Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
What's the right bike size for tall 6 year old boy?

SV

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 12:34 pm
My son learned how to ride a 2-wheeler and now wants a bike. He is turning 6 in a couple of weeks, and is pretty tall for his age. I tried googling bike sizes and it looks like he would need either a 16'' or 18''. Is it better to get the bigger one? Or will it be too big for him?

Thanks!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 12:54 pm
Go to. Store and try the sizes out

bluebird

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 2:18 pm
Like the another above me said, you should go to a store. There's a lot to getting a proper bike fit; height, arm length, and leg length/proportion are all part of finding a bike and seat position that fit. The sales people at a good bike shop should be able to do this for you. They could also give you advice on which bike would keep working as he grows, for example having enough room to keep raising the seat.

bluebird

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 2:19 pm
Like the another above me said, you should go to a store. There's a lot to getting a proper bike fit; height, arm length, and leg length/proportion are all part of finding a bike and seat position that fit. The sales people at a good bike shop should be able to do this for you. They could also give you advice on which bike would keep working as he grows, for example having enough room to keep raising the seat.

thanks

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 2:29 pm
He should be able to touch the floor on tip-toes with the seat at the lowest position. If his feet do not reach, it's too big, or if he can put his feet flat on the floor the bike is too small.

ekwonkblog

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 2:33 pm
Have him stand over the frame with both feet flat on the ground. A properly-sized bike frame will give an inch or two clearance between the top tube of the frame and the crotch. If you are worried about him falling on said crotch you can get a girls or mountain bike which has a curved top tube and a lower top tube respectivly.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Aug 06 2012, 6:34 pm
Get a 16". 18" is very hard to find.
Most kids that age are fine with a 16" at a higher position. In a store, the seat might not be at the right place, so if you're trying it out in a store, try it out where the bike salesmen actually will help fit you, and not Walmart.

My short 7 yo is on a 16" with the seat very low. He has plenty of room to grow, and I think a 16" is standard at your son's age. Most kids go from a high setting there to a low setting on a 20" which is way too big for him, without actually ever using an 18" making 18" bikes sparser.

SV

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 9:40 am
Thanks everyone. I actually found a bike on craiglist that's 18'' (for $15!!!) - HY you think it would be too big?

Simy

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 11:11 am
my son is 6 1/2, and we bought him a 21 inch bike
18' is just right, I think 16' is too small and soon you'll have to buy a new one

ray family

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 11:58 am
my 6 yr old, avg height has an 18"
16 would be too small if your son is tall.
21 I would think is too high.
you said you got one on craigslist. how'd it work out?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Aug 07 2012, 6:47 pm
SV wrote:
Thanks everyone. I actually found a bike on craiglist that's 18'' (for $15!!!) - HY you think it would be too big?
Maybe not....when it's lowered it may fit him (not sure how tall he is)...and if not, you can save it, get a 16" and pass the 16" to his younger brother next year and give him the 18" then Smile

SV

Post Wed, Aug 08 2012, 7:01 am
Thanks HY and rayfamily. I am hoping to pick up the bike tomorrow - I will let you know. For $15, it's too good of a deal to pass up, so I am hoping it will "fit" my son. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children