Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
ISO Kugel with "mixed vegetables" (peas, corn, car

AlwaysGrateful

Post Sun, Aug 05 2012, 7:46 pm
Anyone have a good recipe? I already did a search and didn't find any. In one thread, somebody said that I could just use the same recipe as for a broc kugel, but sub the mixed vegetables for the broc. Anyone know if this would work?

I'm not looking for the Quick and Kosher recipe that has french fried onions and creamed corn on top. We like that, but I'm looking for more of a real kugel.

Cupcake Queen

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 8:08 am
I have been making a kugel that is similar to this for the past two Shabboses I don't measure exactly, but this is a pretty flexible "recipe"...

I use two bags of frozen chopped vegetables. The type I used had onions, celery and carrots. I sauteed the frozen vegetables (I didn't bother to thaw them) in a little bit of oil (you could also use a fat free oil spray!). I added two packages of sliced fresh mushrooms and one large zucchini (sliced thin- I used a food processor but you could just cut it up with a knife) to the pan and cooked until it was soft (maybe 15 minutes?). Using a slotted spoon to drain the liquid, I removed the veggies from the pan and placed in a mixing bowl. I added a squeeze of light mayo and 3 eggs to the mixture. I seasoned it with a lot of onion powder and some salt and pepper. I put the mixture into a 9x13 pan and baked for about an hour. I think that this would work with any vegetables that you's like to use! My friend shared the recipe with me since we are both doing South Beach. I love it!

Hope that helps...

Goldengrl327

Post Sun, Dec 23 2012, 4:28 pm
I use a similar recipe for a vegetable kugel/pareve "quiche"

I use a frozen pie crust
1 bag of mixed frozen vegetables (I use the one that contains carrots, corn, peas, green beans)
1 bag of frozen broccoli cuts
1 cup mayo
3 eggs

cook frozen vegetables in microwave or stovetop until soft. Mash broccoli. Meanwhile, beat mayo and eggs until thickened. Add salt to vegetables to taste (sometimes I add a little extra salt since the mayo and eggs will make the veggies bland). Fold eggs/mago into vegetables and then add concoction into pie shell. Bake at 350 for about 45 min - 1 hour until top is browned.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 24 2012, 6:12 am
b94race wrote:

I use a frozen pie crust
1 bag of mixed frozen vegetables (I use the one that contains carrots, corn, peas, green beans)
1 cup mayo
3 eggs

cook frozen vegetables in microwave or stovetop until soft. Mash broccoli. Meanwhile, beat mayo and eggs until thickened. Add salt to vegetables to taste (sometimes I add a little extra salt since the mayo and eggs will make the veggies bland). Fold eggs/mago into vegetables and then add concoction into pie shell. Bake at 350 for about 45 min - 1 hour until top is browned.

I do something really similar but I also add a bit of flour and some onion soup powder for a bit of oomph. Also sometimes I add fried onion and/or sliced mushrooms. A sprinkle of sesame seeds on top is nice too.

elmos

Post Tue, Dec 25 2012, 11:53 pm
b94race wrote:

I use a frozen pie crust
1 cup mayo
3 eggs

I do something really similar but I also add a bit of flour and some onion soup powder for a bit of oomph. Also sometimes I add fried onion and/or sliced mushrooms. A sprinkle of sesame seeds on top is nice too.

b94race Posted: Sun, Dec 23 2012, 4:

does it need a pie crust???

etky

Post Wed, Dec 26 2012, 12:43 am
elmos wrote:
b94race wrote:

I use a frozen pie crust
1 cup mayo
3 eggs

b94race Posted: Sun, Dec 23 2012, 4:

does it need a pie crust???

I do it w/ a pie crust when we have guests but when it's just our immediate family I bake it in a greased 9 x 13 pan to save calories. Sometimes I will sprinkle cornflake crumbs beneath the kugel and on top and spray it w/ Pam in lieu of the crust. It comes out fine that way - it's just prettier and more interesting w/ the pie crust. BTW just broccoli is good too, w/o the other vegetables. Just double the amount of broccoli. I actually prefer it that way, especially w/ mushrooms.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes