Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Which makeup counter should I go to to get my makeup done?
1  2  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 11:07 pm
I rarely wear makeup, and when I do, it's just lipstick and maybe eyeliner that runs within an hour. I am NOT one of those natural beauties, I have to admit I don't look all that great. I have acne scars, uneven skin tone, and dark circles under my eyes. My mother never wore makeup so I never had anyone to show me what to do, whatever makeup I've bought in the past has been random makeup from Target that never looked very good because I have no idea what I'm doing. Anyway so I have a big event coming up in a few weeks and was thinking that I should really have one of those department store makeup artists show me what to do. I would feel so much better about myself if I looked a little better.

So the question is, which makeup do you recommend for someone who wants a very light, natural look, and whose skin breaks out easily? And, are there tips you have for what to tell the lady, things like that? I'm feeling nervous about this. Also, how much are you supposed to spend on products afterward? And are you supposed to tip?

Thank you so much, I am clueless about this!

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Jul 19 2012, 11:13 pm
You know you're going to get a different answer from every person who responds, right? Wink

My favorites brand of good quality, affordable dept store cosmetics is lancome. The products I buy from lancome go on easily, and make a huge difference in a subtle way.

I would scope out the people working the counters first, though, because obviously each location has different people with varying styles and skills.

milchigs

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 1:23 am
Yes, Lancome can provide you with a very natural, smooth look.

I also find that Bobbi Brown would be a good choice as her products are high quality, long lasting, and all-around satisfactory. However, they are a bit more to the pricey side Confused

When you go, make sure to mention your skin type so that the person at the counter will know to only concentrate on things that will be good for your skin and not trigger a reaction. Ask for foundation and other products that are oil free and light or give you coverage if you need it.

Only sit down in the chair if you feel that you are 100% comfortable with the salesperson because she/he will be standing reeeeeally close to your face for a little while Wink it also helps if they are patient and flexible as you are new at this and need guidance, and the last thing you need is to feel pressured to be finished quickly or buy a million products or pretend that you understand what they are saying when you don't. So that is definitely another important thing to keep in mind.

Be honest with yourself, too. Don't spring for anything that may be too difficult or tedious to use or that you don't feel a pressing need for, try as they might to convince you that something may be absolutely essential, and that they can't believe you've been on Earth all these years without ever hearing of it. Really. You really don't want to buy something just to have to dust it once a year before pesach when you are cleaning out the bowels of your medicine cabinet and put it back because you didn't have the heart to throw it out last year, so why now?

And if your skin has a tendency to break out, it's important to remember that just like you don't go to sleep or exercise in the clothes you wore to work, makeup is something that you should make sure to remove when you are done with it. Leaving it on to let it do its own thing can be pretty rough on your skin. Although it may look like your face is washed out and devoid of makeup after a long day, shower and all, you have no idea what kind of gunk is loitering in your pores. So just like you would like to purchase some nice cosmetics to make yourself look pretty, get yourself a good face cleanser that gives your skin a good, deep cleaning daily and eventually bring out the beautiful, natural glow that will enhance your look from behind the makeup. I would say the care and keeping of your skin is equally as important (well, more, really, because it's more long term) as the makeup you put on it.

Also, don't forget that it's the confidence in yourself, makeup application included, that really makes you beautiful!

Anyway, I'm getting ahead of myself... good luck, and have fun!

willow

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 7:26 am
I liked your post

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 8:46 am
OP here:
Thanks so much for the recommendation for Lancome, it sounds good. I will bear in mind everything you said. I don't really know what are basics and what are extras, for someone who wants a simple look, what are the essentials to buy? Thanks!

amother

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 8:59 am
If u want to start with the least buy foundation ( maybe Ull need concealer to even out ur skin) blush, lipstick , eye liner maybe mascara..these r the min..

amother
Seafoam

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 10:12 am
I believe that mascara would come before eyeliner. Mascara without eyeliner will enhance your eyelashes and give your face a pretty look in a subtle way. Eyeliner without mascara can make you look pretty, but in a more severe way.. plus by defining your eyes but not your lashes, your lashes will virtually disappear. It's not a natural look at all.

If you are looking for the natural look, you are only looking to enhance the features you have and hide blemishes. This would include:

-Moisturizer, oil free, to be applied in the morning or before applying your makeup. Neutrogena is good. Dry skin breeds skin sensitivity and acne, so this is an important one, even if it is invisible.
-A good, oil-free foundation that is smooth, not cakey, and has good coverage.
(****BONUS**** to take care of what the above two products accomplish at once, invest in a good tinted moisturizor. It's a moisturizor and foundation in one, that feels light and gives your skin a really nice look. Bobbi Brown makes a nice one. Just some food for thought)
-A peachy-colored blush that gives you a rosy glow
-A good mascara (you do NOT have to spend money on mascara - the l'oreal or maybelline one at your local pharmacy will do the trick, as long as you apply it slowly and throughout your lashes, taking care to get those tricky corner ones, too)
-Like amother above said, a concealer will do wonders to hide those spots you would rather not have on your face
-Lipstick that is about two shades deeper than your natural lip color will give you a nice evening or 'going out' look without being too striking. Nude lipstick is also an excellent option as well as very fashionable.

The more 'grey areas' of natural makeup application would include:

-Bronzer - some consider it essential to a made-up face, others do not like to darken their natural skin tone. I, myself, am a fan, but on in MODERATION lest you resemble an oompa loompa.
-Eyeliner - It's really a basic to almost everyone, but it is in the category of cosmetics which create something new and unnatural on the face. To use eyeliner but still maintain a natural look, buy it in charcoal or dark brown as opposed to black, and apply as close as you can to your lash line.
-Eyeshadow - A color in the beige family with a hint of shimmer can give you that hint of glint you may be seeking. Heavier, smokier application is nice for occasions (get out that nude lipstick for a runway look) and fun colors in blues, purples, and greens are more daring and a lot less conservative.
-Dark lipsticks - reds can look very chic, hot pinks are feminine and fun.

Hope this helps...

Last edited by amother on Tue, May 24 2016, 1:54 am; edited 2 times in total

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:16 am
If you learn best by reading, Google makeup application. If you learn best by watching videos, try YouTube on the topic.

Eemaof3

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:16 am
Consider Clinique as they also carry skin care products. Can get a very natural look. Watch for "free" extras like spend $X and get a bag with small moisturizer, shadow, lipstick, etc.

Isramom8

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 11:19 am
Consider "long wearing" makeup. I like Revlon lipsticks because the "long wearing" ones stay on.

mommyhood

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 12:25 pm
Make sure to go the fanciest store around to get your makeup done. The same brand of makeup costs the same at the more upscale stores and at the lesser department stores but the more upscale ones will have classier people working behind the counter IME.

markmywords

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 12:30 pm
I've had it done at LancĂ´me and had a good experience.

bigprincess

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 2:58 pm
Just fyi bobbi brown is the same company as estie lauder and mac. Mac is the cheapest of the three and they have great products.

Maya

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 3:49 pm
bigprincess wrote:
Just fyi bobbi brown is the same company as estie lauder and mac. Mac is the cheapest of the three and they have great products.

Clinique is also a brand of Estee Lauder.

MrsDash

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 5:08 pm
Before anything, if you are prone to breaking out easily, or have sensitive skin, make sure the makeup you are putting on your face is "non-comedogenic" and "hypoallergenic." If you use foundation or cover-up that doesn't mention it, stay away, because it will only make your skin worse. I've had makeup sales women assure that it's "implied" if it says hypoallergenic. It's not. It must state that it's non-comedogenic. Meaning it won't clog your pores, which leads to more redness, blackheads, and pimples.

Best place to go to for FREE makeup advice, and how-to's is Sephora. If you're in the US they have them practically everywhere. If there isn't a designated store, JC penny usually has a separate section in the store dedicated to Sephora. Don't be embarrassed about asking them ANYTHING. This is what they do. They specialize in makeup. Tell them up front that you need foundation and/or cover-up that says non-comedogenic on the actual package/product.

Now basics. In my opinion, your face comes before anything else, even before your eyes or lips. If you don't like the caked feeling of foundation or don't have the time or $$$ for a good quality brand, then use concealer. At the very least to cover up any redness, active pimples/blackheads or uneven skin tones. Buy a lighter color than your actual skin color. Using concealer that's too dark can look very off. Also, buy a concealer applicator brush. I LOVE my brush. It really does make a difference when applying it with a good quality brush rather than using your fingers or cotton buds, etc.

Invest in a GOOD quality mascara. It doesn't necessarily have to be waterproof. In fact the one I use isn't waterproof, but stays on very well, and never runs.

More important than color on your lips is moisturized, smooth, non-chapped lips.

Like you said, you want it to look more "natural." Don't wear anything you're uncomfortable with just because someone tells you it's in style. When you find the color(s) that works for you, stick with them. Worry about what looks good on you, not what is in style.

I'm also a late bloomer in this department. I never wore makeup as a teen. I didn't start using until after age 21. Best of Luck! Smile

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jul 20 2012, 6:34 pm
I'd ask my dermatologist first. You can have someone who does makeup for simchas help you. You don't need a department store counter with overpriced stuff.

Culturedpearls

Post Sat, Jul 21 2012, 8:38 pm
I use Shiseido, it's hypo allergenic.
I have a skin cleanser & moisturizer & deep moisturizer.
Wet & dry foundation with sunscreen.
Blush.
Eye shadow.
Lipstick.
Brown Eyeliner.

willow

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 10:05 am
I have very difficult skin and have always used clinque stuff. Then my sisterin law introduced me to bare minerals and my skin reacts really well with it.

the chevrah

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 11:41 am
Anyone use Mary K? What's your experience? Someone's trying to sell it to me. Would like to hear abt it before I do......

Chocoholic

Post Sun, Jul 22 2012, 3:14 pm
the chevrah wrote:
Anyone use Mary K? What's your experience? Someone's trying to sell it to me. Would like to hear abt it before I do......

Most drug store make-up brands (maybelline, loreal, amay, revlon etc etc etc) are MUCH much better
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics