made!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 8:58 pm
Here you go:

5 c. war water
1¼ c. sugar
4 tbsp. dry yeast
5 lb. flour
1¼ c. oil
1½ tbsp. salt
1 egg, beaten

Place water, yeast & sugar in mixer. Let sit 7 minutes until bubbly. With mixer on low, add oil & salt. Slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix on low while adding flour for about 10 minutes.

Remove dough from mixer and place in lg. bowl. Cover with towel and let rise in warm place for 1 hour.

Greast 5-6 loaf pans. Take challah with a bracha. Braid and place in greased pans. Let rise another hour. Preheat oven to 350. Brush challas with egg and bake 45 minutes.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:04 pm
Rebb Kanievsky had a 5 lb challah recipe? Or a 2 kilo flour recipe?

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:08 pm
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Rebb Kanievsky had a 5 lb challah recipe? Or a 2 kilo flour recipe?

The Bais Yaakov cookbook says they converted her recipe to US measurements and multiplied it by 2½ times which yields this 5 lb. recipe.

If you want her original recipe written in Hebrew, I will type it and post here. Let me know. It is a small recipe.

sheindl

Post Wed, Jul 11 2012, 9:15 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Here you go:

5 c. war water
1¼ c. sugar
4 tbsp. dry yeast
5 lb. flour
1¼ c. oil
1½ tbsp. salt
1 egg, beaten

Place water, yeast & sugar in mixer. Let sit 7 minutes until bubbly. With mixer on low, add oil & salt. Slowly add flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix on low while adding flour for about 10 minutes.

Remove dough from mixer and place in lg. bowl. Cover with towel and let rise in warm place for 1 hour.

Greast 5-6 loaf pans. Take challah with a bracha. Braid and place in greased pans. Let rise another hour. Preheat oven to 350. Brush challas with egg and bake 45 minutes.

Do you think I could make the dough and let it rise overnight in the fridge?

Just as a side, isn't it ironic that the BY cookbook's directions involve a mixer, when Rebbetzin Kanievsky never had one? The artscroll book has the exact recipe she used, unedited, and the amount is fine with American ingredients. I wonder why the BY cookbook felt they needed to play with the amounts.

smss

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 2:50 am
sheindl wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:
Here you go:

5 c. war water
1¼ c. sugar
4 tbsp. dry yeast
5 lb. flour
1¼ c. oil
1½ tbsp. salt
1 egg, beaten

Do you think I could make the dough and let it rise overnight in the fridge?

Just as a side, isn't it ironic that the BY cookbook's directions involve a mixer, when Rebbetzin Kanievsky never had one? The artscroll book has the exact recipe she used, unedited, and the amount is fine with American ingredients. I wonder why the BY cookbook felt they needed to play with the amounts.

They wrote that she told them to change the amounts to be enough to be mafrish with a bracha - that that's what she does.

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 10:54 am
If anyone is interested, I can type the exact Hebrew (a photo of it is in the Bais Yaakov Cookbook) text of the recipe.

The cookbook states that she asked them to convert the amounts from what she wrote to be a large enough recipe to be mafrish challah with a bracha.

solo

Post Thu, Jul 12 2012, 11:27 pm
Tx for posting. I just tried the recipe. The Dough was very easy to work with and had lots of bubbles. Although it did seem a bit tough. The chalahs look beautiful

piegirl

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 2:09 am
can you post the kilo one?

smss

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 3:30 am
1 kilo flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 Tbsp. salt
.5 liter water (I think that's about 2 cups)
2 Tbsp. dry yeast or a package of Shmarit or 50 grams shmarim regilim

piegirl

Post Fri, Jul 13 2012, 4:22 am
thank you!

AZmom09

Post Thu, Sep 20 2012, 10:11 am
I made the recipe thats in the biography, b.c it called for 3 kilo so it was easy to do that here in israel...
Anyway at first for me the dough was dry and my mixer didnt mix it well so I took it out and kneaded it, didnt mix in all the flour (maybe a cup less or so) also added a splash of oil to get it wet again. But after a lot of mixing (which gave me a lot of time to daven Smile ) the dough really came together. I was kind of in a rush so I let it rise less than it said but it still got really big. It made a ton of nice size challahs and I made 10 onion rolls too! ( 2 chopped up onions, some marg, salt , and 1 egg- made small pizza shape and put filling in, then brought corners together and made into a roll shape with seam side down) I then let them rise again maybe 30 mins or so and baked.
I tasted an onion roll and its really really good!!
Ganna freeze a lot of challah and use some for erev YK meal so thats good.
Anyway, its a great recipe.

ThankYouHashem

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 1:54 am
I know this is an old thread, but im making Reb Kanievsky's challah now...
wanted to know does the egg go in the dough or is it just for the wash?

September June

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 1:56 am
It's for the wash.

ThankYouHashem

Post Fri, Jul 26 2013, 1:57 am
September June, thanks so much for responding so quickly!!!

wispalover

Post Sat, Jul 27 2013, 5:18 pm
smss wrote:
1 kilo flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup oil
1 Tbsp. salt
.5 liter water (I think that's about 2 cups)
2 Tbsp. dry yeast or a package of Shmarit or 50 grams shmarim regilim

are you sure it is1 tbsp? A "capit" is a teaspoon I thought? also, if the recipe has been multiplied by 2.5 then how can the recipe after is has been doubled + change be 1 and a quarter tablespoons?

rena18

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 1:53 am
The recipe from Reb Kanievsky's daughter Brachah Braverman, in the Artscroll Biography of Reb Kanievsky is as follows

DOUGH
6 1/3 cups (1 1/2 liters) warm water- divided
5 Tablespoons dry yeast
6 1/2 - 6 3/4 pounds (3 kilo) flour
2 Tablespoons table salt ( if using kosher salt: use 3 1/2 Tablespoons)
1 1/2 cups sugar -divided
1 1/2 cups oil

EGG WASH
1 egg
sesame seeds

Mevater

Post Fri, Apr 25 2014, 8:07 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Here you go:

5 c. war water
1¼ c. sugar
4 tbsp. dry yeast
5 lb. flour
1¼ c. oil
1½ tbsp. salt
1 egg, beaten

I wanted to try the Chic Made Simple Challah recipe today but I dont have the complete recipe. Now Im considering this one.

1- How does this recipe come out for anyone who tried it?

2- If I like an egg challah, can I add egg without ruining the recipe?

TIA
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads