Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The husband won't make 200K, so they cant be independent????
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

rw2730

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 9:19 pm
I'm responding to the beginning of this conversation when there was talk about people doing shtick to live a comfortable life. First of all, what are we teaching our children? That dishonesty pays? Second of all, there are many people I know that are broke and desperate to live in section 8 and can't because there are others who own homes (on other people's names) but won't leave because they are saving up to redo their house! It's one thing to want for yourself a nice life but there should be a certain communal responsibility or feeling if you will, to try to help those in serious poverty. If we wouldn't only focus on our needs and perhaps think about someone else this community would be a better place.
About the topic of 200K, people in business are making that, not just professionals. And yes, if you are a savvy enough person with the right coonnections and have a lot of mazal AND work day and night, you can be successful!

amother

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 10:47 pm
all of the lawyers I know make more than 100k. Starting salary at big firms is about 125k.

amother

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 10:48 pm
Nurses in management positions can make 100,000 or more.

downsyndrome

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 10:54 pm
I wouldn't call scalping the government 'shtick'; I would call it outright stealing, 'geneivah', robbery, shame, etc.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 11:24 pm
I call it not fair to those that really have learned to scrimp and save.. and still barely make it monthly

batya_d

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 11:41 pm
amother wrote:
all of the lawyers I know make more than 100k. Starting salary at big firms is about 125k.

That's what I was thinking... I know plenty of 25 year old lawyers with starting salaries above 100K, and it only goes up from there.

My husband is not professional, nor am I, but I'm a little surprised at how many of you think you have to be a Fortune 500 CEO to make 200K.

Investment bankers, hedge fund and mutual fund managers and others in the financial industries are also pulling in over $100K from the start-- and you don't even need a master's degree to start in investment Banking-- you just need to be clever and recruited from a top university and be willing to work grueling hours for the first two years.

Most of my classmates pursuing professional careers are going to be making six figures well before they turn 30. Granted, they all went to a high-ranking university, but I don't understand this attitude that a salary of $100K or $200K is unattainable. You just need to get the education.

If you're a former kollel guy who took some computer classes, of course you won't be pulling in that much. But there's another world of highly educated, highly motivated professionals out there, where 100K is considered a starting salary

And as for women, or family-friendly jobs, an RN in NYC who works three 12-hour shifts/week starts at 70K. Not bad, and thats not even a nurse practitioner.

Flowerchild

Post Sat, Jan 06 2007, 11:44 pm
Quote:
but I don't understand this attitude that a salary of $100K or $200K is unattainable

agree.

mumof1

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 4:43 am
I have a masters in speech and make $70 an hour.
I dont work that much only a few hours a week.
my parents own my apt. and support me fully.
my husband is in kollel.
I cant imagine 2 working fulltime having a hard time making $100,000
if they have degrees.

suomynona

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 5:55 am
So why don't you work a few more hours and save your parents some money?

bandcm

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 10:29 am
I was thinking the same suomynona!

amother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:04 am
suomynona wrote:
So why don't you work a few more hours and save your parents some money?

Some parents have enough money to give endlessly and not feel the lack thereof.

Flowerchild

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:07 am
true amother, but momof1 can make a ton of money with her degree, speech therapists make a lot of money, why not be independent?

dr pepper

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:29 am
Who is going to support mumof1's children? HER parents yet again?

red sea

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 11:40 am
amother wrote:
chavamom wrote:
Well, let your dh get a decent job and you go to law school....voila! $200K income.

Where are people getting the idea that lawyers average anywhere near 100-200K?
Only accountants and lawyers working for the Top Fortune 500 firms make that money! How many accountants and lawyers get those shmaltzy jobs?

Those jobs arent what they are cracked up to be, most people at those jobs are working enough hours a week to be working 2 jobs. Most of the guys we know at those companys regular work weeks are between 60 - 80 hours.

People who are vice presidents of banks make 300 - 400+ on a w-2 though I have absolutely no idea what they do.

Flowerchild

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 12:09 pm
[quote]dr pepper
Who is going to support mumof1's children? HER parents yet again?[quote]

good, wonderful. I have what to say to this but I will refrain, dont feel like arguing.

Mitzvahmom

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 12:12 pm
Actually Dr. Pepper... momof1 has a viable job! If she needed to work more hours she could and the pay would more than support herself/husband and children.. Unlike other families that do rely only on theirparents, she works a little bit as much as I am sure she needs..

oh well

tzipp

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 12:25 pm
I agree mitzvamom- momof1 is capable of supporting her family if she needs too, but it's great that she can be there for her kids for more hours at this time, it's great that her parents can do that. The are giving her kids a priceless gift- time with their mother. I don't think her situation has much to do with this conversation...

On topic... I was wondering if there is a chesed organization that helps people with financial planning. If there isn't there should be! and I think that couples should be encouraged to take advantage of it before they get married... and yearly after that- so many people could benifit from something like that.

amother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 2:19 pm
My DH is a lawyer, working for 4 years. This year he will make 200,000 plus bonus ( around 50,000). The starting salary at a big firm in NY is 140,000 these days. Where we live there are many drs. and lawyers, and they are all making around this much. If you go to a bad law school, do poorly and law school, or live outside NY you cannot make that much as a lawyer. IF you work in the NY metro area, go to a good law school, or an ok law school and do really well, then you will make this much.

Hannah!

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 8:31 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Mon, May 05 2008, 6:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Sun, Jan 07 2007, 8:41 pm
The lawyers I know that make over 200k work like "dogs" and never see their family. I would rather my husband make less and be home for the family more. I think it's important to have a balence. DH has, B"H, a good job that pays well but we both drive used cars and dress modestly. I am happy to make the sacrifice of having 1000+ less car payments a month and giving DH less pressure to earn money and more pressure to help out raising the kids. I don't want a husband that works 18 hour days and then comes homes plops in bed and doesn't see the kids until shabbos when he sleeps half the day. I think it's important to know that quality of living is also important.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics