Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
"Real" vanilla (not imitation)
1  2  3  Next

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:12 am
Does anyone know a source where I could buy a really really big one? I can only get the tiny ones which last for only a few recipes. (I can use rum but it doesn't have the same taste.)

Thanks!

shoy18

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:12 am
Costco

lubcoralsprings

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:13 am
Costco, Samsclub, BJS, Walmart, Supertarget,

Mishie

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:35 am
Have you ever tried making your own?
I've always wanted to, but never got around to it.

Here's how:

- Split vanilla bean lengthwise with a sharp knife.
- Place in jar with 3/4 cup vodka.
- Be sure bean is completely covered with vodka.
- Seal tightly.

(It takes about 4 months for the flavours to fuse together).

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:38 am
I am involved on several baking sites, and no one much does well with that..........says it doesn't have a good taste.

Mishie

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:48 am
Well, maybe the factories who make the REAL stuff, have some special or secret ingredient they add....

I was also gonna try Mint Extract. (The same idea, but with Mint leaves).

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jan 03 2007, 11:53 am
I don't know if this company is in the NY area. I'm from the Midwest originally, and I saw it there. It's called Gordon Food Service. They are a food distributor for commercial establishments, but anyone can go in and shop. My shluchah used to by a lot of things there for the Chabad house bc she made such large Shabbosim.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 3:53 pm
I don't drive and I don't shop at any of those stores. does anyone know anything else?

I went to a food emporium and got two, but they were still kinda small and six bucks each.

CVS are cheaper but very very tiny..

anyone shop at gristedes or any other large, known name store?

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 10:42 pm
Does anyone have an idea why the heimishe companies ' vanilla extract is always imitation? Does it have to do with limitations because of kashrus?

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:04 pm
There's gotta be someone in your hood that goes to those costco stores - ask them to pick you up one. What's wrong w/imitation though - it's 98 only & then recipe doesn't taste so strong like alcohol.

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:23 pm
Imitation is cheaper.
Not homemade tastes better because it has corn syrup.
I know people that were successful making it on their own. It has to sit for a long time, minimum 2 months and tastes better at a year.

HealthCoach

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:25 pm
You can get at shoprite, although we don't use store vanilla extract anymore because of corn syrup.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 11:31 pm
I didn't know it had corn syrup but what's wrong w/corn syrup?

HealthCoach

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 12:08 am
We don't use it because one of my kids is allergic to it. Most vanilla extracts have corn syrup even if they do not say so on the ingredient list. There can be an exception though, and I would be very happy to find it.

Mommy3.5

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 12:29 am
TzenaRena wrote:
Does anyone have an idea why the heimishe companies ' vanilla extract is always imitation? Does it have to do with limitations because of kashrus?

the heimish companies do make real vanilla. It costs 3 times the price, but they make it, just very few stores carry it. I happen to have 3 bottles of the stuff in my cabinet!

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 12:53 am
Just after Pesach I made my own. I haven't used it yet since I have a bottle of real vanilla extract from the last time I was int he US and went to Costco, but I did open it up and boy does it smell great.

I can't WAIT to start using it!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 11:07 am
After an appt this AM I popped by a big grocery..and a four oz bottle was $16.98 !!!!!

faigie

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 12:54 pm
for 17 bucks im gonna try to make my own.

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 12:59 pm
I only use the imitation vanilla extract. I heard that the "real" one has carcinogens in it. Ill try to find a source for that when I have a chance to googe. Added benefit is that its cheaper as well Very Happy

Ambassador-to-KJ

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 1:02 pm
Found it! on Vanilla.com

Q. Is vanilla from Mexico and the Caribbean dangerous?
A. Coumarin, which was usually found in vanilla from Mexico and the Caribbean countries until recently can be dangerous in large quantities as it has been found to cause liver cancer in laboratory animals. Coumarin has been banned in the United States since the early 1950s. Much of the so-called vanilla extract from Mexico no longer has coumarin in it. It may, however, have red dyes which are banned for use in the United States.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen