Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do they have to go in a carseat?
1  2  3  Next

mumoo

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 10:30 pm
My children all rode in carseats. Even on airplanes. All carpooled children did too-even if that meant 4 3yr olds. My 7 yr dd had to go back to a booster when the law was changed (she was none too happy).

I see some mothers feel the same way, and some clearly do not.

Are you makpid on carseats with your children, the ones you carpool, your children in other carpools, boosters?

GAMZu

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 11:10 pm
Recently I was having trouble fastening a carseat restraint and MIL suggested I leave it open. I doubt she will suggest anything of the sort again! Wink
But I also feel that people overreact about car seats. I read on a forum once how a mother realized she left the restraint open, pulled over and buckled her child. She couldn't continue driving because she was so shaken. But is it that big a deal as to have a panic attack? I can bet that she leaves kitchen drawers open at home where her kid can reach for a knife- or the bathroom where he can drown in the toilet.
Car safety isn't the end-all and be-all of child safety, but ppl take it much more seriously than other safety.

Also a while ago on a different forum there were 2 threads at once- one about new laws for boosters and one about lawnmower safety.
The booster thread- e/o was saying they'd do anything for their children's safety, even if it means a booster until age 16.
The lawnmower thread- ppl were making fun of the poster and saying that there are so many dangers in life... and what do you expect me to do? Not mow my lawn? My kid is playing on the other side of it! Do you expect me to deprive my child the pleasure of riding the mower cuz of a possibility of danger?

People take car-safety much more seriously than any other safety.

Marion

Post Sun, Dec 31 2006, 11:11 pm
We don't have a car, but I'm as careful as I can be to only go with a carseat. That means that if I know I'll be going by car I take the carrier/carseat and the big stroller (I prefer the big stroller anyway). Sometimes, though, I'm caught by surprise, and I don't have a huge choice but to go without. DS has just about outgrown the carrier, and we're debating what to do about a carseat.

shininglight

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 12:52 am
It's probably not the best idea, but I'm really not so careful about car seats. It has to do with the mentality here (Israel) and the fact that I don't have a car. I never shlep a car seat in a taxi - where would I put it after we got to our destination? When we're in America I'm very careful to use a carseat, but here in Israel I almost never do.

Go ahead and throw the tomatoes - I'm putting my helmet on ...

suomynona

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 2:26 am
shininglight wrote:
It's probably not the best idea, but I'm really not so careful about car seats. It has to do with the mentality here (Israel) and the fact that I don't have a car. I never shlep a car seat in a taxi - where would I put it after we got to our destination? When we're in America I'm very careful to use a carseat, but here in Israel I almost never do.

Go ahead and throw the tomatoes - I'm putting my helmet on ...

Same here. it really bothers me, but I can't think of any other options. I can't exactly shlep a toddler carseat wherever I go.

yrs1025

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 6:36 am
I am makpid on carseats. My dd is alive because she was properly restrained in a carseat (installed by the fire department) when we hydroplaned and hit a guardrail (she was almost 6 yrs at the time, and still using the carseat with the harness because she was not yet 40 lbs.). Her door was smashed in (the car was totalled) and her carseat was damaged, but B"H she only had bruises. We were all taken by ambulance to the hospital (and they had her on a stretcher with her head immobilized). The ct scan was fine B"H. Had she not been properly restrained (in a carseat), I have no doubt that she would have gone flying. She is still in a booster seat and I make sure that whoever drives her has one for her. My other dd used one until she was 11 and met the height requirements to come out of the booster (57 inches). My kids like the booster seat, they know that carseats and booster seats saves lives.

DesignMommy

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 6:37 am
I would never put my child, or any child in my car unless they were buckled into the appropriate car seat. My 18 month old son is still rear facing because he is not yet 20 lbs, and my 5 year old daughter sits in a britax. This video on youtube illustrated the importance of carseats- but warning, it is very sad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

greenfire

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 6:44 am
Alot of these rules, including carseats, are put there for our safety. My daughters friend was in a bad car accident and cause she wasn't in a seat belt her head got smashed - years of recovery. Is that what it takes for people to care.

cindy324

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 7:36 am
I try to be as strict about carseats as I reasonably can be. In our car, DH would never allow any child to ride without a carseat. The only time I'm lax about it is in a car service, which I take very seldom, and , like another poster wrote, what are you going to do with the carseat once you get to your destination.

That said, we had this issue with my daughter's playgroup. Here in BP, it is very common for playgroups to use a big van for transportation. BUT, there are no carseats, and it's terrible, and most of the moms are not concerned shock

So when my DD's playgroup offered transportation we asked if we can put in our own carseat. B"H it worked out as it is a small playgroup, and one of the moms are doing the transportation and we're able to put in and take out our carseats daily.

BTW, designmommy, thanks for that video. It really is very sad, but my kids are forever pushing the shoulder strap to the back , that demonstration on what happens when only the lap belt is on really opened my eyes, so from now on you better believe my car is not moving until the seatbelts are properly on!

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 7:40 am
DesignMommy wrote:
I would never put my child, or any child in my car unless they were buckled into the appropriate car seat. My 18 month old son is still rear facing because he is not yet 20 lbs, and my 5 year old daughter sits in a britax. This video on youtube illustrated the importance of carseats- but warning, it is very sad. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azgBhZfcqaQ

I've seen that video. My question is this: for those of us who don't have cars, how would you suggest that we always have a carseat on hand? And I'm talking about AFTER they outgrow their infant carriers. Most carseats, especially 2-in-1 and 3-in-1 are way too bulky to carry around if you're pushing a stroller, and they don't fit in the baskets underneath either. It's one thing if you're planning on going by cab, but what if a sudden car ride is unplanned? There was a thread about portable (fabric) carseats/restraint systems, but most of the posters felt they weren't very safe. So does that mean never taking a taxi? How is it safer to travel on public transportation? Or maybe we should just never go out with our children unless we can walk? I'm not being sarcastic, just practical.

ceo

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 7:48 am
Marion, the tote -and-go thing that you are talking about is better than nothing. That's what I would use. I know that here in large cities in America, you can usually call a taxi with a built in carseat, but that's not a reality in Israel.

I bet you can do a search on the internet for "taxis with toddlers" or soemthing like that. I am sure that other people have had this situation.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 9:42 am
It's both a law and for everyone;s safety. How can you NOT be?

yoyosma

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 10:25 am
In NY its NOT a law to use car seats in Taxi's and car services. I read it in a parenting magazine just yesterday.

mimsy7420

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 11:06 am
Wow this thread is so scary.
All you need it one incident and you can CHVS regret not using a carseat for the rest of your life.
Doesn't seem worth it to me.

suomynona

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 11:37 am
That tote and go looks like a great idea.
I'm seriously considering getting one.

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 11:46 am
yoyosma wrote:
In NY its NOT a law to use car seats in Taxi's and car services. I read it in a parenting magazine just yesterday.

It's the law here too...but as far as I know (and I've asked around), there are NO cab companies that offer a carseat. As far as they're concerned (and not entirely wrong either) it's the parents' responsibility to provide one.

yoyosma

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 12:02 pm
Marion,
Quote:
According to the New York City Taxi and Limousine Commission, state mandated seat belt and child safety seat laws do not apply to passengers of the yellow medallion taxicabs or other for hire vehicles regulated by the TLC. Infant seats are optional.

This is from Time Out New York Kids edition, January-February 2007.

Marion

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 12:07 pm
Oops, meant to say it IS the law you have to use one in a cab...I'm in Israel, not NY.

yoyosma

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 12:11 pm
I didnt know that, Marion!
I have never taken a cab without a car seat anyway. I am a car seat freak, to the annoyance of my In laws. There have been many times when I have refused to go to family get togethers or other things where someone would be taking me (for a loooong ride, like 1-2 hours) because there was no room for a car seat.
My husbands family just cant understand it. They roll their eyes and think I am being 'difficult'.

Imaonwheels

Post Mon, Jan 01 2007, 2:38 pm
I once drove past a terrible accident. The car was upside down and the adults were on strechers. As we sat in traffic jam we saw the police take out 2 carseats w/crying babies. B"H the babies were crying. The parents weren't moving. Somethings are too precious to play around with.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics