Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Five Towns/ Far Rockaway girls schools

amother

Post Mon, Aug 13 2012, 1:12 pm
looking to move to this area, need girls schools, starting with kindergardens/nursery.. what are your experiences in the girls schools? looking closest at tag if anyone can tell me their experiences,
also what do you know about the new school opening up?

amother

Post Mon, Aug 13 2012, 4:49 pm
bump

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 10:34 am
anyone?

preempservices

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 11:12 am
I am a grateful BBY parent - 3 daughters, youngest going in to 8th grade. PM me if you have specific questions, BUT I will be away from my computer after tomorrow morning for a few days.
RE new school - keep an eye on this thread:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....09533

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 1:12 pm
Thanks for replying. I did hear good things about BBY but I think BBY is a bit too yeshivish for us - signing about no tv etc.. when I do let my kids watch some tv and they know some shows and characters so we kind of ruled it out.
thanks for replying though..

preempservices

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 1:44 pm
My Pleasure. Good Luck!

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 4:20 pm
I attended TAG nursery and kindergarten in 1966. Loved it LOL.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 6:03 pm
Have you looked into Shulamith?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 6:50 pm
I did look into shulamis and liked how they are smaller and also heard from happy parents, but felt it might be a bit too modern for us, wasn't so sure about their hashkafa/zionistic etc.

Gsanmb

Post Tue, Aug 14 2012, 9:40 pm
I no longer live there, but I had my daughters first in Shulamith, then in TAG. We were very, very, VERY happy at TAG. I have high standards for education (both kodesh AND secular) and -- with the exception that is true of mostly all the yeshivos that the educational philosophy is very 'traditional,' which can be a challenge for out-of-the-box students -- I could not have been happier.

I was not particularly thrilled with Shulamith although it had nothing to do with hashkafa. PM me if you want more information about that.

As far as hashkafa goes, now being out of town with only one option the difference is a matter of very small degrees, but for people in the 5t/FR area, the answer to the question 'where do your kids go to school?' has nothing to do with educational needs and everything to do with 'where you're holding.'

B'not Shulamith is tzioni, and takes kodesh very seriously. The parent body varies from quite 'modern' but do not want to send to co-ed schools, to yeshivish/tzioni. There is the 'hot chanie' contingent for sure but how much that represents the class really varies by class. I made good friends there although I did not fit in, in many ways. (But I am a maverick so that is not surprising; I was also a lot older than most of the moms in my oldest daughter's class).

TAG is a Bais Yaakov; it is the 'community' Bais Yaakov. It's serious about its role as a BY but it is not as ... intense? ... as BBY. Many kids have parents who are rabbeim etc. but many are working and professional families also. The teachers were loving, kind (in elementary and preschool), and rigorous (in the elementary grades) and they went out of their way to help my oldest daughter adjust to the more intense curriculum when we switched from Shulamith in 2nd grade. We've been gone now 3 years and their teachers still keep in touch...I just got off the phone with my oldest's 3rd grade teacher to invite her to my daughter's upcoming bat mitzvah. We are a tzioni family but I felt very comfortable at TAG (on Yom Ha'atzmaut I took my girls early and went to a celebration at SKA High School where I taught).

Does that help? Please feel free to message me or ask here for more info if you need it. Hatzlacha!

amother

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 12:13 pm
Gsanmb that really does help a lot. I guess I would classify us as "yeshivish modern" if such a thing exists. my husband works and tries to learn at night when he can, but it doesn't happen every night. we believe in yeshiva ideals and are not tzioni. we are more down to earth and not at all a "hot chani" type. B"H we are comfortable but don't like to be showy. we associate with warm, down to earth people who don't look you up and down to see what you are wearing etc.
the truth is I like tag the best for us BUT my biggest worry is that it is so BIG!!! They have so many classes for each grade and I am so worried my quiet little girls will just get so lost.. what do you think based on your experience?

Gsanmb

Post Wed, Aug 15 2012, 6:29 pm
I did not find the size to be a problem. I was a very involved parent and although I did not really feel 'accepted' in the PTO (it tends to be the same people year after year) I was the room parent, was in regular contact with the teachers, was at the school frequently for events, etc.

The bonus with the size is that they really do have resources many of the other schools don't -- for kids with special needs (on either end of the spectrum), a nice stocked library, etc. And they just completed a huge renovation so the facility is really nice (we were there before that happened).

I don't think that should deter you if that's your best fit, and it seems like it probably will be. My suggestion would be to get involved as much as you can, invite kids for playdates, when you go to the school for the interview be very specific about what kind of class you prefer and get their feedback (I.e. the far rockaway class which tends to be more heimish; the lawrence class which tends to be more....well, lawrence-ish; etc. -- it's not a hard and fast rule but generally they will know what's what).

Like I said, we were super happy there. There is no perfect school of course and YMMV as always.

(For TAG families who also have boys, some send to Darchei Torah, some send to South Shore, and some send to Yeshiva Ketana. My boy was in Darchei even though we are not so 'right wing' but we LOVED Darchei and the hanhala there).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics