Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The husband won't make 200K, so they cant be independent????
1  2  3  4  Next

amother

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 8:24 am
Quote:
I know people that the wife works in someone else's name, their car is in someone else's name and so is their house. Then the husband works off the books, this way they are qualified for all the programs including vouchers from the government for their kid's shool. I think that it is disgusting and dishonest and you are only handicapping yourself. The husband will never make like 200k or more bec. he could only find a job that will pay off the books so he will never be independant. I feel bad for such people, they are pathetic.

I was shocked at the above post. I consider her post pathetic.

Who do you know that makes 200K honestly (without major Shtick)? Personally, I'm anti crime and impropriety as well as the above poster, but I know many Doctors, Dentists, accountants and lawyers that aren't making 200,000.00 a year after office expenses. Am I living in a cloud? Who does, besides Nursing Home operators and the like, who are doing Shtick as well?

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 8:32 am
doctors: obg/yn, nuerosurgery(they make even more then 200k), etc, basically all the surgery doctors make that amount. also CEOs for big companies can make that. thats about it I think. average people like teachers, computer people(actually even those have a chance to make that) dont make that much

Mevater

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 8:50 am
Lillyofthevalley wrote:
doctors: obg/yn, nuerosurgery(they make even more then 200k), etc, basically all the surgery doctors make that amount. also CEOs for big companies can make that. thats about it I think. average people like teachers, computer people(actually even those have a chance to make that) dont make that much

So wouldn't you say, that it's a very small percentage of the population that makes 200K, and therefore people who don't aspire to, are realistic and NOT pathetic?
BTW, Surgeons have huge malpractice premiums that eat up alot of their income.

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 8:56 am
Quote:
So wouldn't you say, that it's a very small percentage of the population that makes 200K, and therefore people who don't aspire to, are realistic and NOT pathetic?

of course they are not pathetic,they are normal, most people will never have that kind of money and will live simple lives. but if you are in a particular field and you know that you have a chance of making more then why shouldnt aspire to that? but I would never call someone pathetic because they do not want or dont aspire for such things. each person lives life according to their desire, some people enjoy or like simple things some dont, some are go getters who will turn every stone to get to a place in life that they are dreaming of, some are not they just live and hope for the best. also I think that people forget that saving money is a big deal, just because you make 200k doesnt mean anything if you spend it all and your savings account is zero, most rich people go into debt very quickly because they assume they have enough money to pay off later. but managing your money and knowing how to spend it will make most people pretty comfortable.

Mevater

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:01 am
Lillyofthevalley wrote:
Quote:

of course they are not pathetic,they are normal, most people will never have that kind of money and will live simple lives. but if you are in a particular field and you know that you have a chance of making more then why shouldnt aspire to that? but I would never call someone pathetic because they do not want or dont aspire for such things. each person lives life according to their desire, some people enjoy or like simple things some dont, some are go getters who will turn every stone to get to a place in life that they are dreaming of, some are not they just live and hope for the best. also I think that people forget that saving money is a big deal, just because you make 200k doesnt mean anything if you spend it all and your savings account is zero, most rich people go into debt very quickly because they assume they have enough money to pay off later. but managing your money and knowing how to spend it will make most people pretty comfortable.

Wouldn't you say that if I'm not in the very small minority of people whose careers have a chance to yield 200k, I'd be living in a fog, if I was expecting to?

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:06 am
Quote:
Wouldn't you say that if I'm not in the very small minority of people whose careers have a chance to yield 200k, I'd be living in a fog, if I was expecting to?

no, people are allowed to dream but if you know you wont be making more ever then just settle for what you have and be happy.

chavamom

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:11 am
Families with parents that are both working professionals. Even some school principals make over$100K (yep, even in the Jewish world). You don't have to be a CEO or surgeon. Multiply that times two....

Mevater

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:12 am
Lillyofthevalley wrote:
Quote:
.... be living in a fog

....people are allowed to dream .

I think we agree, not disagree. LOL

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:14 am
chava thats true lol, I forgot about those, sure professional couples who both have jobs that make a good salary can make up to if not over 100k, so it is possible to have a normal income to live on.

Flowerchild

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:14 am
letsbehonest Very Happy

Mevater

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:17 am
chavamom wrote:
Families with parents that are both working professionals. Even some school principals make over$100K (yep, even in the Jewish world). You don't have to be a CEO or surgeon. Multiply that times two....

amother wrote:
Quote:
The husband will never make like 200k or more

meaning one income.

chavamom

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:27 am
Yeah, yeah. I responding more to the idea that it is unrealistic to dream of a 200K income. Well, let your dh get a decent job and you go to law school....voila! $200K income. It does make me laugh at how many people with that type of income will tell you that they 'can't afford' for the wife not to work. I think 'can't afford' means 'don't wanna live like that'.

withhumor

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:35 am
Quote:
I think 'can't afford' means 'don't wanna live like that'.

I’m guilty, that’s what I want therefore I work and work and work….

amother

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 9:46 am
chavamom wrote:
Well, let your dh get a decent job and you go to law school....voila! $200K income.

Where are people getting the idea that lawyers average anywhere near 100-200K?
Only accountants and lawyers working for the Top Fortune 500 firms make that money! How many accountants and lawyers get those shmaltzy jobs?

chavamom

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 10:41 am
1) The $200K was combined and 2) plenty of lawyers make $100K after a number of years. I'm not talking about people right out of school. But you do not have to work for a Fortune 500 to make 6 figures.

yoyosma

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 10:44 am
Quote:
after a number of years

Exactly!!! Too many people expect that the first or second or even third job will make them hit the jackpot. No one is wealthy instantly, unless they have a trust fund or invented YouTube.
You have to earn, to save, to scrimp, then! You will have something to show for it!

yoyosma

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 10:45 am
Also, most people who have those high paying power jobs have huge amounts of student loans to pay back, that takes time too!

amother

Post Fri, Jan 05 2007, 12:15 pm
chavamom wrote:
1) The $200K was combined and 2) plenty of lawyers make $100K after a number of years. I'm not talking about people right out of school. But you do not have to work for a Fortune 500 to make 6 figures.

My husband is a lawyer for many years. He knows more that don't make anywhere near 100,000. than that do.

chavamom

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 5:10 pm
OK, and I know doctors who don't make $100K either. I said it depends. I was thinking about this. These are jobs that relatives of mine and dh have that make over $100K and none work in 'smaltzy' jobs or for "Fortune 500' companies. They are: Dentist, Lawyer (more than one and in very different types of work), Actuary, Nurse Practitioner in transplant coordinator position (no, this is not me), psychologist, magazine owner (makes MUCH more and is the only one you could consider 'wealthy', but it is a trade journal, not "Cosmo" or the like), business owner, pharmacist.

So yes, you could certainly be any of those things and make less than $100K and almost all of them start out at less (pharmacists are hired here first year out of school at $90K and I am in the midwest in a lower paying area!), but I think there is a mythology that only 'smaltzy' jobs in big corporations are making this kind of money. I recently heard someone say that 'low 6 figures is the new middle class'. It's true in many places.

chavamom

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 5:35 pm
amother wrote:

My husband is a lawyer for many years. He knows more that don't make anywhere near 100,000. than that do.

Hmm - Average pay for lawyers by area or better yet Money magazine's rating of top paying jobs - lawyer
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics