Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Need help ASAP - What is winter carp?

Post Fri, Aug 03 2012, 11:19 am
I have two slices of winter carp. When I goggled "winter carp recipes" I got bait recipes and one question and answer site in which the person questioned the water the fish was living in and thought it might be buffalo fish.

Please help.

a)I bought this fish in a kosher store so hopefully mashgiah knows what fish is what.
b) Is winter carp OK to feed my family or is it just suitable for chum for fishes?
c) Do you have a recipe for winter carp?

I really appreciate your help ASAP as I am in the middle of my Shabbos cooking.

Thank you!

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Aug 04 2012, 9:08 pm
can't you ask in the store you bought it in ?

Post Sat, Aug 04 2012, 9:24 pm
I could not get through by phone. I couldn't leave to go there.

egam

Post Sat, Aug 04 2012, 10:17 pm
You can use your regular carp recipe.

Post Sat, Aug 04 2012, 11:56 pm
egam wrote:
You can use your regular carp recipe.

Thanks

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 9:57 am
Its carp, the winter makes no difference, and its quite safe to feed your family. Just very low on my (admittedly short list) of fish I'd like to eat. Smile

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 10:07 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
Its carp, the winter makes no difference, and its quite safe to feed your family. Just very low on my (admittedly short list) of fish I'd like to eat. Smile

It is different looking than regular carp and higher priced. I cooked it up with a stove top carp recipe.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 11:08 am
According to this, http://www.carp.net/winter.htm , winter carp, is the same as regular carp, Its Just harder to catch in the winter. Since it is a harder fish to get at that time of the year, the price would go up. The question is, did you buy it recently, or was it in the freezer for a while? If it was in the freezer for a few months that might explain the different look. if you bought it a few days ago, I am out of ideas. Smile

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 11:11 am
Mommy3.5 wrote:
According to this, http://www.carp.net/winter.htm , winter carp, is the same as regular carp, Its Just harder to catch in the winter. Since it is a harder fish to get at that time of the year, the price would go up. The question is, did you buy it recently, or was it in the freezer for a while? If it was in the freezer for a few months that might explain the different look. if you bought it a few days ago, I am out of ideas. Smile
I bought it right before Shabbos.

Mommy3.5

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 12:08 pm
Squishy wrote:
Mommy3.5 wrote:
I bought it right before Shabbos.

Maybe it was shipped from Austrailia.... LOL LOL LOL

I am out of ideas. I'll shut up now Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics