Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
What to do with frozen chopped spinach?

aussiegal

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 11:47 am
I have 2 bags of Bodek frozen chopped spinach sitting in my freezer for AGES already! Any suggestions of what I can use it for? (besides for spinach latkes). Thanks.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:14 pm
Spinach noodle kugel

I like to microwave spinach and mushrooms, add some garlic salt, and put them in a wrap with melted cheese.

You can also make a creamy cheese sauce for pasta and add spinach to it.

Spinach quiche

Put it on pizza

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:20 pm
creamed spinach.

or, added to lasagne.

Chayary

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:21 pm
My mother's recipe--defrost frozen spinach, mix with mayo, water chestunuts (chopped or sliced, either way works) and vegetable soup mix (ideally the kind with actual dried up veggies, not just powder). It is delicous as a dip\salad, and looks very pretty when put into a scooped out round loaf of bread.

(I actually discovered recently that my mother's "recipe" is actually on the back of the soup mix box, with sour cream also. But we skip it.)

Also, mix it in with broccoli for a broc\spinach kugel. Yum.

mompete

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:26 pm
I mix mine in with tomato sauce and use it for pizza, lasagna or whatever. Extra vitamins!

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:26 pm
Spanakopita!

* One pack of filo pastry
* 1 Kg / 2 lb of spinach, either frozen or fresh
* 1 kg / 2 lb of feta cheese
* 250g / 1/2lb of butter or margarine, melted
* 2 cloves of garlic or garlic power
* 2 eggs

If the spinach is raw, cook and slice thinly. If frozen, defrost. In either case, mix the feta cheese and eggs with the spinach to make a mixture, adding the chopped garlic. Spread some butter on an oven tray. Open the filo package and place each thin pastry (it is as thin as paper) on the tray, buttering each one using a brush. After you have done 8 filo slices, place the spinach/feta mixture and spread over the entire oven tray, covering the 8 pastry slices. On top of this, place the remaining pastry slices, buttering each one of them as well. Notch the last one creating 2 inch (5 cm) on a side, squares. Place in a medium heat oven and cook till brown.

Note: I use very thin, defrosted pastry dough, the one that has a picture of bourekas on them and just use the one layer.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 12:42 pm
You can also mix it into ground beef when making hamburgers or meatballs.

amother

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:07 pm
you can make cheese and spinach quesadillas.....just put some cheese, defrosted and drained spinach, some sliced mushrooms on the flour tortilla, put another tortilla on top, and fry for a couple minutes each side in a frying pan with some oil.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:10 pm
Take a gefilte fish roll, pat the cooked spinach around it & cover with puff pastry

Nicole

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 1:14 pm
cream of spinach soup! (Kosher palette- "cream of anything soup")
Yum!

greenfire

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:47 pm
THROW THEM OUT - cause I don't like spinach and forever sounds like too long a time for freezer.

mumoo

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 3:52 pm
Chayary wrote:
My mother's recipe--defrost frozen spinach, mix with mayo, water chestunuts (chopped or sliced, either way works) and vegetable soup mix (ideally the kind with actual dried up veggies, not just powder). It is delicous as a dip\salad, and looks very pretty when put into a scooped out round loaf of bread.

(I actually discovered recently that my mother's "recipe" is actually on the back of the soup mix box, with sour cream also. But we skip it.)

I was just going to suggest this- I use pareve sour cream. Makes raw vegetables more fun for kids to eat

cutiemom

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 5:45 pm
my mother makes it with a little margarine, 1 or 2 eggs, about a tbsp of flour and salt and garlic to taste. it sounds simple and plain but with the right amount of seasoning is actually very good. also it is pareve and for those of us who don't like cheese or milk stuff it's great!

MMEC123

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 7:03 pm
amother wrote:
you can make cheese and spinach quesadillas.....just put some cheese, defrosted and drained spinach, some sliced mushrooms on the flour tortilla, put another tortilla on top, and fry for a couple minutes each side in a frying pan with some oil.
That sounds so good!

mama247

Post Tue, Jan 02 2007, 10:53 pm
I make a yummy spinach/cheese quiche. Uses a ready made pie crust, swiss and muenster cheese. I'll get you the recipe tommorow 'cuz I'm too lazy to go downstairs right now!

melalyse

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 9:49 am
I mix it with sauteed onions and mushrooms and add them to my deli roll.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 9:53 am
My family isn't spinach eaters and also likes a spinach quiche!

aussiegal

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 1:52 pm
hmm..thanks everyone!By the looks of things I"m gonna have to go out and buy MORE bags of spinach to try all the recipes here!!!!! Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics