Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
$100K great new income, yeh right!!!!!
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 5:57 pm
This is a rant and I don’t know yet how long this will go, forgive me if it takes forever. My husband has decided to take the plunge from being a low income family in NY and all its benefits and to become normal decent people with a nice income legally and pay for all our expenses the right way. It turns out that after finding work totaling almost a hundred grand a year we are terribly off. We are dying here. We lost our food stamps and our Medicaid and we have nothing left. We pay half our income for rent and the other half is not enough anymore for food and expenses so we live on bread and milk and whatever I can make from it. I called the city to ask if there’s a transitional program for people who are getting off their programs to help them into the next phase in their lives. The answer was they can give me a number of a local food pantry if I need a meal for today.

It seems that this is never ending. Either we find ourselves new jobs under fake social security numbers and get our food stamps and Medicaid back or suffer a swift death. This is the end of my good old life as I knew it.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:09 pm
let me get this straight. you are sayiing that you used to scam the system and now that u are not, you cant live?? GIVE ME A BREAK.

The fact that you cant live on 100,000$ is pathetic. The fact that you seem to think its suchhhhhhhhh a big deal that you are now doing what EVYERONE else already does is pathetic.

im sorry but op- your rant is a sad display of all that is wrong with the frum society: ppl scamming the government and living above their means.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:17 pm
im not sure what your issue is, but $100,000 a year is pretty good salary, you can have a decent life living on that. soi dont see why you would be unhappy, you should be thrilled that your husband ventured to get a normal living, thats a good thing. if you got used to being sheltered by living on government help then yeah I can see your fear. but knowing how to handle money is a good idea, why not go to a financial advisor and ask how to manage your money. most of use half or less in some cases of our income to pay rent. rent is high thats how it is, but we got to live, tuition is high as well, we all gotta pay it. I mean this is how life is, what can you do? if you are so worried about money still then maybe get a job as well, if your kids are bigger. I dont understand how you can be terribly off, unless your in debt or something. if your husband works for a company then doesnt he get health insurance? and even with this salary you can still apply to children health plus, youll just have to pay some cash a month. why cant you afford a living, is your living standard high? aside from rent, what other bills do you pay? also maybe cutting on things, can help you. there are still ways to find a way to live, dont give up just find a solution. good luck

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:20 pm
We are a family of 5, bli-ayin-hara, with an income of 110k, living in the tri-state area and we just bought a house last year (with a large mortgage).

We budget, we don't waste money on lavish or unecesary things. I still buy my kids clothes at Childrens Place or Target, I clip coupons, and I pay tuition for 2 kids. We don't end up putting more than 300 in savings but we can certainly do it.

Please don't steal from the rest of us honest taxpayers!

yoyosma

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:20 pm
Wait a second, amother #2.
Being on government programs doesnt always mean you are scamming. A lot of people have a real need for it.
We dont know how many children amother #1 has, how much her rent is, how much tuition is, how much her health insurance is, car payments, auto insurance, the list can go on! Living a Jewish life with all the expenses that come with it can be VERY expensive.
That being said, amother #1, if you would give us more insight, I am sure some would be more understanding. Are you sure there is no way you can cut back on any of your spending? Sometimes the things we think we need we dont need at all.
I am not judging at all. I wish you luck.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:22 pm
yoyosma wrote:
Wait a second, amother #2.
Being on government programs doesnt always mean you are scamming. A lot of people have a real need for it.
We dont know how many children amother #1 has, how much her rent is, how much tuition is, how much her health insurance is, car payments, auto insurance, the list can go on! Living a Jewish life with all the expenses that come with it can be VERY expensive.
That being said, amother #1, if you would give us more insight, I am sure some would be more understanding. Are you sure there is no way you can cut back on any of your spending? Sometimes the things we think we need we dont need at all.
I am not judging at all. I wish you luck.

I am amother #3 and I think making up a social security number etc as she suggests in her original post is "scamming."

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:23 pm
OP here
So the roof over our heads costs us $2100
The car cots $400 gas included
The net monthly income is $3600 which leaves us with $1100 for the month, do you think I’m meshuga enough to even tell you how much tuition costs? And the cost of staying sane is higher than all the numbers mentioned here.

Before this mess, we got the house and the insurance and the food paid. The money that we earned each week (same, but off the books) was all for the tuition, car and everything else.

yoyosma

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:24 pm
Ok, making up SS#'s is definitely scamming.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:25 pm
yoyos, I know plenty of ppl including some in my family that do take govt funding like section 8, food stamps, medicaid and more.... from all of the people I know, NONE of them are really elligable, I have yet to find a person that applied for these programs and didnt lie on the papers.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:28 pm
amother wrote:
yoyos, I know plenty of ppl including some in my family that do take govt funding like section 8, food stamps, medicaid and more.... from all of the people I know, NONE of them are really elligable, I have yet to find a person that applied for these programs and didnt lie on the papers.

Well, two wrongs don't make a right. It is geneiva from the many honest people whose taxes are higher to cover these people who lie and it gets me really mad, especially now, when I am beginning to think about filing my 2006 taxes.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:29 pm
OP here
Even my cleaning lady is not eligible and she gets it too and last year she was still living in Honduras or wherever she hailed from. Fake SS # meaning working on a relative’s name who may even have the same name as you and even look like you… they live outside the states so it doesn’t matter to them because they’re not losing anything and they only gain tax returns. I don want to be the crook wife to force my husband to do this but come on, I can only earn so much with my job , and that’s plenty

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:31 pm
OP, life is tough. My husband I and make about that much (together) and we also find it tight but that is the way life goes. We both work 10 hours a day, I have three degrees and its still tough. Any healthy, able-bodied person that asks for food stamps is WRONG. I dont care how many children you have or how much your rent is...you are taking money that you COULD work for. If there are special circumstances where you are unable to work....ONLY then should you apply for food stamps. My parents raised 12 children without asking for a dime...I dont understand people who think the way you do...and this post made me very....

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:34 pm
OP...You have a cleaning lady and you are complaining about expenses...are you kidding me...get real...life is not a party...that's ridiculous!!! I work all day, I am pregnant and I come home and scrub my own floors!

yoyosma

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:34 pm
Well, we have discussed people stealing from the government ad nauseum, I dont think we should go back into it. Some people have the need and are NOT lying when they fill out the papers, some scam. Go find the thread on it and comment there.

As for the SS#'s, who is going to give you theirs? There was a thread recently about someone whos father may or may not have given his friend his daughters SS# to buy a car and the hell the daughter is going through now.

I am sure that there is somewhere you can cut back on. Life is tough, it isnt easy anywhere.

Flowerchild

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:39 pm
I think what some people do is they cut out a lot of things out of their life for a while and save like crazy as much as possible even with all the crazy bills. my brother in law and his wife K'H make the same amount as your hubby together and they have a house and 3 kids, but they live a good life, because they saved a ton of money they lived in their house before they restored it, they waited a long while and lived in a crappy home and saved, then when they had some more cash they renovated, they dont spend money on expensive clothes at all, they dont go out often at all, they only spend money on tuition, food, morgage, other bills, since they both work and earn the same amount they have som extra whatever extra they have they save, save, and save.

I heard a story of a woman who had less then you, she was making like maybe in 20 or 30 k which is not much at all, and she was able to save money, she found ways to cut on things and lived very frugaly for a few years and was able to save good amount of money and even baught a house.

living and making money is very hard unless you got rich parents but people make it, they find ways to save, pay themselves first, go to financial advisor and ask for help. move to a cheaper place I dunno there are so many things you can do.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:47 pm
op- I just bet your life is so difficult and stressful.

How are you goign to get the newest lilly and jacadi for your kids if you are not stealing money from the government to cover your food and shelter??

How can you possibly keep full time help, and your brand new shaitel, and weekly manicures? Life is so hard..

How will you pay the payments on your acura or lexus when you have to honestly pay for your own food?!? Life is so unfair.

Poor poor you. Life must be so difficult.

Dont get too worked up about it . before you know it, you and your dh will have it much easier- on the inside of a prison cell.

yoyosma

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:49 pm
amother above, that is unneccesary.

amother

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:53 pm
The OP needs a reality check. She committed fraud and she could in reality go to prison for that!

I think my comments were on target.

yoyosma

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:55 pm
Did you read what she wrote? How did she commit fraud? She used to be on Government aid, now that she isnt, she is freaking out. Be a little sensitive.

red sea

Post Thu, Jan 04 2007, 6:56 pm
It makes NO sense, at 100k your net would be higher than 3600$.

But at net of 3600 I can totally see that minus the roof over your head, it leaves you with too little to live off of. Anyone showing that much income has got to be paying decent tuition, full if its one kid for sure. Which pretty much leaves you broke, a few hundred a month for everything else.

Why is your net so low based on 100k salary?
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics