Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Rebbetzin Kanievsky's Challah recipe
Previous  1  2  3

cbg

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:04 pm
cbsp wrote:
Lightbulb moment! Not worthy

Is there a dry yeast standard? It's much easier to get dry yeast here than fresh...

The recipe says how much yeast to use

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:15 pm
zaq wrote:
Thanks, OOTBubby. That makes sense. Kapot shtuchot means level tablespoons and kaf melach means one tablespoon. There is no "kapit" measure here. The reason why the doubled (more or less) recipe calls for only 1-1/2 T. salt is that when one doubles a recipe, one usually increases the salt by only half. There must (mustn't there?) be a "kitchen-science" reason for this but my sourcebook doesn't mention it.

Too much salt will kill off the yeast, or at least slow it way down.

Mark Bittman's "No Knead Bread" only calls for 1/4 teaspoon of salt, for 2 large loaves of bread.

The "James Beard Bread Book" explains a lot of bread backing science and tips. It's a classic that every kitchen should have!

(I'm trying to eliminate wheat from my diet. Why am I even on this thread? Banging head )

cbsp

Post Mon, Sep 14 2020, 7:51 pm
cbg wrote:
The recipe says how much yeast to use

I realize that this specific recipe does include a measurement for dry yeast.

She was talking about a "standard" that should be true across all recipes for fresh yeast, I was wondering what the equivalent for dry would be.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads