Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Do you give maaser?

amother

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:17 pm
I just wondering how common it is out there?
Is it normal that my husband and I do not have a cheshbon of how much tzedakah we give and if we really are giving 1/10th of our earnings.
Is it very bad???

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:19 pm
Why don't you?

syrima

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:20 pm
yes we give maaser and more. it mostly goes to tuition!

amother

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:33 pm
op here- we really do not have enough to make our ends meet each month. My husband is trying to find a new job but as of now we just give some tzedakah but not so much.

As soon as my son starts school we will count the tution in as maaser, but till then...

syrima

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:36 pm
if you are having trouble paying bills then could be for now you don't have to pay maaser...AYLOR bc the promise Hashem gave for giving maaser is something you don't want to pass up I would think.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:39 pm
we keep track of our maaser but we cant always afford to give it. hopefully one day we will be able to catch up.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:40 pm
When we were in that position, we kept a record and paid it off when we were able to. You can speak to a rav if you want to learn more about the requirements of maaser. I look at it as an investment Smile

amother

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:
I just wondering how common it is out there?
Is it normal that my husband and I do not have a cheshbon of how much tzedakah we give and if we really are giving 1/10th of our earnings.
Is it very bad???

IMO it is not very bad. Read the SA on this. You will see it is very reasonable. The money can be draining.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:48 pm
Thanks for all the support, we really want to give this maaser. Hopefully, when the money is a little less tight we ill be able to give...

thatgirl

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 9:52 pm
amother wrote:
op here- we really do not have enough to make our ends meet each month. My husband is trying to find a new job but as of now we just give some tzedakah but not so much.

As soon as my son starts school we will count the tution in as maaser, but till then...

yes maaser is important.. speak to a rav but I heard that you can keep the maaser for yourself if you take it out first. like take the correct percent aside and then u can use it for yourself.

amother

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 10:53 pm
We can just barely afford maaser and by the end of every month our checking account has like $100 in it. I scheduled an automatic monthly withdrawal from my checking to a tzedaka account. If I ever need to borrow from it, I would, and then repay it. A couple times a year I empty out half of the tzedaka account and donate it, usually to an organization like Bonei Olam, Chai Lifeline or the local Hatzolah.

We can probably find a heter to avoid giving maaser but frankly we don't want to. It's a mitzva we don't want to miss out on. We hope that if we go out of our way to be generous, then Hashem will do the same for us...

Kayla Rus

Post Thu, Aug 09 2012, 10:58 pm
Do you give a tenth of what a gift is worth?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions